IPMS Nationals Telford 2022

Phartycr0c

We’ll just a thanks for letting me put the Puma on the stand alongside some outstanding models for all tastes. It’s the first time I’ve been on that side of the bench for over 12 years now and my first at SMW, so I feel kind of privileged (box ticked). Nice too meet those present and put a face to a name. My purchases consisted of a 1/32 Tamiya F-4J Marines, 1/35 Trumpeter Hind and a Airfix Beagle Basset. Topped up on paints and added some new tools spending just shy of £300. Then the 3 hour drive home. A great day.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:10 AM, ade rowlands said:

Last time I went, I think 2018 I had my foot run over by someone in a mobility scooter the size of a Chieftain Tank. Said person didn't even register the bump from their lofty all terrain perch and continued on their way with reckless abandon.

Whoo-hoo! :(

I remember that the German Luftwaffe managed to break the leg of my beloved wife at an IPMS Germany show. An upright standing Euro pallet at the main doorway went loose and crashed onto her leg :ninja: We spent a half night at the emergency department, with our toddlers in tow. She had to wear a plaster of paris for 3 weeks.

And the Luftwaffe had the gall to say it wasn't their fault... :blowup:

Regards

- dutik

interesting day for my first ever scale model meeting. Not sure I'd do it again, unless it was located somewhere with additional things to see (eg Duxford, etc). It was a long day with a 6 hour round trip but nothing compared to 2K Kilometres mentioned above !!  I thought about the day as I drove home and concluded the following.

• the food was of shockingly disappointing quality (cold limp chips with an over-cooked sausage roll)- if I went again it would be with a pack lunch.
  • I was jolted into thinking I must finish the kits on my shelf of doom by seeing what people did with their builds, it made me realise that I need to work harder and find some enthusiasm for those kits. 
  • What was really noticeable to me to that the vast majority of aircraft builds on display were in a really flat matt finish, much flatter than I do with my builds which are more of a satin finish (apart from some areas  areas of weathering). Have I got it wrong or is this an aircraft modelling fashion trend ?? 
  • I've realised I'm now an online shopper only - the trade stalls were bypassed after the first couple browsing attempts and I came home with nothing purchased. Tonight I will purchase the things on the list I took with me online and probably cheaper 
  • The biggest issue for me was I left feeling slightly down rather than inspired - the vast majority of what was on display were works of art. I'd say the best of my builds fall into the worse 5% of those on display and that's probably being kind to myself. I thought I might have left inspired to improve but on reflexion I don't think there's much room for improvement after 50+ years of kit building. 
  • The chap from Kotare said they had designed the spit kit with as much of a modular approach as they could for future builds. As others have said, no further commitment beyond more Mk I and Mk Va but he didn't say never for other later marks. 
  • The new HKM Havoc looks simply stunning - they have clearly shifted up a gear or two.  
  • The level of skill of the models in the competition area left me stunned.
  • Finally, a 1/32 Sunderland is big enough to to use as a cross channel ferry. Seeing the one on display was a wow moment for me.
  • Oh, and there was an alarmingly number of smelly people in attendance - I thought that was a joke from earlier in this post but clearly not !

neil

As usual had a geat day, still no kits for me to buy, just some modelling supplies to stock up, took loads of photos so will be organising them to post.

The Dam Buster Lancaster was probably one of the most impressive models I have seen.

Here is another photo from a different angle.

XeYYLv.jpg

And another build that I liked.

dWlaX4.jpg

I will post more when I have organised them.

Cheers

Dennis

@npb748r, Hi Neil  interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing them. 

It's disappointing that you haven't felt uplifted at this stage. Perhaps as time goes on the memory of aspects of the show will inspire you. 

Now that you have experienced Telford you will be better equipped to enjoy it should you go again. 

Recognising that you don't need to trawl around the tradestands will free up half the day to concentrate on the clubs and models. 

This hobby of ours is very subjective. What one modeller thinks is perfection the next will find fault. What matters is that you enjoy what you do. If your models look best to you with a gentle satin sheen then that is all that is important regardless of any fashionable trends. 

(full sized aircraft often display that same finish in real life). 

I hope that by next year the urge might return and you'll have a more rewarding experience. ^_^

Cheers. 

Yep Neil, a very honest assessment in every respect, but Guy is absolutely right.....don't go down the slippery slope of comparing yourself with the works of others especially those who are self-assured and confident enough to put their works into competitions, and National competitions at that.  This hobby of ours is just that, a hobby, and a very fulfilling one, so get absorbed in the kits you make, be your own critic in a constructive way.....but enjoy!

WE DID IT!     finally after a good few years of trying Best in Show SIG! 

52497916558_38bb29f3a0_b.jpg

52496874627_24a86a1f2e_b.jpg

Many thanks to all involved, my ONLY gripe, the awards were presented late in the day (around 15.00 ish) so wa were denied the opportunity to really rack up those gloat points. 

Highlights ?, the win (obviously),  Kotare Spitfire is simply beautiful and HK A 20, who, have again raised the bar. The new release even includes subtle oil canning.

I have a test shot to build I will report more as I go. 

I will post a few of my photos up when I get 5 but I must say Im creamed! it was a really busy weekend and soooo nice to catch up with everyone.  

@npb748ryou are likely being to hard on yourself. build for yourself, if you get positive comments on your work then thats a bonus, if someone provides constructive criticisim then that too is a bonus. if you get negative comments without context then they are not worth worrying about so wins all round really. 

I would encourage you to bring one or two of your builds to the table, I think youll be surprised. 

Edited by Phartycr0c

I only went on Saturday. Having arrived early so I could park, around 07:30hrs, {venue didn't open until 10:00hrs}  I joined one of 2 queue's. One side for IPMS members and the other for ticket holders. Not being able to buy tickets at the venue was, to me an issue for me, I had to go on line and purchase a ticket {the way of the world  now I suppose} Although, once inside the venue and still in a queue, I noted one of the electronic boards stating you could purchase tickets from there using a QR code, but no info regarding that anywhere !!!.  The biggest gripe for me was people standing around chatting or generally just getting in the way of the "flow" of others walking around the displays. Same for the trade stands, most if not all, you had to wait for others to leave or shuffle along in a queue !!!. The food available was very expensive and not the best quality I'm afraid. If I'm completely honest, its not a model show I enjoy going to. I only went because it will have been the second show I have been to in several years. I doubt I will go again, I much prefer the {in my opinion} better local shows.

5 hours ago, Stevepd said:

We’ll just a thanks for letting me put the Puma on the stand alongside some outstanding models for all tastes. It’s the first time I’ve been on that side of the bench for over 12 years now and my first at SMW, so I feel kind of privileged (box ticked). Nice too meet those present and put a face to a name. My purchases consisted of a 1/32 Tamiya F-4J Marines, 1/35 Trumpeter Hind and a Airfix Beagle Basset. Topped up on paints and added some new tools spending just shy of £300. Then the 3 hour drive home. A great day.

Good to see you again Steve.

4 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

Well, it was more than great.  Once again. 

We have started our car a few minutes ago and are on our way home already.  It's something like 2000 kilometres long trip.

I'll see you there next year if possible. 

Juraj 

Sorry I missed you.  Safe journey.

46 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

WE DID IT!     finally after a good few years of trying Best in Show SIG! 

Great achievement, my two Mustangs and I are quite proud to have been a small part of that.  Sorry I missed the photo.

The tailwheel repair on "The Comet" can wait until tomorrow.

21 hours ago, vince14 said:

And a real show-stopper - the contest judging was underway when I was there, so I didn't have a chance to get a better picture, but I think this is the HK Dambuster Lanc.

2022-11-12-12-50-23.jpg

2022-11-12-12-50-30.jpg

Now this was just amazing and even more so that someone hade the balls to to cut up and convert the £600 Birder Lanc. Hats off indeed !

Regards. Andy