Border He 111 35th Scale

Mark P

20 hours ago, Tony T said:

And, before us see I a pathway to a big scale Do 17 or 217...

Tony

3 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Maybe, MAYBE Border coming out with a He-111 will lead to us getting a big scale D0-17? ...

Yeah, that's what I thought yesterday. It's likely the quickest path. 

The Trumpeter/Hobbyboss catalogue should be out soon, listing possible new 1/32 LSP hopefuls — or maybe none. 

I still dream about a 1/32 F-106 and 1/48 Halifax. 

The thing that lets 1/32 down is the hopeless lack of ground support vehicles for Allied propeller planes. Thank goodness for Videoaviation for the jets. 

Tony

20 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Lovely He-111!  but make it bigger: 1/32 scale.  Just move the mouse or track ball cursor around to change the size.  It is not too late tje thing is in CAD.   All the lovely detail planned will kick the Revell kits butt.  The Revell kit will not come back for years.  No worries. OK now ready set go.  

I don't have any knowledge about Border's plans or business model, but I have studied the Asian kitmakers for many years and have been schooled by a good friend who owns one of the larger HK model companies. They don't give a flying **** about Revell or any other company, nor for the most part the American or European markets. They are producing for the Asian modeler, and they for the most part like value for money: lots of parts, because AM is hard to get in places like Vietnam, where I have modeler friends.

17 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Shame everything wasn’t all standardised as either 1/32 or 1/32 for tanks and airplanes- either scale would have worked for both

That's just it: the game was decided years ago, but the 32-scale crowd doesn't realize the parade has passed us by.

I ONLY build 32-scale because of my eyes and arthritic fingers. It's also a nice "Occam's razor" to prevent my stash from eating my house-- if a plane isn't in 1/32nd scale, then I don't build it (or worse from my wife's POV, buy it). But the market for 1/35th scale vehicles is already HUGE, so it makes no sense to continue with 1/32nd in styrene. I think we are likely witnessing the gradual retreat of that scale into resin and 3D. That statement will get me crossed off the Christmas card list by some of you, but it's a business and the manufacturers are following the market. We're tiny; 1/35th is ENORMOUS.

12 minutes ago, Bill Cross said:

I don't have any knowledge about Border's plans or business model, but I have studied the Asian kitmakers for many years and have been schooled by a good friend who owns one of the larger HK model companies. They don't give a flying **** about Revell or any other company, nor for the most part the American or European markets. They are producing for the Asian modeler, and they for the most part like value for money: lots of parts, because AM is hard to get in places like Vietnam, where I have modeler friends.

That's just it: the game was decided years ago, but the 32-scale crowd doesn't realize the parade has passed us by.

I ONLY build 32-scale because of my eyes and arthritic fingers. It's also a nice "Occam's razor" to prevent my stash from eating my house-- if a plane isn't in 1/32nd scale, then I don't build it (or worse from my wife's POV, buy it). But the market for 1/35th scale vehicles is already HUGE, so it makes no sense to continue with 1/32nd in styrene. I think we are likely witnessing the gradual retreat of that scale into resin and 3D. That statement will get me crossed off the Christmas card list by some of you, but it's a business and the manufacturers are following the market. We're tiny; 1/35th is ENORMOUS.

Great post and great point regarding the Asian market.  I don:t really give a whit as to 1/35 or 1/32 as I am not a constant theme or scale builder anyway.  I only disagree with one point, I am not sure this is the end of 1/32.  While Border is leading, we have not seen much yet from anyone else and we are seeing new 1/32 kits come out steadily.  Are ZM and Kotare going to change their scale of choice because of what Border is doing?  I doubt it but we will see.  I suspect we will have a schism, some 1/32 and some 1/35 but I am not sure we will see much change unless something really pushes them in the numbers game.  Right now the real players in 1/32 seem to be HK, ZM and coming along Kotare, everyone else does a 1/32 here and there.  I don:t see Tamiya if they do another LSP switching to 1/35.  

I would also take note soon we will have two LSP Kate’s one in 1/35 and one in 1/32.  However my first impression is that the 1/35 kit will be overall the superior kit from a build standpoint.  So for me I would get the kit the builds the best and ignore scale.  Once I see reviews and build issues if I buy one then I will decide.  The HE 111 cad looks amazing, makes me want one, but will I buy, probably not, I am kind of avoiding twin engine and bigger LSPs.  Is it an absolute, no, if I get the urge to buy I will but I do find myself wanting that plane.  A strength of the HE 111 is that big glass front with lots of visible detail.  Makes all the work worthwhile.  

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

Great post and great point regarding the Asian market.  I don:t really give a whit as to 1/35 or 1/32 as I am not a constant theme or scale builder anyway.  I only disagree with one point, I am not sure this is the end of 1/32.  While Border is leading, we have not seen much yet from anyone else and we are seeing new 1/32 kits come out steadily.  Are ZM and Kotare going to change their scale of choice because of what Border is doing?  I doubt it but we will see.  I suspect we will have a schism, some 1/32 and some 1/35 but I am not sure we will see much change unless something really pushes them in the numbers game.  Right now the real players in 1/32 seem to be HK, ZM and coming along Kotare, everyone else does a 1/32 here and there.  I don:t see Tamiya if they do another LSP switching to 1/35.  

