Well hmmm ...

MikeMaben

5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

What should be a joyous event, turned into an abysmal dirge of whining.

It must be difficult to get out of bed each day.

The nondescript topic header "Well, hmmm..." set a slightly negative mood starting point.

I've said it before and I'll repeat myself: if Border start making accurate 1/35 kits of Vietnam era jets I'll buy — lots. 

The Val and Kate might appeal as rainy holiday OOB builds to stick on Shelf B until this scale gathers more momentum — in the jets arena to which it's ideally suited. A lot of the time, 1/48 is just unsatisfyingly dinky and 1/32 just a tad too cumbersome.

A Vietnam era F-105D/F, RF-101C and F-102A would be so thoroughly satisfying, as would some LTV A-7s, an RA-5C and... well, I'm allowed to dream aren't I?!

Tony

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

The nondescript topic header "Well, hmmm..." set a slightly negative mood starting point.

I've said it before and I'll repeat myself: if Border start making accurate 1/35 kits of Vietnam era jets I'll buy — lots. 

The Val and Kate might appeal as rainy holiday OOB builds to stick on Shelf B until this scale gathers more momentum — in the jets arena to which it's ideally suited. A lot of the time, 1/48 is just unsatisfyingly dinky and 1/32 just a tad too cumbersome.

A Vietnam era F-105D/F, RF-101C and F-102A would be so thoroughly satisfying, as would some LTV A-7s, an RA-5C and... well, I'm allowed to dream aren't I?!

Tony

The difference between 1/32 & 1/35 is what, 10% or so? Does a 10% difference turn a "cumbersome" kit into something not cumbersome? It just seems such a small change.

I‘ll definitely buy one. I‘ll also buy an infinity one. I always wanted to try out putting a torpedo plane over a water surface, having just dropped its torpedo. 
Yes, at model shows, I’ll add a plate of sweets for those who should spontaneously start to cry because it’s only 1:35 scale… :D

Andreas

39 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

The difference between 1/32 & 1/35 is what, 10% or so? Does a 10% difference turn a "cumbersome" kit into something not cumbersome? It just seems such a small change.

You would think not but it does. 

I could imagine making 3-4 1/35 Corsair IIs, all but one with folded wings, and the Tomcat and Thud would be great in 1/35 — as LSP Ray pointed out, much more manageable in volume and surface area, yet still big enough to get realistic demarcation lines and have some LSP heft.

It also would allow for some new tools. 

If Border did a Mosquito or Beaufighter in 1/35 I'd be all over them too, and do some Tamiya etc support vehicles to go with 'em.

Tony 

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

I think the only place this works is with figures because adult humans are all different sizes.  Setting a 1/35 scale Kate next to a 1/32 Zero 21 is gonna look a little odd.

I don't know if I will buy one of these or not, but that carrier dec section with this plane sounds really impressive and I look foreword to seeing that combo built up.  I have seen it said that this makes no sense in 1/35 but with a dio it starts to.  1/32 as I have been told is 10% larger so once you go carrier deck section dio you reduce the footprint of the whole thing by 10% compared to 1/32 and size will be an issue when you combine the two.  For my part I am much more interested in that combo of plane and dec section.

3 hours ago, Jan_G said:

seems that Border will supply Akagi bridge and flight deck in 1/35. ...this could drive sales of Kate

:rofl: I seriously doubt that there are all that many ship builders that prefer 1/35 scale, and REALLY want an airplane to go with their boats. 

17 hours ago, GSNeil said:

...more concerned with well made kits than scale.... B)

There are plenty of options for Kate kits in 1/48 and 1/72 calling for you, then.

D

9 hours ago, Tony T said:

... The nondescript topic header "Well, hmmm..." set a slightly negative mood starting point.

No offense Tony , but that's a bit oxymoronic. If it's nondescript, it can't be negative.

I posted it as I wondered what the reactions would be, though I knew they'd be all over the map.

You know, an opinionated topic for discussion , something I like.

I personally don't have a preference for any particular scale. I have kits of different subjects in different

scales. Why would I eliminate a kit of one scale because it didn't match one of the others ?

I wasn't sure it this kit was already known about like Mark said, but if 'I' hadn't heard about it,

I figured there were probably others who hadn't as well.

For those interested , some more shots (from facebook)

t3O9P46.jpg

HIvEz3e.jpg

6Y8LPdx.jpg

PvqkatO.jpg

AC81I7X.jpg

Edited by MikeMaben

11 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

This is freaking awesome. I wish I were 20 years younger with all the cool aircraft coming out in 1/35th and 1/32nd.

Hopefully someone will release the Pearl Harbor wooden fins for the torpedo.

hi Bill,

for the uninitiated, can you elaborate post some ref pics to explain what we should be looking for / the differences to what we see in the renders?