F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

Thank you gents, very kind of you guys to post. The uplifting comments honestly do help in the trying times, of which there seem to be slightly less of late. I dont want to jinx it, because I know there is a lot of cutting parts out of resin pools left to do. 

I started this round of updates with a big shout out to our own Harold of AMS resin as I now have a complete set of F7F Tigercat wheels both main and nose. This will save me a lot of work in the long run, as the OOB HpH wheels are excellently molded but they are in halves and I already destroyed the tread on the OOB nose wheel assembling it. Harold's wheels have a nice tread and stamped letters, + no seem work to take care of. I still have some cleanup work to do from the pour blocks but right off (most of) the pour block, the two sided nose wheel aligns and looks great:

20181002_104113-XL.jpg

20181002_103537-XL.jpg

20181002_104152-XL.jpg

Ill take care of those soon enough, as it will be another small, but worthwhile "win" as I'm taking those in the small doses they seem to be coming in. It seems to make the distant end seem not so distant. The props were a similar small but needed win even if I haven't actually assembled them yet (was waiting till after airframe assembly to recoup some room on my parts assembly pad since they are easier to store unassembled) . 

I got the supercharger intake and collector weathered, along with getting the reduction housing, crank case and cylinders weathered as well as finishing the paint on the intake runners. The macro lens is a harsh harsh mistress. You think something is outstanding and the macro says otherwise!  :BANGHEAD2: :  I still think the parts turned out good

20181002_161710-XL.jpg

20181002_161724-XL.jpg

20181002_161754-XL.jpg

20181002_161846-XL.jpg

20181002_161757-XL.jpg

20181002_161837-XL.jpg

20181002_161818-XL.jpg

The cylinders are far from perfect in that some of them have some defects that I assumed would be covered by the heat shields, but in pre assembling the engine parts, I found there (A) wont be enough of them to cover even 6 cylinders on each side of the two engines,  but (B) once together, there isnt enough room to run the ignition wires properly. Ill just have to do without the heat shields. In the end you cant see a whole lot down the T-Cats cowl anyway, as they are shaped in a way that closes off much more of the engine than you would think, BUT I'm still pressing on with as much detail as I can manage.............or are willing to apply I should say as there are what seems an giant field of cylinders.......

20181002_161922-XL.jpg

20181002_162023-XL.jpg

I took her "nose bandage" off and put her under better light to see what she looks  like.................I know she still needs a vertical fin badly, but OOOOOOHHHHH LALA, shes purty IMHO even in this highly unfinished state. 

For a resin kit, she came out as straight and aligned as I could have hoped for. As Mark pointed out, LOADS of dihedral too:

20181002_162222-XL.jpg

20181002_162131-XL.jpg

20181002_162150-XL.jpg

Cheers! 

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

The cylinders are far from perfect in that some of them have some defects that I assumed would be covered by the heat shields, but in pre assembling the engine parts, I found there (A) wont be enough of them to cover even 6 cylinders on each side of the two engines,  but (B) once together, there isnt enough room to run the ignition wires properly. Ill just have to do without the heat shields. In the end you cant see a whole lot down the T-Cats cowl anyway, as they are shaped in a way that closes off much more of the engine than you would think, BUT I'm still pressing on with as much detail as I can manage.............or are willing to apply I should say as there are what seems an giant field of cylinders.......

Don't get too hung up on the oily bits.

Pick the best of the bunch from what you have for the front faces.

If anybody is stupid enough to start shining a torch in there then they are going to get a slap anyway.

:D

Looks great to me so onward and upward !

:goodjob: