Think we'll see any of the old Kitty Hawk kits under a new name anytime soon?

ScottsGT

3 hours ago, D Bellis said:

That's fine. But the rest of your 'pro' presentation actually describes the 'cons'. 

The fact remains that Kitty Hawk went out of business because they produced kits that the target market found unacceptable. 

D

Source?

We actually don’t know why KH went out of business. I’ve seen at least one report that the main problem was not being able to ship enough kits to distributors in the early days of the pandemic when shipping anything anywhere was a huge challenge. Maybe they were just totally mismanaged. Lots of great ideas don’t survive a poor business plan.

KH did not go out of business for any kit quality issue! If that was the case many other model companies would have seen bankruptcy. It looks they had liquidity problems and were victims of the Covid disruption of their 'just-in-time' production to delivery process. Their kits were not the best but not the worst either and indeed they made some stupid kit design choices. However they had the guts to produce kits no one was willing to cover and this includes a nice series of LSP.

If you wind up a company, you sell off it's assets to recover losses and pay out liabilities.  So I'd say it's highly likely that we'll see KH kits available again.  Whatever caused them to go belly up I can't say, but I doubt it was because of issues with the kits themselves.  If that was the case, how come Trumpeter are still in business???  :hmmm:

Cheers,

Michael

I can't speak for the fixed wing side, but I loved the helicopter line. Hope the helos are rereleased later on. The fuselage fit on the H-60's was a task, but nothing an average modeler's skills can't overcome.

The only bad thing I will say is that when myself and another UH-60 crew chief, Floyd Werner and a couple of other guys including a Pave Hawk crew chief would make a suggestion for fixing a design flaw in the molds, some of them were completely ignored. (We were subject matter experts, who helped design the H-60 models in the first place).

You would've thought they would have listened, but on some parts of the kit, they just dropped the ball.

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

I've got most of their 1/32 kits in my stash and looking forward to building them. I have built their RF-5 and it had a few fit issues which required a tad of model making skills. I enjoyed the build, I'd much rather have that as part of the mix, I am a modeller after all. I like evergreen, filler and sandpaper to appear in my builds somewhere, makes it feel like I've actually built something. Hopefully the kits will be released again as it's unlikely we'll see other manufacturers releasing similar subjects and we need as wide a choice of subjects as possible in my view.  

On 3/3/2022 at 7:31 PM, D Bellis said:

That's fine. But the rest of your 'pro' presentation actually describes the 'cons'. 

The fact remains that Kitty Hawk went out of business because they produced kits that the target market found unacceptable. 

D

Well, despite the moaning on the net I went ahead and bought four Voodoos. Just wished it had gone big, warts and all.

Missed the 1/32 Mirage 2000C, so I hope it gets re-popped by some firm or another. A great shame the Jaguar never made it big. Still wonder what Mr Song did with his big mock-up of that (ditto the Buccaneer).

Tony 

I really hope we see those kits, i neglected to get a F -101b ov-1 and one of their h-60.

Quality wise, i think ppl were a bit hard on then, look at how much modification most LSP members do to the tamiya F-4!

Im currently building the academy F-18 and there are some issues with that as well, noting that can be fixed but its not perfect, yet based on comments and review its an amazing kit, tbh based on that im i bit disappointed in it. 

Here to hopping they come back and hopefully at the same interesting price point! 

On 3/3/2022 at 7:31 PM, D Bellis said:

Which 'fact' are you referring to? A reference will be fine: I can Google it.

Meanwhile KH produced some really nice kits (both FJ Furys in 1/48 and the F-86D family in 1/32). Not sure what was 'unacceptable' about any of those, so maybe again you can explain where this is all stated.

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

A reference will be fine: I can Google it.

Here's one good example (and there are many more you can feel free to Google): 

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

...both FJ Furys in 1/48 and the F-86D family in 1/32...

You mean the FJ Fury kits with no locating holes for the underwing pylons/stores and the F-86 with locating pins too big for their corresponding holes? Ok. Sure.

No one is telling you what opinion to have. 

Kitty Kawk is out of business. That didn't happen because they made great kits. 

D

31 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

You mean the FJ Fury kits with no locating holes for the underwing pylons/stores and the F-86 with locating pins too big for their corresponding holes? Ok. Sure.

If making holes in plastic detracts you from building kits, you’d better take up golf. They have the proper-sized holes.

5 minutes ago, quang said:

If making holes in plastic detracts you from building kits, you’d better take up golf. They have the proper-sized holes.

It is the fact that they were too sloppy/lazy to do things right in the first place.

D