I would also take note soon we will have two LSP Kate’s one in 1/35 and one in 1/32.  However my first impression is that the 1/35 kit will be overall the superior kit from a build standpoint.  So for me I would get the kit the builds the best and ignore scale.  Once I see reviews and build issues if I buy one then I will decide.  The HE 111 cad looks amazing, makes me want one, but will I buy, probably not, I am kind of avoiding twin engine and bigger LSPs.  Is it an absolute, no, if I get the urge to buy I will but I do find myself wanting that plane.  A strength of the HE 111 is that big glass front with lots of visible detail.  Makes all the work worthwhile.  

Thanks for the very sober reply. I LOVE 32 scale and build no Quarter Scale. I did not mean to imply there will NEVER be another styrene plane in 1/32nd, and if Border follows the recent Chinese model company business arc, they will be bust in a couple of years. It's a crazy "push as much **** out the door as possible to pay for the **** that was pushed out the door a month ago." And Tamiya may very well release some big planes, though interestingly ZM went to 1/48th for its line of Phantoms.

And note that Reskit chose to release 1/48th scale upgrades for the Thud and others BEFORE releasing them in 1/32nd.

Life is short, so an all-styrene HE-111 with a minimum of AM instead of the Revell styrene/AM monster in my stash is very tempting. Just sayin'.

1/32 is only tiny in the armor & helo market where 1/35th dominate.

1/35 is tiny in fixed wing aircraft, and I don't see either of those facts changing any time soon.

Plenty look like they will purchase a 1/35 fixed wing aircraft model....... but I see just as many responses here and elsewhere on the net from those like myself who will not.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

1/32 is only tiny in the armor & helo market where 1/35th dominate.

1/35 is tiny in fixed wing aircraft, and I don't see either of those facts changing any time soon.

Plenty look like they will purchase a 1/35 fixed wing aircraft model....... but I see just as many responses here and elsewhere on the net from those like myself who will not.

If I can interpret- I think Bill was saying that Border are producing for and selling to Asian Markets.

They have no interest on what people think on forums just how many units are sold overall.

I could see TrumpyBoss following this competition. HK models might have to reconsider. Kotare, ZM and Tamiya no idea, cant imagine it but who knows what the tipping point would be. But all those molds would have to be redone - but anything is possible 

TBC…

Edited by Pup7309

6 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

I concur Bill ...

I wondered why Dragon didn't shoot down that path ... or Trumpeter for that matter ... With the amount of 35th armour Dragon were hoofing out ... and now companies like Takom, Meng, Border etc ... It seems like an inevitable common sense decision to me.

I take it that the Asian market has a lower priority on scale accuracy ... Desirable, but not top of the list? Not a Pi$$ take - but a legitimate question! ...

Trumpeters 32nd scale (any scale really) is well known to be hit and miss at best ... I think Borders 35th scale Ju-87 was roundly critiqued also? - while their Fw.190A-6 was praised as wonderful ...

Most of the 32nd scale crowd place scale accuracy as a high priority if not the top priority ... Heard any whisperings of commitment to AM ... or are most, like me, waiting to see how the tide flows?

Rog :)

Regardless of scale, the He-111 does look like a nice kit.  I'd like to see a WIP of this one, however I'm unlikely to buy.  I need to whittle down my stash before I buy any more kits.

Cheers,

Michael

PS.  If anyone releases something that I really, really, really, really, really, really must have, then please disregard anything stated the above.

On 1/1/2024 at 2:18 PM, Duncan Doenitz said:

On the contrary, if it widens the range of large scale kits, makes the hobby more popular and stimulates demand, then bring it on. Larger aircraft become untenable in 1:32 as your spray booth is a fixed size. The 1:32 Lancaster looks incredible but how do you paint it and then what do you do with it ? 

I think the 111 looks fantastic. Well done !

uQDd9HU.jpeg

As far as the 1:32 Lancaster goes, built it, sprayed it with the window open, sold it. Funds the hobby:D

20 hours ago, Artful69 said:

I take it that the Asian market has a lower priority on scale accuracy ... Desirable, but not top of the list? Not a Pi$$ take - but a legitimate question! ...

Trumpeters 32nd scale (any scale really) is well known to be hit and miss at best ... I think Borders 35th scale Ju-87 was roundly critiqued also? - while their Fw.190A-6 was praised as wonderful ...

Most of the 32nd scale crowd place scale accuracy as a high priority if not the top priority ... Heard any whisperings of commitment to AM ... or are most, like me, waiting to see how the tide flows?

Hi, Rog,

I don't think the Asian customer is less-descriminating, but my Vietnamese modeler friends tell me they can't get most Tamiya kits, so they generally go with AFV Club. Vietnam is in conflict with China diplomatically over the Spratleys and Paracels, so Trumpeter is not popular and is dutied on entry. These are generalizations of course. AM is expensive and sometimes hard-to-get (Voyager is Chinese and also took a MASSIVE hit during the COVID crisis, so its stocks of product are WAAAAAY down; Eduard is from the Euro Zone and hard to get). There are some local 3D model companies starting up like B & L Models. Watch for them, they only do armor and civilian vehicles specific to VN, but it shows where the hobby is going.

11 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Lazy question but what would the wingspan difference be with a he111 roughly in both scales ? 
And say a mustang 1/32 and 1/35

Assume the He-111 wingspan is 74'.  In 1/32 that is 27.75" and in 1/35 it is 25.37"

I leave the exercise of determining scale wingspan of the P-51 to the interested reader.