RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

6 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Stellar work Anthony!  Your Phantom continues to set the standard. Your attention to detail really will make it all worthwhile at the end.

Was there a standard for the ladders? You did yours green, but the picture from Derek has it red, and I think I've seen yellow as well. Was it just whatever the ground crews had on hand?

Matt 

Hi Matt,

Originally, yellow, then NATO dark green later (you will notice that there is a standard green set of front red steps). As a manufacturer, we (BAe) had red steps (McDonnell Douglas used both yellow and red steps, but mostly yellow). I think that some of the RAF units that conducted major overhaul of the aircraft (and training units) occasionally used red steps as well (but these were mostly yellow as well in the main), but at operational squadron level, they were generally gloss yellow (late 60's to late 70's, then dark green thereafter. Looks like the RN FAA preferred red steps.

1102523-large.jpg 

9f8d7d2df8594840eeaf63e5561ebff5.jpg

006365767c97805245dc28cb2165eec8.jpg

ce1ea2065ef76afc152ed83a3b977dbb.jpg

xv424-royal-air-force-mcdonnell-douglas-

xt8732.jpg

76ac7d2b20464b20d112f2a085534940.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_mcd_phantom_f4k_767_nas_ye

scamptonservicing2.jpg

The above image is also BAe at RAF Scampton as per my images.

HTH

Derek

On 2/2/2024 at 12:08 PM, monthebiff said:

Looking good Anthony but when can we have some paint please :clap2:

Regards. Andy 

LOL, yes sir, as soon as I can....I hope I am not sub consciously stalling like I did with the cockpit :lol:

However I am excited to paint her once all the prep is finished.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:13 PM, geedubelyer said:

Smashing work on the ladder Anthony. Very realistic. 

Did you consider punching out discs of metal foil for the washers on the hot area?

This has become the ultimate F-4 build. So many beautiful details. Keep at it, you'll get there in the end. There's less of this elephant left to eat now. Remember, small bites ;)

Thanks!

Yes I did but the trials I did I just wasnt super happy with.  They still looked like they sat too proud and when I used thinner foil I struggled to get a clean  'çut' and when primering and buffing the surface they fell off or got easily damaged.  I had some PE discs but they looked like saucers stuck to the side in scale...

Actually you are right, I have almost eaten the Elephant, I definitely can see the end in sight now!

On 2/3/2024 at 12:34 AM, Derek B said:

Awesome ladder Anthony (much kudos to TonkaXV for producing such a fantastic set of ladders). Looks like you are making some real progress on this Anthony, even if the hot end is causing you some pain. 

My Phantom days with British Aerospace (BAe) back in the late 80's/early 90's:

Thank you my friend!  Yes those ladders saved me another scratchbuild job!  I always love your photo's and advice, you always inspire me!  Interesting to see several variations of the rear ladder too.....

19 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Stellar work Anthony!  Your Phantom continues to set the standard. Your attention to detail really will make it all worthwhile at the end.

Was there a standard for the ladders? You did yours green, but the picture from Derek has it red, and I think I've seen yellow as well. Was it just whatever the ground crews had on hand?

Matt 

Thanks Matt, and thanks Derek for providing such a detailed answer for me!

Not too much to add except Kerry's exceptional work on the nose leg continues....almost finished now, I think he said there is a little plumbing to still do.  During Kerry's study of the leg he noticed it was slightly assymetric (or very slightly off centre) You can see that in the top of the leg where the triangular flanges are bigger on one side compared to the other.  So aside from being thicker the FG.1 leg was very slightly offset.  Oh and the side u/c door opens up past 90deg

YOlNyK.jpg

p1whTa.jpg

P7vOCS.jpg

Cheers guys

Anthony

On 2/4/2024 at 1:28 PM, scvrobeson said:

Exceptional levels of research that are going into this build

Matt 

Thanks Matt, surprising myself at whats coming up as well.  Then you speak to the appropiate(usually groundcrew) person, they go ...oh yeah, we did that all the time or, yes that's how it should be etc.... Hopefully this is getting it all in one place for future Brit Phantom builds.

So, back to the 'hot area' I really need to deal with this as its what has me on the brink of walking away LOL.

So the rod insert thing seems to do the trick, painfully slow but working.  Here is a couple of pics of where I have got to.  As you can see there are still a few 'rogue' washers and some with dodgy screw holes in the centre, but I will fix those.  The aim here is to get close and then let everything cure and sink for a few days then hopefully I can do all the fine tuning and finish this side

Then of course there is the other side:wacko:

zuweHq.jpg

Note above also here there are extra washers/fasteners down the side panels too

Placed a reheat can in just to see how it looks overall

xEUZRt.jpg

U2qNLM.jpg

rt7HEh.jpg

Yikes these huge pictures really show up all the imperfections etc!

