EBay Now Very Expensive For 1/32 Model Stuff?!

DeanKB

To me, EBay seems to have become MUCH more expensive compared to previously? So many kits being sold at unrealistic starting prices, people don't seem to start off bids at 99p anymore, with starting bids already being higher than the kits are worth?

I'm used to WNW & Tamiya kits being sold at high prices but it seems every kit is the same now, with old kits described as "vintage" or "rare"!?

Or is it just me?

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

What's worse are the individuals who have recently bought WnW's kits from Hannants, then listed them for considerably more than paid, heartening to see them without bids.

ps. Good to see you back Dean.

Thanks Andy!

I bought a couple of WNW kits from Hannants, but I'm glad to see the sudden, large influx of WNW kits on EBay going unsold. The prices are miles away from reality! You can always spot the profiteers, their starting bids are always ridiculous. Hopefully, they've had their fingers burned and will be forced to sell at far lower prices.

25 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Speaking of ebay, what's the seller situation like now? I've heard they seem to charge fees for everything, including postage, then send you what's left whenever they decide to, and then only to a checking account?

12.8% of the selling price plus postage, deducted from the price and deposited into your bank account. 

Personally, I think it's a pretty fair price, although I tend to try to sell stuff via forums first. When I do list on EBay, I always start at 99p, I think it encourages more bidding. When a listing is started at a high price, it invariably ends up not selling.

Not just Tamiya and WNW.

I been looking for an Airfix Typhoon Mk.1b - the bubbletop canopy version. 
Sellers are asking for nearly double the original retail prices of the things, and they seem to be getting bought, then attempted to be sold on at an even more inflated price. 

I never use "buy it now" on ebay.  Some of those prices are ridiculous. 

There's a guy who has been trying to get $750 for a WnW Fokker E.III kit.

I have watched that kit get re-listed for months and months and months. 

Shouldn't it occur to that guy at some point, "Maybe I'm asking too much?"

Free market economy. You can ask any amount you want, whether you get it or not is up to market demand. Models are no different than anything else, if guys want to ask collectors prices and they get them, good for them. I have gotten some pretty good deals lately, just gotta have patience. And remember, models are a want, not a need. 

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

12.8% of the selling price plus postage, deducted from the price and deposited into your bank account. 

Personally, I think it's a pretty fair price, although I tend to try to sell stuff via forums first. When I do list on EBay, I always start at 99p, I think it encourages more bidding. When a listing is started at a high price, it invariably ends up not selling.

So I buy a kit and send money to eBay and they chop off the money they want and give the rest to the seller?   For years I sent Money Orders to the seller, Huh

One big advantage EBay has is that it can connect sellers and buyers all over the world.

Incidentally, last Sunday I went to the Kit Collectors International event in Orange County, California.  Lots of old kits and very reasonable prices compared to Ebay, but it is a local event.   I spent 68 bucks on five kits plus $7 for admission...

52771463220_c743e41dd3_h.jpg

And don't forget the eBay customs brokerage fee if the seller uses eBay's shipping system. I won't buy anything from a seller that ships thru eBay, the fee can really add up if the kit is large scale. 

Which is just another money grab as Canadian's don't pay customs fees on toys and hobby supplies just extra tax on anything over $100. The only fee is $9.95 for customs to open the box and re-seal it.

Don