RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

Well I have actually been steady with progress, but with such things I didnt really have much to show until today

A package arrived in the mail from Kerry!

Somewhere in here is an FG.1 leg test print!

Br6Pam.jpg

I know that because I have seen this....

ZBRzpe.jpg

So I set about trimming and found this inside

SakvjN.jpg

Now for those who cant remember, the reason for the completely new leg is because it is very different to a std Phantom NLG.  Aside from the double extension with extra scissor link, the actual oleo itself is of a bigger dia and rakes rearward

He nailed it.... a perfect fit!

tqRPqA.jpg

An overall shot showing the rearward rake, only done by eye, not actually glued in properly of course.  I have started testing all the dimensions and so far so good!

qFexWw.jpg

Also an area that needed attention was the aux air doors top and lower.  Both sets needed scratchbuilding. First up are the lower ones, just basically layer upon layer of plasticard and raised rivet decals, followed by a layer of Mr Surfacer

J2I0Ub.jpg

ViL9n9.jpg

jLHiXa.jpg

Raised rivets and extra details on the other side....

zieMtE.jpg

And a comparison on the other side with the kit ones.  The kit ones are smaller and further back.

DWX5TU.jpg

m7wl2g.jpg

Apologies for the lack of updates, had a bit going on.  But still not stopped on this...she is still alive!

Cheers guys and thanks for stopping by

Anthony

Fantastic work from you Anthony (and, I assume, Kerry as well). That nose leg is gorgeous and looks so detailed - very definitely (and visually obvious) FG.1 nose leg! The auxiliary intake door modifications also look spot-on.

Thanks for the update.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

On 4/12/2024 at 6:59 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Awesome stuff, Anthony!

Kev

Thanks Kev, loving your airliner builds atm by the way!

On 4/12/2024 at 8:28 PM, Zola25 said:

That is pretty cool - This entire build is amazing.

/Niels

Thank you Niels!  Really appreciate it

On 4/12/2024 at 8:34 PM, Madmax said:

Epic, in many ways! I'm concerned that one day you are going to complete this... 

LOL I dont think I will know what to do with myself once it is finished.  Actually I am kinda hoping the Icelandic Fine Arts FA.2 Seaharrier or my good friend Tony's 1/32 Wasp he's printing me...

Although I should finish some stuff too lol

On 4/13/2024 at 5:14 AM, scvrobeson said:

Sweet looking new details!  Digging the new leg. Are they metal reinforced somehow to take the weight of the Phantom? 

Matt 

Hey Matt, yeah the new leg looks awesome dosent it?

I've done a few structural 'tests'and it is pretty darn strong, I have no worries it wont hold the weight of the kit

On 4/13/2024 at 6:35 PM, GMK said:

Maintaining a really impressive level of quality there, mate. Well done. 

Thanks buddy!  means a lot coming from you

On 4/13/2024 at 9:30 PM, Derek B said:

Fantastic work from you Anthony (and, I assume, Kerry as well). That nose leg is gorgeous and looks so detailed - very definitely (and visually obvious) FG.1 nose leg! The auxiliary intake door modifications also look spot-on.

Thanks for the update.

Derek

Thank you sir!  It's not without your help and photo's we could get it so accurate!

On 4/14/2024 at 12:06 AM, John1 said:

Glad you're still at it Anothony!  Nice work.  

Thanks John, I am super pleased you are still hanging in here!  I am still using your Phantom for some of my refs

On 4/14/2024 at 10:33 PM, jimbo59 said:

Your scratch building is impressive and that nose gear leg is going to make a big difference.

Thank you!  Yes that noseleg is is very different when you know.  

On 4/16/2024 at 12:40 AM, CJP said:

I've been wondering how the Phantom was going Anthony! - awesome work as usual.

Chris

Thanks Chris!  Really appreciate it my friend

Small update tonight

Undercoat of silver done before a little more tidy up on stuff you just wont probably see 

tT3TQf.jpg

On with some colour, sheesh that red is bright!

oYPDDu.jpg

Now toned down with an oil wash and flat coat.  This area got quite oily and sooty, considering how filthy the belly of the Phantom got it probably should be worse, but I didnt go too overboard

H0TzSP.jpg

On to something else now, running out of things to do before paint!

Cheers team, appreciate your feedback and likes

Anthony

Spot on Anthony (they look great). My Lightning is approaching a similar stage in some respects (OK, the main colours are on mine, but painting detail parts and areas are a never ending job!). I can't wait to see the paint go on to your model - it will really come to life with undoubtedly a level of awesomeness that is yet to be appreciated!

Cheers

Derek