Still obviously a bit to go here to make it look better, but time to breathe, step back and look at the big picture again

ky6xNc.jpg

Might look at the Vari ramps while this area all cures

Cheers Anthony

This build just gets better and better!  Your skills are without equal.  But equally impressive are the number of fellow modelers who have lent their expertise to you to help you achieve this work.  And there are those who helped with aftermarket parts and their own custom made parts (e.g., TonkaXV, Kerry, et al.).

It is amazing to me how the internet has made our hobby what it is especially in the realm of one-on-one personal advice and assistance even going back to the old rec.models.scale in the early days of the web circa 1995.  :clap2:

13 minutes ago, amurray said:

This build just gets better and better!  Your skills are without equal.  But equally impressive are the number of fellow modelers who have lent their expertise to you to help you achieve this work.  And there are those who helped with aftermarket parts and their own custom made parts (e.g., TonkaXV, Kerry, et al.).

It is amazing to me how the internet has made our hobby what it is especially in the realm of one-on-one personal advice and assistance even going back to the old rec.models.scale in the early days of the web circa 1995.  :clap2:

Oh absolutely mate!  This build would be nothing without the help of a lot of other people.

I cant thank enough Kerry, @Derek B, @Gene K, @Greg W, @scjh, @Iain in the early days....... my goodness I am too scared to do a list because the help has been endless, even just the encouragement from people like yourself, @wunwinglow, @airscale, @chuck540z3, @Ali62, @Cees Broere, @Marcel111, @vvwse4, @Spooky56, @Starfighter, @AlbertD, @DonH, @Troy Molitor, @Tony T, @scvrobeson @Kagemusha, @LSP_Kevin, @mozart, @spyrosjzmichos@Barry, @GMK, @Chek, @jenshb, @Jet Passion, @Turecki, @Landrotten Highlander, @IainM, @jimbo59, @Rainer Hoffmann, @geedubelyer, @easixpedro, @D.B. Andrus, @MDuv,  @thierry laurent......honestly these are the names that just quickly pop into my head, but I know that as soon as I hit submit I am going to remember more, and I am going to feel terrible about that!  I honestly appreciate everyones help and support, as well as a bunch of guys over at Britmodeller!

And sadly, Mike @seiran01, it's all his fault!  He sold me the kit and conversion......and mate, I thought we were friends!:D

Sorry if I missed anyone out, I hate making lists like that because you invariably set yourself up to fall by forgetting someones valuable comment at just the right time, or part supplied to make my life a little easier.

THis hobby has changed for sure, but only for the good! 

Now I need to hurry up and finish this so you guys get a state of the art Brit Toom in 1/32!

Cheers Anthony

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh absolutely mate!  This build would be nothing without the help of a lot of other people.

I cant thank enough Kerry, @Derek B, @Gene K, @Greg W, @scjh, @Iain in the early days....... my goodness I am too scared to do a list because the help has been endless, even just the encouragement from people like yourself, @wunwinglow, @airscale, @chuck540z3, @Ali62, @Cees Broere, @Marcel111, @vvwse4, @Spooky56, @Starfighter, @AlbertD, @DonH, @Troy Molitor, @Tony T, @scvrobeson @Kagemusha, @LSP_Kevin, @mozart, @spyrosjzmichos@Barry, @GMK, @Chek, @jenshb, @Jet Passion, @Turecki, @Landrotten Highlander, @IainM, @jimbo59, @Rainer Hoffmann, @geedubelyer, @easixpedro, @D.B. Andrus, @MDuv,  @thierry laurent......honestly these are the names that just quickly pop into my head, but I know that as soon as I hit submit I am going to remember more, and I am going to feel terrible about that!  I honestly appreciate everyones help and support, as well as a bunch of guys over at Britmodeller!

And sadly, Mike @seiran01, it's all his fault!  He sold me the kit and conversion......and mate, I thought we were friends!:D

Sorry if I missed anyone out, I hate making lists like that because you invariably set yourself up to fall by forgetting someones valuable comment at just the right time, or part supplied to make my life a little easier.

Now I need to hurry up and finish this so you guys get a state of the art Brit Toom in 1/32!

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Every positive contribution - no matter how small or whom from - is a massive help and is instrumental to you achieving your ultimate goal, whether that be simply encouragement, technical information, insight or actual hardware, so I also extend my thanks to the many friends who have stood up to assist you...everybody has something to bring to the party! :)

Derek

The enjoyment or watching this build and all of the info that's come out of it is more than worth the price of admission. Sometimes I get an idea to go back and read through all 112 pages of it just to see the evolution of this project.  It's going to be immaculate when it crosses the finish line

Matt 

21 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Cheers Anthony

I mentioned only two of many.  No slight intended.

As regards Mike, we likely owe him high praise for knowing the proper modeler to whom to entrust the build.

Anthony,

Its all your fault. Thanks to you I had to persevere and look what happened. I have ended up with not one,

but two UK Phantoms, a FG-1 and FGR-2. The horror!:lol:

But seriously, as that Collins chap used to say, I still think that dreary grey livery you plan to use is wrong.

;):lol: