Hmm.. Those Quintas 3D decals vs etch and decals..

8 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Agreed! If you are using more than the item below in your builds you are cheating and not a Real Modeler! None of that fancy plastic, 3d print or photoetch nonsense :)

4-x-3-x-12-balsawood-block-large-IMG_001

Yep, there used to be a guy on Hyperscale I think, Mike Robinson, he would actually start with a block of wood, and end up with a scratchbuilt masterpiece!....I was always amazed at his incredible modelling talent.

Jeff.

For many years before the nineties the “proper model competitions” in Eastern European countries did not have a class for plastic models because they were not considered “real models”. Eastern European modellers who wanted to “compete” had to build models from scratch. There were very few proper “scale model shops” in Eastern Europe before the nineties anyway. Plastic model kits (made in Russia, Czechoslovakia, Poland or East Germany) used to be sold in toy shops. That explains why there are so many talented model makers in Eastern Europe.

To me there is no “cheating” as such in scale models. I guess that when they say “cheating” some people mean the “performance-enhancing” substances that give an unfair advantage to athletes. Athletes are regulated by long lists containing substances that are banned and only when those regulations are breached that can be deemed as “cheating”. In as far as I know there is no regulation banning anything in scale model competitions. In as far as I know the only regulations are “this has to be made by you”, meaning that you cannot enter a model built by someone else. Now, you can argue what is the point where “made by you” ends and “made by a manufacturer” starts. I know that a couple of decades ago there was a fashion for models to come with ready-painted a decorated parts in the box. I remember in a competition where there was a car model that had pre-painted and fully decorated body shell, pre-painted interior parts, everything snapped together and then tied together with a couple of screws (even the screwdriver was in the box). A vendor was even selling the kit in the room. This model was disqualified because it was not really made by the competitor, it was just assembled,  nothing was added. I
This can become very philosophical and dogmatic very fast. 
Radu

Edited by Radub

I use them and don’t give a second thought to what others may think of my use of them. I make my kits for my own enjoyment (or is that frustration) only,  and look forward to future releases. If there’s no set available for what I’m building I’ll fall back on my old traditional lack of skills using various sets like Airscale etch or Grand Models and Anyz stuff to muddle my way through. I will stick to HGW for my belts though.

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, Jeff T said:

Yep, there used to be a guy on Hyperscale I think, Mike Robinson, he would actually start with a block of wood, and end up with a scratchbuilt masterpiece!....I was always amazed at his incredible modelling talent.

Jeff.

Mike is a good friend of mine.

you are 100% correct-

cheers

P