Wingnut Wings Lancaster to be released by Border Model

LSP_Kevin

5 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

I am going to stick with my HK kit. It's going to be my winter project. 

I will pass on the Border Models one since I have started the HK, I don't have room for two, and it's limited edition so I am sure there are others out there that really want it more than my stash shelf does..... LOL

It looks great though...

This sums it up well. We are blessed with two great offerings of the the Lanc in 1/32 scale: the forthcoming (and pricy) uber kit from Border, as well as an existing, very respectable alternative from HK that is more affordable.

Going back only a decade, who would have thought?

Grateful for these choices,

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

4 hours ago, allthumbs said:

This sums it up well. We are blessed with two great offerings of the the Lanc in 1/32 scale: the forthcoming (and pricy) uber kit from Border, as well as an existing, very respectable alternative from HK that is more affordable.

Going back only a decade, who would have thought?

Grateful for these choices,

Rich

I fully agree with you on this - I cannot believe we are passionately arguing which of the 2 (TWO) 1/32 Lancaster kits now available are best value for money :)

I am still chuffed we have one at all..

I have built 1/32 kits from Revell, Trumpeter, Italeri, Tamiya, Zoukei-Mura, Hasegawa, Academy, Copperfield, Wingnut Wings, AFV, Special Hobby, HK Models, Kitty Hawk and now working on JetMADS - Some were cheap, some were not - some were very detailed, others not so much - some went together almost without glue - others nooot so much ^_^ but one thing they all have in common - the completed ones are all in my display case(s).

This is the golden age for Large Scale modelling if you ask me and I for one, welcome them all

What I don't understand is why prices are all over the place ATM and no-one (especially here in the UK) seems to be prepared to commit to a retail price? It seems that prices here are all over the place with 'estimates' between £500 and even as high as £700 being mooted but nothing confirmed. That's a massive difference for estimates of the same product and where retailers will already know what their trade discount will be and what the UK VAT (tax) element is. Lots of other pending release kits with a lower profile in the hobby have already had their retail prices declared and confirmed so why not this one (I'm sure Border Models won't be getting different commercial shipping crate prices to all the other model companies) if the acknowledged issues in the world's transport system right now is being cited as the / a reason?

I do wonder if, given the subject, they are simply gauging how many people will buy this 'at any price' to then come in with a last minute hefty RRP to sweep-up all those who just have to have it now and then a little down the line once the initial buying frenzy slows down, make some 'readjustments' in the RRP...?

As I said before, if this were coming out in a WNW box my order would be in at any price and take the risk on price knowing the QC but with Border having control of the moulds like Meng did with the Dr1 tooling, I will wait and see what the end result is like as an overall package before I hand over that sum for a kit which as in probably 90+% of cases, will be destined to be a 'stash queen' and never actually get built anyway.

Gary

I don't have the HKM kit, nor would I get the WnW kit, but if I had to choose , I would  go with HKM. Why? I used to be impressed with kits that have an insane parts count, but, at this point in my life simplicity is starting to win out over mega detail.  It also increases the likelihood that I'd have more than 2 finished kits on my shelf before I check out.

With regard to prices, this kit is not in the same league than most other ones. It will be incredibly complex with a lot of sprues, will be heavy and will need a large box. This also contributes to the Border intention to start with a limited run. BUT a limited run complexifies the distribution and increases the price! Add to that a layer of issues still linked to Covid with regard to shipping and you get a not so obvious situation. Personally I'm not surprised. It looks few people realize that because of Covid the world will still know lots of delivery issues and a heavy impact on prices and availability of a lot of products up to end of 2022 and possibly 2023!

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

With regard to prices, this kit is not in the same league than most other ones. It will be incredibly complex with a lot of sprues, will be heavy and will need a large box. This also contributes to the Border intention to start with a limited run. BUT a limited run complexifies the distribution and increases the price! Add to that a layer of issues still linked to Covid with regard to shipping and you get a not so obvious situation. Personally I'm not surprised. It looks few people realize that because of Covid the world will still know lots of delivery issues and a heavy impact on prices and availability of a lot of products up to end of 2022 and possibly 2023!

Very true. The cost of styrene keeps going up, too, and supply chain issues related to COVID are contributing to that rise. The closure of styrene plants in Texas brought on by their terrible winter didn’t help,  and that was on top of restrictions placed on exports to China. If the raw material is expensive and in short supply, we pay more for the finished product.

The same is true of beer. Low barley yields and shipping problems are driving up the cost of our pints. 

Ah, Beer. I miss it.

Adam

looks impressive however I can't tell if we are looking at a mix of CAD and plastic pictures ??   I thought there were clear differences with the IP seen at 7:16 and that shown on the what I think was the original WNW shot at 13:19 (is that a CAD picture and not plastic ?). If not, the IP on the sprue appears to be less crisp to my eyes ??  I would have expected, if it is a £700 kit, the level of detail and crispness seen on the 13:17 picture - I think I'd be a bit disappointed if the actual kit isn't as seen in that later shot.  I now feel that if I were buying, at that price, I wouldn't do it before actually seeing the kit in detail. 

Looks great. Im not a huge fan of the stressed skin. The interior is amazing , but having built the HK  kit , much of it is wasted as it wont be seen. Not for me , but im sure it will be a must have for some. The seatbelt detail is great , i wish more manufacturers would do it.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:23 AM, ade rowlands said:

£620 with delivery here in the UK with MJR Models Facebook Group. A shop I use regularly and being my ‘localish’ shop an hour up the road it’s where I get most of my stuff from. 

MJR are a great group - buy with confidence from Mike Jolly if you are in UK.

north of £600 though … ouch

25 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

MJR are a great group - buy with confidence from Mike Jolly if you are in UK.

north of £600 though … ouch

Couldn't agree more! MJR are a fantastic outfit with excellent customer service and great prices. Have my pre order in with them for this one.

Regards. Andy