Kotare teaser - it's a Bf 109K!

mozart

38 minutes ago, discus said:

Indeed, there is already so much to do with WW2 fighters, I think they can easily stick to this theme for ages and some planes are pretty good money printers. And many have been fairly mistreated by the likes of Trumpeter or other kit manufacteurs. Other are simply not up the nowadays standard.

The other day, someone pointed out that we don't have a proper Hawker Typhoon kit in 1/32 (1/24 Airfix may be too big for some of us, me included). Although this may not be a garanteed money printer this was a pretty significant aircraft in the allied forces.

Late Corsair variants have been blatently ignored in recent productions, same for the P-51 B/C...

I was disappointed to see yet another 109 but I understand the K variant has no decent kit so far.

So it's probably a good move from Kotare: people who desperatly wanted a decent 109K will be (hopefully) satisfied and for the others "less knowledgeable people, they'll be happy because it's a modern 109 kit).

There is however one risk (hence the hopefully between brackets in the previous sentence) : it's a 109 and there is no room for errors or misunterpretation from Kotare.

Every "self appointed Expertens" and rivet counter wil spend the next month disecting any 3D rendering, test shot and picture and will decide that the kit is bull***t because rivet n° 72 somewhere where nobody will see it is not exacly where it should be....

You are right but the 109K is actually well-documented from a technical perspective and this also applies now to most other 109 marks.  So the risk is low. Note documentation was far more limited when the Hasegawa 109 were released.

2 hours ago, discus said:

Indeed, there is already so much to do with WW2 fighters, I think they can easily stick to this theme for ages and some planes are pretty good money printers. And many have been fairly mistreated by the likes of Trumpeter or other kit manufacteurs. Other are simply not up the nowadays standard.

The other day, someone pointed out that we don't have a proper Hawker Typhoon kit in 1/32 (1/24 Airfix may be too big for some of us, me included). Although this may not be a garanteed money printer this was a pretty significant aircraft in the allied forces.

Late Corsair variants have been blatently ignored in recent productions, same for the P-51 B/C...

I was disappointed to see yet another 109 but I understand the K variant has no decent kit so far.

So it's probably a good move from Kotare: people who desperatly wanted a decent 109K will be (hopefully) satisfied and for the others "less knowledgeable people, they'll be happy because it's a modern 109 kit).

There is however one risk (hence the hopefully between brackets in the previous sentence) : it's a 109 and there is no room for errors or misunterpretation from Kotare.

Every "self appointed Expertens" and rivet counter wil spend the next month disecting any 3D rendering, test shot and picture and will decide that the kit is bull***t because rivet n° 72 somewhere where nobody will see it is not exacly where it should be....

And as a non- exported who wouldn’t know an f from a k I don’t give a crap. 

Edited by LSP_Mike
Remove implied profanity

I do have to wonder a little about this.  If Kotare's big reason for coming out with (yet another %^&*$# 109, that even has an already kitted competitor of the same type, not to mention numerous versions already out there) this kit is because it's popular, why on earth not do a P-51B?  Surely that would be at least as popular as this version?

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

So can they use the -k version and backdate it to a G-6 or just a G14? Similar airframe?

Nope, from approximately the instrument panel forward is totally different between 109K-4/G-10 and the G-6/G-14 series.  IF they continue with a similar kit, the next logical choice would be the Bf109G-10 (notwithstanding the various manufacturing facility (WNF/Diana, MTT, Erla) differences.

Edited by Juggernut

1 minute ago, Gazzas said:

They did say they were going to build what they wanted...   so somebody wanted a 109.  Which is always cool with me.  I wonder if they'll drop a few versions of 109's like they did with the Spitfire before coming out with a new type.  Wouldn't that be sweet?

No! :P

39 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

They did say they were going to build what they wanted...   so somebody wanted a 109.  Which is always cool with me.  I wonder if they'll drop a few versions of 109's like they did with the Spitfire before coming out with a new type.  Wouldn't that be sweet?

That’s my recollection too - I’m sure the Kotare team said they were going to produce kitsets that they have a passion for. Though I suspect commercial interests may dictate the subjects of the first few kitsets.

If your wish list fits their passion, you’re in luck. 

3 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Well Mark C, that seems to be the 64 dollar question. ZM is working on one, Revell turned it down flat, Tamiya and Hasegawa are taking a break from 1/32, so that leaves ICM, Special Hobby, and Kotare.

Hm.  If ICM does it, it will likely be great.  Let's hope they do.