Hmm.. Those Quintas 3D decals vs etch and decals..

Watched this guy recently, I actually very recently started to look at You Tube builds..:blush: And I like his builds but..

..those 3D decals? Maybe it has been discussed already - and maybe this guy is here?

Anyways.. I am not convinced. Atleast not that it is "The Future". I much prefer etch and decals. I would not want to switch my painted kit details and Barracuda placards and stencils (for example) for those side panels in 3D decals..

What are your opinions? And where is the thread I have missed that discusses this already? ;)

Could it not be argued that PE cockpit panels will never be completely convincing, simply due to the fact that they're 2-D? As good as they look, they will only ever be flat.

I recently bought the Quinta A-10 cockpit set and - to my eye - they're almost TOO detailed. I find that the 3D details have the appearance of everything being clumped together (probably a true reflection of the original, once you take into account the "scale-effect").    

Chris. 

PE instrument panels and consoles look flat and lifeless. So much so, that I gave up on them after the first one or two that I tried way back when pre-painted PE was first introduced. 

Yahu and Eduard's 'Look' stuff is better, but still not optimum. 

3D printed panels and consoles have depth and realism. Until something better comes along, this is unquestionably the way to go. 

D

I haven’t used them in 1/32 scale, but for my 1/48 scale Intruder they really bring the cockpit to life:

At the end of the day I get a sense of accomplishment from having a cockpit that doesn’t appear to be a compromise, which is what I would get from hand painting everything. At the same time, I don’t feel the need to use them on every subject. I think it really depends on the quality of the kit to start with and the scale you are working with.

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

The video needs some clarification. There is no need for any additional adhesive with Quinta Studios products when applied to a flat surface. The instructions are misleading - you only need additional adhesive when gluing together their multi-part details which come on the sheet. You will also need something like CA to get their seatbelts to behave. 

I used a combination of Red Fox and Quinta on my FW build. Red Fox needs adhesive while Quinta are waterslide decals with an adhesive/release agent.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but to me these type of 3D instrument panel stick-ons are almost like cheating.  Where is the skill of assembling finely detailed parts and carefully painting fine switches and knobs?  Maybe this is the future, but it's not for me, ever.

Cheers,

Chuck