I'm back! Sorry for the month and a half delay in updates, I made the mistake of going down the F-4C / Operation Bolo wormhole. Finally decided to take a break from sanding bogus panels off the Tamiya F-4C fuselage and do a bit of work on Little Bunny. Unlike the Mosquito I just built, the Hase kit is amazingly simple with very few parts. That being said, the detail is pretty nice, especially given the age of the kit. All I've added to the fuselage was to thin out the engine cooling doors under the nose and the opening in the tailplane for the elevator linkage. After that, it was simply a matter of popping in the cockpit and gluing the fuselage together. Not sure if there are some fit issues or I botched the installation of the resin cockpit but I did have some gaps that needed to be sanded and puttied. After that, I bit of re-scribing and replaced a few rivets. One mod I did make was to saw off and lower the engine mounting stub a few mm's. From other builds, it appears that if you don't do this, your cowling will be sitting a bit too high.
Next up - the engine. I used the Quickboost R2800. It's a nice replica and cheap as well. I thought about getting the Vector engine but it's pricey and honestly, for this application, all you are going to see is the front. If I was planning on leaving some cowling panels off, I would have spent much more time here but given that's not the case, all I added were the pushrods and ignition leads. Neither of these items is my best work but again, from the viewing angle, they don't have to be perfect.
One last modification - the version of the R2800 used in these aircraft have some very unique magneto housings. Hasegawa missed this entirely, as did Quickboost. See below (picture graciously provided by LSP's own "Juggernut".
To get something close to these magnetos, I took the ones that came in the QB kit, reversed them and added some styrene details. Being positioned as they are, a lot of the crude details I added really won't be very visible through the cowl opening. Here's my take on this engine:
For weathering I did a black wash on the cylinders and then used Flory's "Grime" wash on the crankcase and between the cylinders. I plan on going back and cleaning off a bit of the Flory wash in the pic directly above.
Here's the engine press-fitted in place, looks like I need to touch up the black around a few of those bolt-heads. Remember - you'll never see the tops of those cylinders once the cowling is glued on.
Last item will be a Pratt & Whitney logo on the front of the crankcase. Unlike the picture of the real thing above, engines in combat service got filthy very quickly. Between the dust, oil leaks, maintenance being done outdoors in all weather, it didn't take long for the engines to develop a nice crusty patina.
Along similar lines, the cowling interior was NMF but this wouldn't stay clean for very long either. I mucked up the inside with more Flory wash, I plan on going back to add some oil spillage later. It looks horrible below but when viewed with engine in place, from the front, I think it will look pretty decent. I checked, the knockout pin impressions on the interior won't be visible once the engine is in place!
So that's it for now. Gotta get back to sanding my F-4 fuselage, thanks for looking and have a good weekend!