Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

My thanks to "geedubelyer" for posting the pictures of the kit sprues.  This is shaping up as a beauty and I'm already thinking about two models - an early MkIX with earlier rudder and a later clipped wing late rudder type as well.  Here's hoping the the after market does this kit proud, especially as the kit decals only seem to support the early rudder types. 

Also noted with great pleasure is the molding of the fuselage, with the cut outs for a retractable tail wheel for the MkVIII's.  I don't see a high back MkXIV here as that would demand a different fuselage forward of the windscreen, and perhaps an E wing too, to say nothing of the parts to make a good Griffon engine.  That said, I think this kit has the possibility for Airfix to deliver many variations on the 1/24 Spitfire model.  Digits crossed. :)

Cheers,

Michael

I'll very likely pick one up. The only thing that bugs me and I'm hoping its just a trick of the light is the prominence of the wing to fuselage blending fillet on the fuselage side and how thick the fuel tank armour ahead of the windscreen looks. Fixable things with a sanding sponge I'm sure so no great cause for concern. I did go look at photos of real Spitfire Mk.IXs and yes, in certain light that fillet is quite prominent. I just had it more blended in my mind. Ouch at that Buccaneer price though. Thats one I'll wait and see a few builds on before deciding (yes, I'm a scale heretic).

Edited by ade rowlands
Spelling!

I want one and whatever Peter makes for it. I'm sure that aftermarket support will be there like it was for the Hellcat. It's not Tamiya but it would really suck if I have to wait for Tamiya to come out with all the models I want to build. I'm way more loyal to my interest than I am to any brand. Yea, I'll take two now that I have thought about it.

Oooh, Great Big News Airfix - Thank You!

When it comes to 1/24 (real LSP) in my mind I see Airfix on the lid.

Even the early kits I have seen very well done by modellers - certainly no gripes here!

Hope to gain a Mk. VIII sometime to of course have a bigger Grey Nurse.

A tad confused why Tamiya in 1/32 is throughout this thread...

On 1/9/2022 at 11:46 PM, ScoobyDoo said:

Yeah, Airfix should be more worried about gophers running across a highway on a hot summer day.

I thought your comment was quite funny but please take my reply in the context of the original criticisms of Airfix on here.

I was only trying to point out that issues like 'soft' plastic mentioned by others would have to be addressed, because if they didn't some people simply wouldn't buy their product.

QC would always have to be on their radar if they were to enhance their sales more broadly surely.

Hence the SALES comment, do it right or no sales. Obvious I know, but I sometimes think we forget the principle of continual improvement rules every time.

Airfix know that as well, and are improving their products all the time just like anyone else out there and I'm sure they'll continue to do that in the future.

Hope that explains my thoughts on this a bit better.

Well said Royboy,

I would like to add that in this particular case the Airfix company is held in high esteem, affection and reverence among us modelers. 

Therefore Airfix has a responsibility to maintain the high standards we have come to expect. It is a source of pride for the British very much like the Supermarine Spitfire has been.

I have no doubt that Airfix will indeed earn their finest hour.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:33 PM, geedubelyer said:

Not the best photos unfortunately, sorry. My phone and low light aren't a great combo.

However I hope they give an idea of how this one looks. 

They do, thank you very, very much for taking the time to share them!

On 1/10/2022 at 10:55 PM, Iain said:

And I suspect I may end up carving one up to make a bigger two-seater than my last one.  ;)

I was hoping you'd say that :D

On 1/11/2022 at 1:31 AM, airscale said:

the ultimate canvas for a brilliant build (which airscale will give a little help to of course :))

I think that will be my first ever Airscale purchase, Peter. If a IXe/XVIe boxing appears I'll be keen for sure!

Well Done Airfix, well done. Simply bloody marvellous; you've made my day a - 1\24 MkIX Supermarine Spitfire. I am struggling to believe what my eyes are seeing, I almost can't comprehend how long I've been hoping Airfix might bring this out. I am going to have check this isn't some figment of my imagination in the morning. You wonderful people!!!! This will sell like hot cakes . Just the best news for a VERY long time. Congratulations, Airfix, you've made an old modeller feel like an excited little boy again!!!!

Blue Spitfire Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

On 1/10/2022 at 5:31 AM, airscale said:

so I spoke to airfix - interesting what they said for those knocking the details / plastic in the test shot..

"When it comes to a physical sample, the first shots weren’t ideal and we are due to receive second shots at some point that may change certain aspects. Provided that these second shots are up to standard, I’d be more than happy to send a sample across. I’ll keep you updated on the progress of these shots."

I have faith, it will be superb value and the ultimate canvas for a brilliant build (which airscale will give a little help to of course :))

Peter

Despite the challenges I'm having with the 1/24 Airfix Hellcat, I think the plastic is great, other than the short-shot sprue F that I received in my kit.  As good as the Tamiya Spitfire is, it does have some shortcomings that are not on this Airfix model.  The Tamiya Merlin engine is missing the oil filler neck on the bottom oil tank and there is no connection between the front glycol tank and the engine itself, which to me is a real miss.  The spark plug cables and other items look very good and correct on the Airfix photos above, so I can see that detailing this engine could be really, really fun.  I will buy this model for sure and build it right here- right after Peter makes a new instrument panel for it!

Cheers,

Chuck

Hummmmm, I'm on the fence a bit, i loved the big Typhoon, built one and one still in stash, i hope this Spit is similar standard. The Typhoon needs some manipulation and has a seam on every part but its a big brute of a kit.

I hope they improve the scale thickness of the seat belts for the production run, very chunky

One has to feel slightly sorry for Buchon Scale Models, who are very close to releasing some (no doubt excellent, if their 1\32 Buchon conversion set is anything to go by) 1\24 Spitfire IX conversion sets ( including a Propeller and low back fuselage set, if you want a Mk xvi), rudders, undercarriage, carb intake, cockpit set ( a whole front end in fact!) and other bits.

Like Buses....you wait about fifty years for a 1\24 scale Mk IX Spitfire and two come along at once!!

I do hope someone does a Tr IX conversion set;  looking forward to seeing what the aftermarket comes up with for this Unicorn.....!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

On 1/11/2022 at 5:18 AM, Dpgsbody55 said:

I don't see a high back MkXIV here as that would demand a different fuselage forward of the windscreen, and perhaps an E wing too, to say nothing of the parts to make a good Griffon engine.  That said, I think this kit has the possibility for Airfix to deliver many variations on the 1/24 Spitfire model.  Digits crossed. :)

Cheers,

Michael

I personally would like to see a photograph of the inside of the rear fuselage, as this may be quite revealing with regard to this aspect.

Derek