F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

8 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Nice work, Brian, I really like how you did the props.

I know you are working on the MLG, and I assume you are aware of this?:

gfm32046.jpg

Indeed I am Ray....................we kinda bugged Ernie about it and I think he finally relented. :lol: Having already done the nose gear, I actually bent and brazed all my own parts for it including a very stout solid brass main nose wheel yolk:

20171225_113936

20171225_114713

The main problem is, and I hate to say it after all the bugging done to get someone to produce a brass  set for the F7F is that the secondary hinged brace (second from the right in the first shot and the bottom most part in the clear bag in your shot) is substantially too short OOB and unfortunately Ernie's nose gear set is a direct copy of the kit part

6 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Glad to  see you back at it!  Great work on those props and LG....  and lights.  Lots of stuff to learn.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz! The lights I am just winging, so Im not sure learning from me is the best option!  Im not sure why they would reproduce the wingtips and wingtip lights like this when every SINGLE other F7F example looks normal, but Im forging on, hoping my idea works! 

5 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Back in a BIG way, Brian.  It's good to see.  Nice detailing.  Looks like the weak point will move to the tire/strut connection.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark, I can only hope to learn from the master at scratch work!   Indeed you are correct, since HpH pinned there tire/strut connection I had to make sure mine was VERY stout, Especially with more than 10 oz. of lead in the nose. 

No one makes a MLG set for the Tigercat in 32nd, so since it will bear the majority of the weight, I wanted them to be just as robust as the nose gear. 

6 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

I certainly agree with the rest.   It’s another impressive kit that I can wait to see on its gear and heading to the paint booth!   Thanks for sharing this with us Brian.

Troy 

Thanks Troy, me too! The paint stage is one im TRULY looking forward to that stage.  Like Star Wars, that stage seems like a long time away, in a galaxy far far away.....

16 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Indeed I am Ray....................we kinda bugged Ernie about it and I think he finally relented. :lol: Having already done the nose gear, I actually bent and brazed all my own parts for it including a very stout solid brass main nose wheel yolk:

20171225_113936

20171225_114713

The main problem is, and I hate to say it after all the bugging done to get someone to produce a brass  set for the F7F is that the secondary hinged brace (second from the right in the first shot and the bottom most part in the clear bag in your shot) is substantially too short OOB and unfortunately Ernie's nose gear set is a direct copy of the kit part

I remember that whole discussion now! That's what happens when there is such a long time between updates! ;) 

Thanks much gents.

Ray, I know right?!??   :lol: Its been a long time for updates coming on this one..............

I've found with these kits the "resin pool" thing has become the bane of my existence. Doesn't seem to matter how thin the pool is,  (initially thinking a thinner pool to remove parts from would = less work) the work to remove parts in this manner remains the same and really REALLY saps modelling will. Its not like removing an IM part from a sprue tree, and this method really adds a significant amount of work for the modeler, and this I believe is the main reason you don't see as many HpH kits finished as IM kits, or even other resin kits like Pauls kits that deliver the same (or better) quality with fully made small parts on traditional pour stubs VS the maddening resin pools.

Ive got one engines top cylinders removed from their resin pools, and still have that same engines cylinder bases to remove and the complete other engine to do yet.  

I have simply resigned myself this is part of the process necessary to get my "dream model" made. *SIGH*  

I just have to get on with this unpleasant part, and once done with the engines, I think that resin pool part will get slightly better, with only the ribs for the nacelles left to remove from resin pools. 

fabulous to see this back on the bench Brian - takes me back to a certain Tigercat I was working on :)

shame about the nosegear, it is such a landmark part of the airframe it is a devil to get right - I know you will persevere - if you beat down that Extra 330, this is a walk in the park!

..also interesting to see those engine cores in real life - I did all the design for those on my 1/24 F7F and shared wheels, engines etc with HpH so it is nice to see they turned out so well :)

keep it up - we all need an F7F in our lives...

Peter

52 minutes ago, airscale said:

fabulous to see this back on the bench Brian - takes me back to a certain Tigercat I was working on :)

shame about the nosegear, it is such a landmark part of the airframe it is a devil to get right - I know you will persevere - if you beat down that Extra 330, this is a walk in the park!

..also interesting to see those engine cores in real life - I did all the design for those on my 1/24 F7F and shared wheels, engines etc with HpH so it is nice to see they turned out so well :)

keep it up - we all need an F7F in our lives...

Peter

Why thank you sir!  Your documentation has been near invaluable, and the engines indeed will be VERY nice when done. The cores are super well done, and I think are one of if not the best part of the HpH engines.

Really nice work on the MG . Much better than what they supplied.It's coming along nicely and I think the wingtip lights will look excellent.

Edited by Maxim

15 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I've found with these kits the "resin pool" thing has become the bane of my existence. Doesn't seem to matter how thin the pool is,  (initially thinking a thinner pool to remove parts from would = less work) the work to remove parts in this manner remains the same and really REALLY saps modelling will. Its not like removing an IM part from a sprue tree, and this method really adds a significant amount of work for the modeler, and this I believe is the main reason you don't see as many HpH kits finished as IM kits, or even other resin kits like Pauls kits that deliver the same (or better) quality with fully made small parts on traditional pour stubs VS the maddening resin pools.

Ive got one engines top cylinders removed from their resin pools, and still have that same engines cylinder bases to remove and the complete other engine to do yet.  

I have simply resigned myself this is part of the process necessary to get my "dream model" made. *SIGH*  

I just have to get on with this unpleasant part, and once done with the engines, I think that resin pool part will get slightly better, with only the ribs for the nacelles left to remove from resin pools. 

5 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Major project Brian,  I think all that sanding would drive me to jump off a bridge rather than just drink!! LOL

Nice work,

Ron

Guys, guys, guys. This is why they broadcast baseball and golf on TV! I have gotten tons of resin cleanup done while keeping track of golf tournaments and Mariner games. You only need to look up when something exciting happens. Otherwise you can get a bunch of mind-numbing work done while being distracted from total insanity by listening to the 'action.'