Kotare Models - a New Venture from Former Wingnut Wings Staff

LSP_Kevin

11 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

A nice CAD image of the Spitfire's cockpit has been posted on Facebook by the Kotare team:

Kotare Spit cockpit CAD

But seriously, is there any aircraft ever that has been the subject of more scale model kits than the Spitfire?  Do we need another one?  I can appreciate the instinct for a new venture to try and start with a guaranteed money maker, but honestly these guys have such a stellar reputation that any kit they produce will sell out.  So why not do something more original?

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

But seriously, is there any aircraft ever that has been the subject of more scale model kits than the Spitfire?  Do we need another one?  I can appreciate the instinct for a new venture to try and start with a guaranteed money maker, but honestly these guys have such a stellar reputation that any kit they produce will sell out.  So why not do something more original?

Because, as discussed already in this thread, it makes sense for a new company to start off with a big moneyspinner

Richard

54 minutes ago, Alex said:

I'm not a great Spitfire fan as such but appreciate its lines and I'm definitely buying this kit, which looks like it will wipe the floor with any Tamiya offering.

I just hope they soon after do a Griffon, and maybe a pink recce. Yes, more Spitfires. My single digit aged days were spent on RAF airfields and every one of them had a real Spitfire gate guard. Of course, I took them for granted at the time.

Tony 

With Spitfires, because they developed and evolved so much, each mark almost needs to be assessed as a separate subject. And yes, whilst there a number of available Spitfire models in 1/32 / 1/24 scale, there are some serious gaps in the marks covered.. and there isn't a modern 1/32 Mk.I or indeed the later/Griffon powered variants.

43 minutes ago, Tony T said:

I'm not a great Spitfire fan as such but appreciate its lines and I'm definitely buying this kit, which looks like it will wipe the floor with any Tamiya offering.

Well, I have not yet looked in detail at the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire that's in my stash, but if it's as good as their 1/32 Zero and Mustang (both of which I have built), it's going to be darn hard to "wipe the floor" with it.  Marginally better, sure - marginal improvements are always possible.

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well, I have not yet looked in detail at the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire that's in my stash, but if it's as good as their 1/32 Zero and Mustang (both of which I have built), it's going to be darn hard to "wipe the floor" with it.  Marginally better, sure - marginal improvements are always possible.

I have built three of the Tamiya Spitfire Mk IX.  I consider it probably the finest model kit ever made.  The engine assembly is more complex than the mustang.  The interior is pretty astounding.  With that said the Kotare interior just shown is even more detailed and refined than the Tamiya kit.  However Kotare have said they are not doing engine detail in this kit.  So it will be airframe and cockpit.  However that will keep cost down some.  I don:t consider myself a Spitfire fan but TAmiya has done them so well in 1/48 and 1/32 that they are worth building for the build alone.  I have also built two each of the Tamiya mustang and Corsair and one of their Zero.  So I know my way around these kits.  I likely will buy and build the Kotare Mk I and look foreword to whatever else they will offer.  I don:t care for engines unless it is Tamiya because they like to do removable cowlings.  I own:t like commitment when it comes to permenantly opening the cowling.  

1 hour ago, Alex said:

It's all relative to perspective. I would love to see the engine deleted altogether and a very smooth metal bearing for a turning propeller engineered into these kits, along with a more realistic surface finish. The latter is necessary for grown-up models, the former because we all need executive toys. 

Tony 

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

With that said the Kotare interior just shown is even more detailed and refined than the Tamiya kit.  However Kotare have said they are not doing engine detail in this kit.  So it will be airframe and cockpit.  However that will keep cost down some.   

I wonder who will be the first to try and kitbash these - Kotare cockpit with the full-blown Tamiya engine?  Would take some serious confidence in one's skills to start with the intention of cutting up two expensive kits, but lots of potential.

52 minutes ago, Alex said:

I wonder who will be the first to try and kitbash these - Kotare cockpit with the full-blown Tamiya engine?  Would take some serious confidence in one's skills to start with the intention of cutting up two expensive kits, but lots of potential.

The Mk. IX had a different type of Merlin Engine, plus the area north of the firewall was slightly longer on the Spitfire IX compared to the Mk. I.  The person attempting such a bash would have to be quite a skilled kit basher.  Something I would not, try.