Any news about the Tamiya 1:32 scale F-22 Raptor ?

PieterGSXR

Others have speculated it’s due to a limited market since no other country has ever flown the F-22. I’d be in for one. I built the old Testors YF-22 years ago, but now long gone.  Got another kit thinking I could mod it to look like a F-22.  No way, just too much surgery for me to try, so I’ll build it as the YF again. 
There’s not a whole lot of kits I’d invest in these days with my stash as big as it is, but an F-22 and an F-35B, I would not hesitate. 

Any news about the Tamiya 1/32 anything ?

As the USAF failed to invest in updates to the early production F-22 Block, those are shortly getting the chop. Then the rest will follow when NGAD emerges. You're not likely to get another kit ever in 1/32, bar a 3D print, even if some unit paints one up like the FLANG's City of Jacksonville Six.

Now, the Delta Dart, that's one I'm waiting for. Go on Trumpy, upscale your 1/48 offering. You know you want to, don't you?!

Tony

Whenever this topic comes up, I repeat the same thing from people within the industry.

Tamiya got badly burned with the 1/32 Mosquito kit (as in no one bought the thing) and they have officially decided to get out of 1/32 scale.  The fact that they have launched NOTHING in that scale for so long now seems to verify this.

But Tamiya is quirky and they like to do whatever they feel like doing.

Could they do a 1/32 aircraft in the future? Of course!  I think it's best to assume this will NOT happen however, and then be very pleasantly surprised when it does.

And if it does, I am hoping for anything German from WWII, not an F-22, which is not a very interesting aircraft to my eye, but then everyone has their own tastes and interests.  

I have hoped for a while that they would up-size their new 1/48 Bf-109G6 kit to 1/32, with some extra work added of course...but you would think they have a big head start on that one.  And still nothing!

I just don’t understand Tamiya how Tamiya got burned so badly by the Mosquito.  I realize that when it came out, the price was quite high by the standards of the time, but is $204 (current Scalehobbyist cart price) really that outrageous in late 2022?  HKM is selling $300 B-17s and Lancs..It’s not like the Mosquito wasn’t a popular aircraft or the FB Mk.VI wasn’t a popular version, or that Tamiya operates on the margins such that one poor selling kit jeopardizes the company.  Not really sure what happened here.

Also not sure why they wouldn’t release the B Mk.IV, especially if the mold for the new sprues already exists.  The way to make the money spent for the molds back is to sell models made from the mold.

The allegedly disappointing sales of the 1/32 Mosquito FB.VI didn't jeopardize the company, but maybe gave them a f***-that attitude for a bit. 

When their pride recovers maybe they'll consider 1/32 aircraft again, though I'm inclined to think Ki-43 Nakajima Hayabusa.

Tony

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

just don’t understand Tamiya how Tamiya got burned so badly by the Mosquito.  I realize that when it came out, the price was quite high by the standards of the time, but is $204 (current Scalehobbyist cart price) really that outrageous in late 2022?  HKM is selling $300 B-17s and Lancs..It’s not like the Mosquito wasn’t a popular aircraft or the FB Mk.VI wasn’t a popular version, or that Tamiya operates on the margins such that one poor selling kit jeopardizes the company.  Not really sure what happened here.

Also not sure why they wouldn’t release the B Mk.IV, especially if the mold for the new sprues already exists.  The way to make the money spent for the molds back is to sell models made from the mold.

I'm not sure it's just about the price - I've not got the kit and it's one I wont buy. Price is one reason but I can overcome that if the desire is enough, the trouble is it's not. For me it's over engineered and too detailed, there's simply too much kit there, I will get bored halfway through and it will sit on my SoD. Or I would simply waste the internal details (eg engines) that can't be seen once the panels are closed by not using them. The price then kicks in, I'm paying big money for plastic that will go in the bin. It's why I've never bought a Tamiya or ZM kit. There's just way too much detail and over engineering for my simple approach to modelling.

I must be out of step with the rest of the world as I bought and built the Tamiya Mosquito and thought it absolutely great and worth every penny. See below. Now if Tamiya would only make a 1/32 version of their P-38 to compliment the Mosquito, life would be great. Just think, twin Allison engines (heck, even just one of the two would be fantastic), a big beautiful gun bay, a cockpit that can easily be viewed, lots of interesting subjects flown by famous pilots..... True, there is (was?) the Trumpeter kit but a Tamiya kit would be so much better!

pmDR105.jpg