Border He 111 35th Scale

Mark P

Wow! ... It looks like Border are determined to standardise the scale! ... I must admit - I thought it would have been a very short run venture.

At one point - about 15 years or so ago - I expected Dragon to have a punt at 35th scale for aircraft ...

They were pumping out several very well detailed AND accurate armour kits on a MONTHLY schedule! ...

If anyone had the power to standardise a scale through volume (be it 32 or 35) it would have been that company.

Alas ... when they did venture into aircraft (with only a couple of aircraft types) - they committed to 32 scale ... 

Border is a different beast ... they, like Dragon, are a producer of high levels of detail ... The problem is - some of their details are not all that accurate (Their early Tiger being a prime example). A good early tiger CAN be made from the parts in the box ... just not by following the instructions verbatim or for the decals specified (for the most part) ... Some of their kits require a LOT of putty and or sanding to get the fit right ... road wheels on their Pz.III's require some chopping of the pins to fit together correctly.

Most Border problems are in no way insurmountable ... but you have to intimately KNOW the subject you are dealing with (so you get parts selection right), and know how the parts are supposed to go together (so you can make adjustments BEFORE glue is applied) - in order to get your model done right.

They ARE improving ... and their first ever releases (Pz.IV series) were well done in ALL aspects ... which is why Border have been a puzzle to most - why were some later subjects so poorly done? ... Not as bad as Trumpeter / Hobby Boss etc ... but not as good as Dragon, Takom, Meng etc

One thing CAN'T be questioned ... they are pumping out kits at a stunning rate - and selling them!

If 35 scale IS going to become a thing in aircraft, fast subject release volumes are needed ... and by all accounts Border seems up to the task here.

Also ... scale accuracy is a thing most manufacturers are mindful of ... along with good engineering choices ... fit and finish ... easy to follow instructions.

If these things are included alongside the detail ... they may be able to pull it off!

Rog :)

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

Pleased for those who are pleased, but ultimately I think if Border succeeds in 1/35 aircraft will be damaging to 1/32 so I hope the venture fails. I would rather model 1/48 than 1/35.

On the contrary, if it widens the range of large scale kits, makes the hobby more popular and stimulates demand, then bring it on. Larger aircraft become untenable in 1:32 as your spray booth is a fixed size. The 1:32 Lancaster looks incredible but how do you paint it and then what do you do with it ? 

I think the 111 looks fantastic. Well done !

And, before us see I a pathway to a big scale Do 17 or 217. 

The true scale converter for me has always been the McDonnell-Douglas F-4. That and the recce Voodoo, A-7, Thud and Six. Now those would all but kill 1/32 jets for me.

Funnily enough, and perhaps more realistic, I would love to see a 1/35 family of D H Mosquitos. 

Tony

And a Zero...and a Spitfire Vb, all in 1/35th scale.

As to if 35th catches on, I stand by my opinion. The key to this will be how the aftermarket community responds. Will we see a plethora of resin add-on bits, conversions and alternative decals? Time will tell....

Mark Proulx