Border He 111 35th Scale

Mark P

Hey, Hey, Hey Mr/Ms. Model Companies, may I propose you look at giving us  accurate, well engineered, not over engineered kits with unnecessary high part counts, in a scale that the market really wants, not trying to create a new scale-world, with subjects that have not been over done.  One subject that Revell 'fizzed' on was the Ju88. They never really carried through on all the potential variants, including 188s. Instead they issued theJu88 A4 Teknik kit with freeking motors and lights and a large price tag. There are many subjects that have not been fully pursued or pursued at all. Then there is the issue of higher costing kits with no real engineering advancements in design or moulding. We keep hearing about these technologies but no results in the kit boxes. The kit designers sometimes seem like they aren't kit builders. If they would attempt to build the kits they design and manufacture they would improve their designs after seeing the short-comings.  A philosophy of accuracy in their kits instead of a high number for parts would be appreciated. There is nothing wrong with accurate, high detail kits as long as good engineering is incorporated. I understand that some of us have different expectations from kits. Regardless, give us kits that can be built without spending twice the kit cost in after-market correction pieces that take a lot of fiddling-about to get to fit. And kits that require long build times because of short comings that have to be addressed to produce an acceptable model. Look at your competition for spare/hobby time. Folks want to maximize that precious time. Finally consider the average age of kit builders. At my age of 71, I look at my kit stash and know how many models I can build in a year.  I have to be selective to be able to potentially build all the subjects that interest me. Thanks for taking you time to read my post/rant.

Happy New Year 

Jager

4 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Border is a different beast ... they, like Dragon, are a producer of high levels of detail ... The problem is - some of their details are not all that accurate (Their early Tiger being a prime example). A good early tiger CAN be made from the parts in the box ... just not by following the instructions verbatim or for the decals specified (for the most part) ... Some of their kits require a LOT of putty and or sanding to get the fit right ... road wheels on their Pz.III's require some chopping of the pins to fit together correctly.

Most Border problems are in no way insurmountable ... but you have to intimately KNOW the subject you are dealing with (so you get parts selection right), and know how the parts are supposed to go together (so you can make adjustments BEFORE glue is applied) - in order to get your model done right.

Well that’s nothing I haven’t experienced from a Dragon kit, too. Their instructions often are questionable to say the least, and especially with their newer kits they increased the prices but decreased quality, especially when it comes to a new version of an older kit: You need to slice off this and to reposition that… And When I only think of those horrible DS tracks, that’s something Border never did.

Andreas

36 minutes ago, Mark P said:

And a Zero...and a Spitfire Vb, all in 1/35th scale.

As to if 35th catches on, I stand by my opinion. The key to this will be how the aftermarket community responds. Will we see a plethora of resin add-on bits, conversions and alternative decals? Time will tell....

Mark Proulx

Slight tangent - After buying so much AM, I think we should hold AM companies to a higher standard. It’s no reason their cockpits or bits should be too wide (F-104) or too short (F-15)

Bigger subjects in 1/35 does not sound bad to me, I used to build multi engined subjects in 1/48 but they were still very small and fiddley, I would be interested to see how big some of the four engined kits would turn out compared to 1/32 kits.

And no I am not interested in doing the maths to find out!

Cheers

Dennis

I, for one, will not venture into 1/35 for aircraft. It would have been nice if there weren't both scales so close together, but that ship has sailed. My stash is one of the smallest I know if, and I still probably won't get them all built, so I won't be adding 1/35 aircraft to my personal collection.

Tim

1 hour ago, Bill Cross said:

I guess this means some of y'all will buy my HE-111 and AM parts?

This will bring in NEW modelers; you guys built this plane YEARS ago. Why would you buy it if it were in 1/32nd scale?

Because if it was in 1/32 it would go with (scale wise) all the other models in my built collection and stash save some oddities in 24th and helicopters.

I'm with Tim on this one. I wish there weren't two scales SO close together, and wish Tamiya had never come out with the scale, but what's done is done.

It's pretty simple:

Don't like the scale?

Put your money towards other models in scales you do like.

Like the scale?

Buy it.

I will be spending my money on 1/32nd scale aircraft, as that is what my entire stash is made up of. Simple.

I won't be buying any He-111s in any scale, since it's not in my wheelhouse of interest.

That is the joy of living in today's world, if you don't like something, you can put your money elsewhere, and you don't have to support it if you want to.

10 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Pleased for those who are pleased, but ultimately I think if Border succeeds in 1/35 aircraft will be damaging to 1/32 so I hope the venture fails. I would rather model 1/48 than 1/35.

6 hours ago, Mark P said:

And a Zero...and a Spitfire Vb, all in 1/35th scale.

As to if 35th catches on, I stand by my opinion. The key to this will be how the aftermarket community responds. Will we see a plethora of resin add-on bits, conversions and alternative decals? Time will tell....

Mark Proulx

I do hope you are both wrong with this but fully get why you are thinking this as 32nd is the scale for LSP and always has been. Personally I would never buy a 35th scale plane at all. If I do buy another scale it would be 24th scale and only due to poor eye sight and I'm equally very happy with my Kotare Spitfire and Revell He-111 so Borders 35th scale stuff is of interest at all for me.

Regards. Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

I like what I am seeing coming from Border. As for AM, I really despise the fact that I have to buy improved/more detailed parts for a modern kit that should have those features already in the kit (Yes, I'm looking at you Eduard). I would really like to see kits that are highly detailed, and without a ludicris 500 parts count. There's really no reason for it with today's moulding technology. The more kits that enter the market, the more options we have regardless of what scale it is.