Kotare Models - a New Venture from Former Wingnut Wings Staff

LSP_Kevin

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Well, I have not yet looked in detail at the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire that's in my stash, but if it's as good as their 1/32 Zero and Mustang (both of which I have built), it's going to be darn hard to "wipe the floor" with it.  Marginally better, sure - marginal improvements are always possible.

To most modellers I think you are right Alex. To ‘aficionados’ of the Spitfire the Tamiya kit misses a bit with externals. The Spitfire had overlapping panels, and raised rivets on the rear fuselage at least up to some of the early Mk IX’s (IIRC). A combination of Tamiya 1/32 detail and accuracy with the first Revell 1/32 Mk I external detail (though they also missed the overlapping panels, they got the fastener details down well) would be great, and it looks like Kotare are doing this. Engine detail is a nice added extra; lets face it though, most kits are assembled with cowls closed up. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see an engine kit come out from Kotare, and then there are all those after market companies (Eduard Brassin is a shoe in isn’t it?)

Interesting to see the bulkhead behind the instrument panel in the 3D render - I thought this came in later in production, around the Mk V (?)

Do we need ‘another’ Spitfire Mk I? I’m with Jennings - Hell yeah! What’s around at the moment ain’t that great so it will fill a void, believe it or not - a decent (though it looks like it’ll be amazing) Mk I.

Edited by Pete Roberts

22 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

A nice CAD image of the Spitfire's cockpit has been posted on Facebook by the Kotare team:

Kotare Spit cockpit CAD

Now that’s just...

If this was a forthcoming super-detailed 1/18 kit, I’d say, “That looks fantastic.” This level of detail in 1/32 scale is incredible. This is the great Spitfire I’ve been waiting for.

Thanks for posting that CAD, Zac.

Adam

The Revell kits in all their iterations have substantial problems - my best shot is the 1960s kit fuselage with the 8 gun wing issued with the Hasegawa

Mk Vb re-pop - but if Kotare are bringing fully contemporary moulding with overlapped panels and aft fuselage dome head rivets then they'll surpass my efforts for sure.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:26 PM, Alex said:

But seriously, is there any aircraft ever that has been the subject of more scale model kits than the Spitfire?  Do we need another one?  I can appreciate the instinct for a new venture to try and start with a guaranteed money maker, but honestly these guys have such a stellar reputation that any kit they produce will sell out.  So why not do something more original?

Tru dat. Any suggestions?

On 9/28/2021 at 8:53 AM, npb748r said:

ah, don't mention this to my wife however that's where a bottle of wine followed by access to the internet sent me down the naughty path - I now have 3 Fly hurricanes to sit along side the spits...........now repeat and learn - I must not access the internet when I've had a drink, I must not access the internet when I've had a drink !

The proud owner of a pile of very nice P-47 and P-51 pin-up decals recently.. For the very same reason.. ;) Well, it was beer.. But still..

2 hours ago, Paramedic said:

The proud owner of a pile of very nice P-47 and P-51 pin-up decals recently.. For the very same reason.. ;) Well, it was beer.. But still..

I think you guys are still better than me, because I make similar purchases without alcohol. I'm afraid rehabilitation is necessary for me

On 11/1/2021 at 9:02 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

What’s been shown to date is orders of magnitude better than anything that’s come before. 

Could not agree more, what Kotare is showing for that cockpit rivals what could be done in resin.  There might be some room for some payoffs here by the resin industry to get Kotare to tone it down a bit.

9 minutes ago, Natdnatd said:

You guys will have to excuse me for being cautiously optimistic. This could easily end up on the shelves next to HK's Brit Phatnom and early Mustang. Or Tan Models Su-33 and SR-71. Maybe even Sprue Brothers entire line of 32nd Phantoms. Oh wait...

I dont know why these companies like to blow their load before they have anything tangible. Would think the now defunct AMK would have been a shining example of not overpromising. 

I do feel Kotare has a bit of the been there done that T-Shirt so my expectation is they know what it takes to deliver and have put in place the resources to do so.  They also have not went out on a limb with an over ambitious project.  This looks like a through detail job on the exterior with an outstanding cockpit and they are going to stop there instead of doing engine and running up the cost.  You are absolutely right though so lets see what materializes.  

I feel very strongly that some newer manufacturers have tried to too hard and failed because of it.  AMK tried to do everything and make the ultimate kits instead of focusing on fundamentals, really same with HK.  Some of these kits are just too ambitious and on too thin of a margin.  Even WNW had those problems, too many obscure and overpriced subjects at the expense of the bottom line.  Then one day someone woke up and said it is costing too damn much money and WNW gets put on the shelf.  

Edited by cbk57

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

I do feel Kotare has a bit of the been there done that T-Shirt so my expectation is they know what it takes to deliver and have put in place the resources to do so.  They also have not went out on a limb with an over ambitious project.  This looks like a through detail job on the exterior with an outstanding cockpit and they are going to stop there instead of doing engine and running up the cost.  You are absolutely right though so lets see what materializes.  

I feel very strongly that some newer manufacturers have tried to too hard and failed because of it.  AMK tried to do everything and make the ultimate kits instead of focusing on fundamentals, really same with HK.  Some of these kits are just too ambitious and on too thin of a margin.  Even WNW had those problems, too many obscure and overpriced subjects at the expense of the bottom line.  Then one day someone woke up and said it is costing too damn much money and WNW gets put on the shelf.  

I think that is very well said, and a very real possibility. That said, I wish them the best, and hope they can make it successful. I will most likely be a customer.

1 hour ago, Natdnatd said:

I dont know why these companies like to blow their load before they have anything tangible. Would think the now defunct AMK would have been a shining example of not overpromising. 

It's creating a market, they can't suddenly announce the kit when it's ready to ship.