Well, it's been a while... apologies in advance - this will be a long post as I have made some progress.
First up, landing lights. I experimented with strips of styrene sheet and PE offcuts, behind and outboard ('F' rib) of the opened up frame:
but I didn't like it at all, so I dug out the Cameo and drew up a section of rib and cut several from thin styrene sheet, then doubled-up these up with some square rod to form a box.
I cut the sides off the kit's frame and discarded the rear bit; the edges were then glued flush with the aperture, rather than protruding slightly from it as the kit would have it. I added the supporting rod using brass tube and a thinner lower frame from styrene strip. This all sits in front of the spar and rib sections:
I didn't add the inboard 'E' rib, as it doesn't really show up on photos of the real thing, unless the observer is really close to the aircraft - the bracing on the 'F' rib is far more noticeable. The kit side frames are still quite clunky; if I build another of these kits, I'll make my own frames. Not perfect, or even wonderful, but at least it [a] fits in the wing, [b] was fun to do (which is the main thing) and [c] does at least adds some depth and make it look like something is going on in the wing behind the lights.
The lights themselves needed modding to fit the new frame; studs cut down and a tab added to hold them in place on the support rod. I added a PE bulb support frame (thanks, Tolga ULGUR) and fuse wire for the leads:
Not too bad when painted up. Leads could do with being a tad lighter, to show up:
and - finally - mounted. Moving the side frames allows the lights to mounted inboard, as they should be, rather than central in the frame as the kit has them. The kit also has the lights pointing straight ahead; they should normally be angled 15º down. With the help of the gauge, they are! Hopefully you can see I also drilled out the outer gun barrels - I may yet replace them with brass because the lack of detail dismays me. I also added the hinge cover to the camera panel on the other wing, but no pic, sorry. Fit of the various wing inserts varied from OK to "ohhh".
And so, on to the undercarriage. Lots of cleanup required: here I've started work on the part on the left; the unmolested part on the right appears to have a halo (this was also apparent on the gear legs):
The gear doors feature moulded on brake lines, which end abruptly at the gear leg. I dislike moulded on things, so replaced these with (slightly overscale!) fuse wire, and silver tubing for the bushes:
under paint, with flexible piping added and gear legs in place (I added the filler port and brake hose connector to each) they don't look too bad. I used strips of Tamiya tape for the hose clips. Axle stubs had to be trimmed to allow the Eduard wheels I'll be using to sit up against the leg base. Fit was, as usual, loose - there was quite a gap between the straps on the legs and the pads on the doors which all needed filling. The unpainted sections allow easy handling; I'll paint those before final assembly.
The brake lines having now reached the top of the legs, the rest needs to be added. More brass rod and silver tubing:
these fit into the outer section of the gear bays (here just dropped in, so not quite in position):
and finally under paint. I will add the flexible sections between bay and legs just before fitting the latter.
Major milestone: after opening up the vents in wing root and right-hand upper cowling (I may yet also do something with the two vents/pipes below the exhaust opening), the wings are finally attached - after a lot of uncomplimentary words about the fit. As others have commented, the root leading edge join (particularly) was not good and took a lot of work to get it to look even vaguely acceptable. I see rescribing in my future.
[Side note: it required quite a bit of effort to close the horizontal join properly - I felt the usual thin liquid would not be strong enough, and regular glue would take too long to set, so I used MEK which provided an almost instant, strong weld. I will be using it more often!]
Next up: radiator tub and exhausts, then I'll run out of excuses and will have to start throwing paint around.
Cheers for looking - me, I'd rather look at Pastor John's beautiful work!