Hmm.. Those Quintas 3D decals vs etch and decals..

Imo the problem with this product is not the product on itself.

But, like the prepainted, the secret for a decent (to awesome) result is color matching with your own painted parts. 
Clearly lacking in the video posted originaly.

The build is quite good otherwise. And seeing the builder’s paint abilities, it’s clearly an intended quick build.

Cheers 

Mathieu

I understand you Chuck as we already had such a debate on LSP. However, couldn't we  say the same about any aftermarket add-on? When we are using a resin cockpit the problem is somewhat similar as someone else created the master. And by the way, the plastic kit itself is questionable. In such a perspective only a full scratch model would be 'true modelling'. To me there is no obvious border between the territories of a modeller and an assembler. In most cases we are both of them with variable proportions according to each project.

20 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I understand you Chuck as we already had such a debate on LSP. However, couldn't we  say the same about any aftermarket add-on? When we are using a resin cockpit the problem is somewhat similar as someone else created the master. And by the way, the plastic kit itself is questionable. In such a perspective only a full scratch model would be 'true modelling'. To me there is no obvious border between the territories of a modeller and an assembler. In most cases we are both of them with variable proportions according to each project.

I still think it's like comparing apples to oranges.  Yes, resin cockpits are much nicer than kit ones, but they are MUCH harder to install and paint.  I just installed an Airscale PE instrument panel and it too is much nicer than the kit parts, but it also took many hours of work to get it looking right and a lot more time than if I used kit parts.  Peel and stick instrument panels are in a totally different league to get away from any real effort in the cockpit, IMO.  Anyway, I totally understand that others have different opinions and I respect that, so I won't argue this point any more since there is no "correct" answer.

Cheers,

Chuck

Globally I'm agreeing with you when I'm seeing some comments of people not willing to build a kit that 'asks for work'. I'm somewhat dispaired when a company takes the risk to release a model and many people complain because it is not a Tamiya or WnW kit! At the same time I do not consider obvious to be forced to use tons of elbow grease to be able to put a resin pit in a plastic kit. This should not be our ability and/or stubborn willingness to allocate hours of effort that should justify if some specific aftermarket makes sense or not. And it looks there is surely a market for such products as many people are purchasing them. Finally, this goes down to the individual modelling philosophy, the type of pleasure we get from modelling and the amount of time and/or money each modeller can allocate to his hobby. So, yes, there is no 'correct' opinion about that!

14 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but to me these type of 3D instrument panel stick-ons are almost like cheating.  Where is the skill of assembling finely detailed parts and carefully painting fine switches and knobs?  Maybe this is the future, but it's not for me, ever.

Cheers,

Chuck

This brings up an interesting point. When we released our iris decals there was push back against using them. We were at the IPMS Nationals that year and this guy stops by and buys one sheet of each and then announces that he's the head figure judge and has instructed his judges to deduct points for any figure that used them. 

We had a short discussion and my position then is the same as it is now. The single most important thing on a figure is the eyes and regardless of how perfectly you paint everything else if the eyes are two different size blobs looking in two different directions, your efforts are ruined. Some figure painters are blessed and can paint eyes perfectly, but the average modeler can't, so why should they be discouraged from building figures because they lack the skill to do one thing? 

Products like these 3D decals are similar in concept. For the modeler with the skill and patience to paint a cockpit they're not necessary, but for guys who lack the skill or, like me, have lost their delicate touch due to age products like this help us enjoy the hobby.

So Chuck, please keep doing what you're doing so guys like me can enjoy seeing a master at work. Don't think your mastery of micro-painting escapes any of us because it doesn't. We admire your skills and our world would be poorer without you. 

In the meantime, me and my sausage fingers will take all the help we can get.

I would like to weigh in from the middle of the road.   I dont hesitate to put in Yahu instrument panels, even before i needed reading glasses, an optivisor and one closed eye to see up close, i was not great at details like instrument panels.  Of course i tell people who admire the model that i bought that part, and painted the rest.  

when i came back to the hobby in my late 40s, i started with 1/35 armor, thinking the details would not be as critical as aircraft. 

i forced myself to paint figures, and even took a 3d place at a show with a figure, to learn detail painting.   

i paint what i can and use Yahu, and admit that when i first saw these quinta sets, they did make me pause, because on one hand, you can now buy what i consider the most difficult part of a convincing model, but on the other hand, Woody is 100% correct.  I cant replicate the detail others can do, its not a matter of practice, its a lack of ability on my part. 

I am torn, because i do updetail with aftermarket and never think twice.  I think i will get a set and try it.  

The instruments look very good, Brian :clap2: 

But I have the feeling that you would do equally well -and certainly more rewardingly- if the moulded details were provided with the kit parts (which is technically doable) and you painted them with a small paint brush. Just like Monogram did with their Centuries-fighters in 1980.

Ok, marking my position first - I like making things, I particularly like scratchbuilding and modifying things, so I'm probably not the intended target for the printed decals. 

From what I have seen so far, they are very nicely done with exquisite detail. Much better than I was expecting.

For me, they are rather toy like. Bright, even colours and with the same overall finish.

I'm waiting to see someone brave enough to install a set then rough it up a bit. Lose the gloss finish that isn't at all right for a black panel, get some wear onto the edges, work some dirt into them. That could be a big step if you aren't happy painting panels

Richard

Yahu IP panels are excellent and i believe the match of anything Quinta or RedFox, but my sample size is limited to WWII props

Where the 3D guys have the advantage is with all their sundry panels - Yahu doesn’t do any of that

For me, 3D belts are really not all that and HGW belts are waaay ahead, but they are work

but i guess overall it’s nice to have lots of options so whatever route you go down there is something there for you rather than having Eduard or nothing

happy modelling

On 10/28/2021 at 4:09 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

This brings up an interesting point. When we released our iris decals there was push back against using them. We were at the IPMS Nationals that year and this guy stops by and buys one sheet of each and then announces that he's the head figure judge and has instructed his judges to deduct points for any figure that used them. 

...and this is why I have never had so much as the slightest interest in competitive model building. 

Sorry.. Did not find the thread so thought it had been binned because the discussion was taking place elsewhere already.. :blush:

I am still torn - the video did not convince me at all, I did not like that look. But the pictures posted here are really nice looking.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:51 PM, chuck540z3 said:

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but to me these type of 3D instrument panel stick-ons are almost like cheating.  Where is the skill of assembling finely detailed parts and carefully painting fine switches and knobs?  Maybe this is the future, but it's not for me, ever.

Cheers,

Chuck

This is kinda how I feel as well. But then I "cheat" in other areas perhaps. I guess it is quite okay to just chose what AM to use I guess. lol And right now, I do not feel as if I would get the same satisfaction with stuff looking like the 3D things in the video over painting the Tamiya cockpit or adding painted Barraduda Studios extras with placard-decals..

I might change my mind - the phots here are making me more curious, that is for sure!

On 10/27/2021 at 8:04 PM, MDuv said:

Imo the problem with this product is not the product on itself.

But, like the prepainted, the secret for a decent (to awesome) result is color matching with your own painted parts. 
Clearly lacking in the video posted originaly.

The build is quite good otherwise. And seeing the builder’s paint abilities, it’s clearly an intended quick build.

Cheers 

Mathieu

Yeah..

On 10/28/2021 at 11:09 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

We had a short discussion and my position then is the same as it is now. The single most important thing on a figure is the eyes and regardless of how perfectly you paint everything else if the eyes are two different size blobs looking in two different directions, your efforts are ruined. Some figure painters are blessed and can paint eyes perfectly, but the average modeler can't, so why should they be discouraged from building figures because they lack the skill to do one thing? 

Products like these 3D decals are similar in concept. For the modeler with the skill and patience to paint a cockpit they're not necessary, but for guys who lack the skill or, like me, have lost their delicate touch due to age products like this help us enjoy the hobby.

So Chuck, please keep doing what you're doing so guys like me can enjoy seeing a master at work. Don't think your mastery of micro-painting escapes any of us because it doesn't. We admire your skills and our world would be poorer without you. 

In the meantime, me and my sausage fingers will take all the help we can get.

Yeah that is.. Wrong. But why would you be discouraged from painting those figures if you cannot make the most fantastic eyes? Because you do not get top score ina  competition? That is a weird argument (for lack of better word, English is not my first language so I hope I do not sound like an ass!). - Just ignore the high end competition?

But that double standard is just shitty, by the judge. IMHO..

Nice to see all the opinions and all the examples of good-looking 3D panels. That is what I needed I think.

And I guess i might have been just as sceptical if I had been around when PE was introduced... :)

And on the gloves - yeah! I started to use it since I thought that´s what the pros did. :D Ie you guys I was admiring the work on, here. But then when i started to use Alclad, it seemed pretty nice to protect the surface? I still use it when I clean my airbrush too..

But when I see a guy using gloves the whole build, with the same type I use to "check" patients.. Behinds. It makes me laugh a little.. ;)

Edited by Paramedic

On 10/30/2021 at 2:44 PM, thierry laurent said:

I'm not that impressed either by the 3d belts I have seen. 

The belts themselves are very good but you can't pose them all wrinkled up like the fabric ones. It's the hardware that's the downer. These printers can't print metallic ink (yet) and the color they use to represent silver falls well short of realistic.