Kotare teaser - it's a Bf 109K!

mozart

32009 might be a BAC Model 167 Strikemaster, but more likely something propellery if it's an aircraft kitset.

The last time we had this round of conjecture I was thinking ground support gear or Brian Lane's wife Eileen Ellison and her Bugatti racing car.

Tony 

Slightly depressing to see Kotare follow the Wingnut Wings playbook, and label kits as "sold out", whilst releasing multiple kits of the same subject. Ultimately, the WNW strategy failed, and I'm not sure there are enough people willing to pay almost £100 for each multiple early 1/32 Spitfire kits? The market is only so big, as WNW discovered, especially with 1/32 Spitfires being available in multiple, cheaper options, albeit not the same quality. I'm finding it peculiarly easy to not want, or purchase, any Kotare Spits other than the 1 kit. If Kotare hope to follow the WNW model and basically scare people into buying a kit before it's "sold out", I'm not sure that's going to work? My mind keeps coming back to WNW, with it's 3 Felixstowe boxing's, 5 Fokker Eindecker versions, untold Fokker D.VII offerings,  seemingly endless Camel kits, various Albatros boxing's, etc. 

Or am I just a miserable old git?

4 hours ago, DeanKB said:

Slightly depressing to see Kotare follow the Wingnut Wings playbook, and label kits as "sold out", whilst releasing multiple kits of the same subject. Ultimately, the WNW strategy failed, and I'm not sure there are enough people willing to pay almost £100 for each multiple early 1/32 Spitfire kits? The market is only so big, as WNW discovered, especially with 1/32 Spitfires being available in multiple, cheaper options, albeit not the same quality. I'm finding it peculiarly easy to not want, or purchase, any Kotare Spits other than the 1 kit. If Kotare hope to follow the WNW model and basically scare people into buying a kit before it's "sold out", I'm not sure that's going to work? My mind keeps coming back to WNW, with it's 3 Felixstowe boxing's, 5 Fokker Eindecker versions, untold Fokker D.VII offerings,  seemingly endless Camel kits, various Albatros boxing's, etc. 

And yet I seem to remember you had a huge stock of WNW kits in your purpose-built shed Dean! 

5 hours ago, DeanKB said:

You're reading way too much into it.

4 hours ago, mozart said:

And yet I seem to remember you had a huge stock of WNW kits in your purpose-built shed Dean! 

Guilty as charged!

The primary reason I've got so many WNW kits is because of WNW's "sold out" signs - it's natural that a limited supply will ensure demand is always in excess of supply, which not only powers demand, but keeps prices higher than they otherwise would be. Having said that....WNW's demise suggests the people who seemed to benefit the most from it all were - and are - those who subsequently sold their kits for a healthy profit. I'm guilty on both sides, having sold a Gotha for silly money on EBay, but also paid over the odds for, example, FE.2b & Albatros B.II kits.

I just don't want Kotare to go the same route. Nothing against Kotare, their 1a kit is the best early 1/32 Spitfire on the market, I just find the "sold out" frustrating and artificial, in a world where the marginal cost of getting more kits manufactured is lower than the cost of the original run?

This is the economist & accountant in me talking.

17 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

Guilty as charged!

The primary reason I've got so many WNW kits is because of WNW's "sold out" signs - it's natural that a limited supply will ensure demand is always in excess of supply, which not only powers demand, but keeps prices higher than they otherwise would be. Having said that....WNW's demise suggests the people who seemed to benefit the most from it all were - and are - those who subsequently sold their kits for a healthy profit. I'm guilty on both sides, having sold a Gotha for silly money on EBay, but also paid over the odds for, example, FE.2b & Albatros B.II kits.

I just don't want Kotare to go the same route. Nothing against Kotare, their 1a kit is the best early 1/32 Spitfire on the market, I just find the "sold out" frustrating and artificial, in a world where the marginal cost of getting more kits manufactured is lower than the cost of the original run?

This is the economist & accountant in me talking.

I believe part of the issue is the fact they subcontract the production of all the components. So I'm not convinced the production costs will go down and you still have minimum production numbers per run. Being sure the produced batch is fully sold is surely the best cost/benefit approach for a young company. So even if somewhat frustrating for the customer I think this makes full sense for the producer.

I’m ready to admit that I wasn’t going to order the mid-Spit and it was the “sold out” that made me order one from Jadlam. Having said that and seeing the kit and started researching, I have no regrets whatsoever! So SOLD OUT worked! Perhaps I’m just gullible! :rolleyes:

Edited by mozart