IPMS Nationals Telford 2022

Phartycr0c

Not this year for me. What budget there was has been spent on the Lego Star Wars UCS Imperial Star Destroyer which I wasn’t going to get due to its rather obnoxious size but I found one online at a shop I had credit with and who were also offering a generous % off on Lego products so as this one is going out of production at the end of the year and is already Sold Out on the Lego webshop I decided to take the plunge and buy it as no doubt I’d want it after it became hard to get and I’d have to pay eBay gouged prices.  It arrived the other day and I started the build. It’s going to be 109cm long and 67cm wide at the tail end. Good job I live alone and have nobody to answer to! I do have the AT-AT Walker and The Millenium Falcon to build too which are equally as obnoxiously large but they can at least be displayed in a manner that makes them able to fit in the display cases I have, even if a shelf has to come out to do so. A crack habit would probably be cheaper. I also justify this expense with its been a stressful few months after a house sale/purchase fell through 3 days before signing the contracts which looked like leaving me Thousands of Pounds out of pocket but has been resolved now and isn’t nearly as bad as it could have been and then the neighbours from hell who finally broke me have moved on also (next door is a rental property and they were the 3rd not great neighbours I’d had in succession). So the money that was to be the deposit for the new property has now been spent on boring grown up crap like paving my driveway and back garden and a new kitchen. But there was enough left in the pot for a Garden Office which will become my new Fortress of Solitude / workspace. So I’m hoping now having a dedicated build space might generate some actual builds. 

Apologies at the long pointless post when I could have just said I’m not going to Telford this year but sometimes its just nice to vent.

3 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Not this year for me. What budget there was has been spent on the Lego Star Wars UCS Imperial Star Destroyer which I wasn’t going to get due to its rather obnoxious size but I found one online at a shop I had credit with and who were also offering a generous % off on Lego products so as this one is going out of production at the end of the year and is already Sold Out on the Lego webshop I decided to take the plunge and buy it as no doubt I’d want it after it became hard to get and I’d have to pay eBay gouged prices.  It arrived the other day and I started the build. It’s going to be 109cm long and 67cm wide at the tail end. Good job I live alone and have nobody to answer to! I do have the AT-AT Walker and The Millenium Falcon to build too which are equally as obnoxiously large but they can at least be displayed in a manner that makes them able to fit in the display cases I have, even if a shelf has to come out to do so. A crack habit would probably be cheaper. I also justify this expense with its been a stressful few months after a house sale/purchase fell through 3 days before signing the contracts which looked like leaving me Thousands of Pounds out of pocket but has been resolved now and isn’t nearly as bad as it could have been and then the neighbours from hell who finally broke me have moved on also (next door is a rental property and they were the 3rd not great neighbours I’d had in succession). So the money that was to be the deposit for the new property has now been spent on boring grown up crap like paving my driveway and back garden and a new kitchen. But there was enough left in the pot for a Garden Office which will become my new Fortress of Solitude / workspace. So I’m hoping now having a dedicated build space might generate some actual builds. 

Apologies at the long pointless post when I could have just said I’m not going to Telford this year but sometimes its just nice to vent.

To vent is good, 

Sorry you cant make it but fully understand.

I'm going for the first time ever, I'll pop by and say hello. Not sure what I'm expecting really as I've never been to a scale model even of any sort. I'll be going home with a few new kits hopefully. I'll then need to work out how to sneak them into the house and at what point I come clean to the CFO before Novembers home financies are done so I have just over 2 weeks of being super nice and helpful !!! 

neil

11 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Not this year for me. What budget there was has been spent on the Lego Star Wars UCS Imperial Star Destroyer which I wasn’t going to get due to its rather obnoxious size but I found one online at a shop I had credit with and who were also offering a generous % off on Lego products so as this one is going out of production at the end of the year and is already Sold Out on the Lego webshop I decided to take the plunge and buy it as no doubt I’d want it after it became hard to get and I’d have to pay eBay gouged prices.  It arrived the other day and I started the build. It’s going to be 109cm long and 67cm wide at the tail end...

I'd like to see some pictures of the Star Destroyer (in proper thread, of course).
I got my in-laws to buy me the LEGO Saturn V for my 50th birthday earlier this year.

I'm sure they still don't understand...

:D

Juraj

Just now, Trak-Tor said:

I got my in-laws to buy me the LEGO Saturn V for my 50th birthday earlier this year.

I'm sure they still don't understand...

Its a lovely fun build!  It goes by surprisingly fast too. 

IMG_20220726_141501766-XL.jpg

I went to the local brick store and built some extra stands for the nose cone module so all the sections were elevated equally, which doesn't happen OOB I found. 

IMG_20220726_141524976-XL.jpg

Apologies for the deviation, carry on with all things Telford! 

On 11/2/2022 at 11:55 AM, npb748r said:

I'm going for the first time ever, I'll pop by and say hello. Not sure what I'm expecting really as I've never been to a scale model even of any sort. I'll be going home with a few new kits hopefully. I'll then need to work out how to sneak them into the house and at what point I come clean to the CFO before Novembers home financies are done so I have just over 2 weeks of being super nice and helpful !!! 

neil

Hi Neil, you should find plenty to tickle your fancy. 

Prepare for aching legs, noise and heat. The halls get hot as the day goes on. There is a general din as hundreds of modellers discuss how this is better than that or why the next latest release should have been a "____" or how this company missed three rivets on that model......:P

There are hundreds of club stands, retailers and the model competition to walk around plus some of the world's best models in every scale and genre. It's pretty epic so have fun and share your haul with us all here when you get back. If you have time, photos of folks' favourites are always enjoyable to view.

An unplanned occurrence means I cannot attend this year but I am looking forward to seeing heaps of pics and videos from everyone to enjoy the show vicariously.

Cheers.

I too was hoping to make the (long) trek to Telford this year, last visit was 2018, but we have “inconveniently” won tickets (after 10 years of trying) to the Strictly live show at Blackpool the weekend after! Two trips up the M5 and M6 on successive weekends is just too much I’m afraid to contemplate, so I’ll look forward to 2023! 

5 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

I’m sadly out now. It would appear that Mrs StokeyPete may be about to lose her job. Impeccable timing by the employer I have to say, with a slight hint of sarcasm. Well, I say slight……..more like a huge bucket full of venomous sarcasm. 

UPDATE: the worst case scenario came To fruition.