Looks like Eduard is reassessing 1/32

RBrown

I was reading Vladimir Salc's editorial in the January issue of Info Eduard, wherein he discusses the success of Eduard's 1/72 and 1/48 Bf 109 kits. Eduard has covered most of the sub types in the smaller scales and has abandoned the Buchon, but may not be done with the Bf 109, and Salc states, "I might have to change my mind about 1:32..."   

4 hours ago, RBrown said:

I was reading Vladimir Salc's editorial in the January issue of Info Eduard, wherein he discusses the success of Eduard's 1/72 and 1/48 Bf 109 kits. Eduard has covered most of the sub types in the smaller scales and has abandoned the Buchon, but may not be done with the Bf 109, and Salc states, "I might have to change my mind about 1:32..."   

If this relates to the 109 this may be a bit late. Years ago they just had Hasegawa in front of them and the kits were not that easy to get and not really cheap out of Asia. Now Revell, ZM and Kotare have jumped in the band wagon! I guess the only solution would be to focus first on simple models of not yet reproduced marks in 1/32 (hear AS engines marks cheap kits). If this relates to the MiG-21, this is a fully different story as except the very old and unavailable Revell dogs or the better but far from perfect Trumpeter kits the market is really opened! Moreover, the PF and PFM are a major gap for decades! Wait and see...

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

If this relates to the 109 this may be a bit late...

If this relates to the MiG-21, this is a fully different story as except the very old and unavailable Revell dogs or the better but far from perfect Trumpeter kits the market is really opened! Moreover, the PF and PFM are a major gap for decades! Wait and see...

D'accord. More permutations of Zero, One and Nine with what's out there or on its way already is arguably a waste of talent.

Yet a 1:32 range of Eduard MiG-21s could be spectacular, starting with a MiG-21F-13 as a spin-off from the all-new 1:48 tooling currently underway at Eduard.

A follow-on PF, evolving into PFM and MF etc if we stayed lucky. I have a half-dozen Eduard 1:48 Fishbed Profipack kits and scaled-up they would wipe the floor with the inaccurate, rough as guts 1:32 Trumpeters. 

I'm still curious as to what Rye Field Models is up to with their Fishbed tease, in terms of what mark and in what scale. And yes, a MiG-17F Fresco would be welcomed too. But not as much as a Fishbed.

Tony 

7 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Haha another 109. Hopefully E version. Dragon not bad but Eduard could do better, maybe? Keep it simple Eduard. But yeh 1/32 go for it. 

Dragon 109 E variants are great IMHO. The Eduard Es were too clumsy simple And inaccurate.  I hope we do not go back there. 

I would challenge Eduard to complete the early ‘109 A, B, C and especially the D variants.

If Eduard did straightforward 1/32 kit builds to the standards of their 48 scale 109, 190 and Spitfire ranges (no opening cowls or toy-like engines like their 1/32 109E's) then a MIG 15,  MIG-21 and even a F-86 Sabre in 1/32 would be surefire winners as no one does decent versions of these subjects in 1/32 other than the resin MIG 15 by HpH which is expensive and also as I understand, a very fiddly build.

Gary

As much as I welcome new blood in our scale, if they do come back in to 1/32 with anything even close to their old Bf109 they will likely be laughed at, and even scaling up their 1/48 stuff just won't fly in my book.

They make pretty looking kits but I think that Eduard's engineering choices in 1/48 - given they are meant to be at the forefront of the hobby - are often not great, often really poor... watching a few YouTube vids of very good modellers building some of their new kits and they are saying things along the lines of "well, the fit and engineering is nowhere near Arma Hobby, but it's still ok". 

If Eduard were a new outfit, they maybe get a pass, but they've been going for years now; that they have been outstripped by a complete newbie like Arma speaks volumes.

Whether they like it or not they are going to be judged against Tamiya and now Kotare... they better get ready for some brutal honesty, but I seem to recall that they tended not to like that...

The current Eduard Emil is horrible, and though the Dragon kit is nice, it has a few things that could be addressed like missing inspection panels and panel lines (scribing sux), and that tricky fit piece behind the cowling...and the moveable/needs filling control surfaces.  I hope they start with a AS/ types as they are the most uncovered in any scale.  

It will definitely give them more opportunities to sell their PE sets.

Edited by Gazzas
added text

I would welcome Eduard moving up to more 1/32, especially if they leave out the engine.  

Their latest 109, the K is excellent.  They have gotten great reviews on their Wildcats, and Zeros, both on fit and engaging.  

As I understand it, they had an early series of the 109, which did have issues, and was not as well engaged as their later ones.  Not sure where they made the change, but I have most of the G6 and G10 versions and they are all well engaged. 

Same goes for the FW-190 as again somewhere in the series they changed out the molds and added much more engaging, and rivet details.  You can see this clearly on the D9 kits, very nice.  

As much as I love ZM and their kits, they offer a lot of fit problems since they design the kits to have open or closed engine cowls.  The Do-335 I am just finishing was a trying problem with the front engine cowl, (flaps open).  And the main covers did not go on easily either, showing considerable gaps that I had to work on since I wanted one side closed.  The FW-190 was great until I got to the Engine covers.  Getting all the various single parts to line up without gapping was hard to do and I am still not totally happy with the outcome.  2 bottom, 2 middle, 2 top, plus the top center.  Leaving all of these open is great, but also adds a lot of more trouble with painting.  The engine on the kit is beautiful sans wiring (not sure why they can't add the wiring as they do on the non radial engines), but the engine has to be put in just right, and aligned perfectly to get the covers to fit.  After painting I had some issues.  After all of that if you want the kit closed up, all the engine work will never been seen. 

So, long story short, with modern design, I would welcome a new 1/32 on the market from Eduard, hopefully without an engine.  

Paul C 

1 hour ago, Gary Needham said:

If Eduard did straightforward 1/32 kit builds to the standards of their 48 scale 109, 190 and Spitfire ranges (no opening cowls or toy-like engines like their 1/32 109E's) then a MIG 15,  MIG-21 and even a F-86 Sabre in 1/32 would be surefire winners as no one does decent versions of these subjects in 1/32 other than the resin MIG 15 by HpH which is expensive and also as I understand, a very fiddly build.

Gary

In full agreement, I don't want to really see them get into the -109 field and I'm a -109 nut. Let's see 'em do the early jets instead. I built their 48th -109G and it went together ok, a little fiddly, but something doesn't look quite right. I can't put my finger on it exactly [ much like the Trumpy -109s]. I'd just as soon they leave the -109s alone [ just my 2 cents worth]. Eduard is also in this [why do it in 5 parts when we can do it in 25] type mind set.