Wingnut Wings Lancaster to be released by Border Model

LSP_Kevin

2 minutes ago, Mr.T said:

Since it was Sir Peter's dream to do the film (or remake) the Lancaster Dambuster would be great with a set of crew including Guy Gibson...

And could they scale it down to 1/48 later?

I would not bet on a 1/48 version.  Keep in mind Border bought this with more than 90% of the work done.  Since HK has done it in 1/48 already, my bet is Border would not go to the work of making a 1/48 kit as that would require starting over and doing their own research engineering and tooling.

Just now, cbk57 said:

I would not bet on a 1/48 version.  Keep in mind Border bought this with more than 90% of the work done.  Since HK has done it in 1/48 already, my bet is Border would not go to the work of making a 1/48 kit as that would require starting over and doing their own research engineering and tooling.

yes, I suppose you are right. It would exclipse the 1/48 of HK, but it would indeed require more work. Fingers crossed on the Dambuster version or a conversion kit by the AM industry

1 hour ago, Mr.T said:

yes, I suppose you are right. It would exclipse the 1/48 of HK, but it would indeed require more work. Fingers crossed on the Dambuster version or a conversion kit by the AM industry

There's already the IconicAir conversion for the 1/32  HK kit. Assuming HK for the fuselage dims right on their kit, it should fit the BorderNut Wings kit well. That said though, I'm hopeful the full Dambusters kit will be released.

Don't know if i have missed the conversation but i have to ask. Why is there so much dis-like towards HKM and the Lancaster they made? Is it really a dog of a kit like some on here seem to be implying?

The HK Lancaster is a very good kit but not an exceptional one and this is the main difference. It has no major assembly issue but stupid simplifications (such as the cockpit, turrets and canopy ones) and some inaccuracies such as the radiators shape (not the correct ETO type). Not terrible but annoying as there are currently no obvious solution to correct most of them.

7 hours ago, AlanG said:

Don't know if i have missed the conversation but i have to ask. Why is there so much dis-like towards HKM and the Lancaster they made? Is it really a dog of a kit like some on here seem to be implying?

Having seen both kits at Telford a couple of years ago, it was immediately obvious the WnW's Lanc was much better detailed, and being the kits they are - large and expensive - personally, it was the only one I wanted, nothing about dislike, just a preference.  

7 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Having seen both kits at Telford a couple of years ago, it was immediately obvious the WnW's Lanc was much better detailed

Would that be something to do with an owner who has more money then you can shake a sh*tty stick at and threw as much money as it took at the project? I presume HKM's budget was vastly less than WNW's.

I am no rivet counter so to me they both look like a Lancaster. Obviously some people are tied up on the minutest detail and that's fine if that's their bag. I just find it frustrating the amount of slagging off HKM get for daring to bring out an obviously 'inferior' kit years before anyone else did on a thread that isn't even about them.

2 minutes ago, AlanG said:

Would that be something to do with an owner who has more money then you can shake a sh*tty stick at and threw as much money as it took at the project? I presume HKM's budget was vastly less than WNW's.

I am no rivet counter so to me they both look like a Lancaster. Obviously some people are tied up on the minutest detail and that's fine if that's their bag. I just find it frustrating the amount of slagging off HKM get for daring to bring out an obviously 'inferior' kit years before anyone else did on a thread that isn't even about them.

Apparently the WnW's Lanc was ten years in the making, so there's that, and no doubt Peter Jackson wanted to bring out the best kit possible, but I doubt very much people were working on it constantly for those years, probably in and around other projects, and the situation is only the same as the SE5a where the WnW's kit was in development, probably before the Roden kit, which beat it to market, and yet there was no vitriol towards Jackson/WnW's then, indeed people were hoping that they would bring out a Camel and DR.1, despite there being kits on the market already.

I have the HKM B-17E/F and though it looks like a B-17, it has shape issues, just like their Mosquito, which I also have one of, and the Lancaster having the latter post-war nacelle intakes, this is purely down to poor research. I helped Eli at Zotz research a few decal sheets, not the only person involved in those, and an awful lot of work went into them, the last one funny enough was for the Lancaster, then got delayed as the kits were, his situation changed and it won't be released, which is a pity as I wanted to do Phantom of the Ruhr, the artwork of which was different on the actual wartime aircraft to the BoB flight version, the Kits World sheet depicts the latter.

There are plenty of people who prefer the simplicity of the Revell P-51D to the more complicated Tamiya version or ZM kit, different horses, different courses, I haven't noticed anyone criticising the HKM Lanc, but I would wager it'll pale to the amount directed at Peter Jackson, just by virtue of him being successful.

16 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

There are plenty of people who prefer the simplicity of the Revell P-51D to the more complicated Tamiya version or ZM kit, different horses, different courses,

that sums it up perfectly for me - nags verses thorough breed. I think the revell is a thorough breed as it ticks more of my boxes, the tamiya and ZM kits don't,  they are nags to me. Others will think it a nag. There is room for all of us and all of the 1/32 aircraft kits produced.

To be totally honest, I would not blame HK for the late war radiators as except the very recent Wingleaders monography based on Richard Alexander's research intended to create the WnW kit, no older reference I know mentioned such a difference and I have at least twenty books about the Lancaster!

Nice to see the differences we share as the diverse group of modellers that we are and even agree to disagree. For my part I’d really like to get the Border (WnW) kit but cannot justify the expense, having already bought the HK kit and upgrades for it I’ll definitely, someday, maybe… build it but I know I would for certain pull up a chair and follow intently if not a bit jealously any build of the Border model kit. 
now back to my floatplanes…

I am going to stick with my HK kit. It's going to be my winter project. 

I will pass on the Border Models one since I have started the HK, I don't have room for two, and it's limited edition so I am sure there are others out there that really want it more than my stash shelf does..... LOL

It looks great though...

I have the HK nose kit. That will do for me until Border brings out their version of the nose kit.

I wish them every success with this kit. The knowledge they gain from producing this may well translate into future releases (stressed skin, fine details), so more power to their injection moulded elbows.