Ways of dealing with lack of "mojo"

The Madhatter

Well I can recommend revamping the modelling room as a way to restore the mojo.  As I said in another thread, I'm redecorating, so everything is in boxes scattered around the house, and I cannot do anything to advance any of the models I have on the go; I certainly can't start a new one.

This, of course, has me champing at the bit to get back to it, and all I'm waiting for is a date for the new flooring, so I can put everything back (re-organising as and if required) and get going again. 

But of course, this is a one-shot solution, not something you can do more than once every few years.  Well you can, but I wouldn't want to do it too often!

Edited by MikeC

This probably won't help, but just in case: I'm building the 1/48 Tamiya F-35A and it is the best fitting kit I've ever built; it's also a quick build. Not since the ZM DO-335 have I started a subject that I didn't particularly like and found myself liking it more and more as I built it, and I can't remember the last time I've smiled for prolonged periods as I fit pieces together (aside from after a few beers)!

Cheers,  Tom

I am frequently just too tired from my job and family duties (which are great, of course) at the end of the day to feel the necessary power for sitting down and building something. But from time to time it’s also the Mojo that decreases. Then I start something completely different. When I was fed up with 1:72 scale modelling, I went into 1:144 scale and then very quickly into 1:48 scale. I tried out 1:700 ships and I still love to build 1:35 tanks and dioramas from time to time. Once I was fed up with all my WW1 modelling, then I build only American and Japanese Navy planes for the next 1 - 2 years. Biggest change came with Winggnut Wings, then I changed to 1:32 scale - but that had nothing to do with mojo…. Coming to the point: When mojo‘s running low, I build something completely different.

Andreas

When I feel model building is too what ever, I pick or I am forced to work on our lake house.  Many things were ignored by the previous owner:  Two more rooms to paint over dark taupe, move the gas spigot in the laundry room or dig out the failed cement floor under the deck. After I set up meetings with contractors to get quotes and after disappointing responses/crap is done… I am loving my bench back at our great hobby.  I will probably paint the two rooms next. 

13 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Don't force it - it's as simple as that. 

Tom

This is spot on!....I've been guilty of this, and it never works out for the good!

As the others have said, it will eventually return, out of the blue, when you don't expect it, something will trigger it, hopefully sooner than later.

I'm a bit the same at the moment, haven't lost interest, just lazy, ....I am off work until the 30th of Jan, and have a stent in place until I get a kidney stone lasered, so am taking it easy with no exertion from doing other activities, and with all this bench time available, I am doing very little modelling, just too easy to go and watch tv instead, or surf the internet on the Ipad, but, not to worry, the modelling projects are still there if I feel like it.

Hope you get the mojo back soon MH!

Jeff.

You are not alone, I too am in the same boat, been fighting it since 2015. I've had a few spurts of motivation that lasts about 2-3 months tops but then bam, its gone. There wasn't any one thing that sparked the breif mojo rejuvination. One time it was going to the IPMS nationals, another was going to an air museum, a few times it was just seeing someones cool build either at a model club meeting or on a forum. I have several shelf of shame builds recently because I loose intrest 3/4 of the way through the build.  Probably don't want to here this but I have recently thought about hanging up the sprue cutters for an extended time frame because the flame has dimmed considerable for me lately. I've been building for about 42 years so I guess things do get old but hopefully things will change for the better- for both of us lol.. 

Edited by The Dude

54 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Do some of those chores you've been putting off.    Nothing puts me in the mood to model like being stuck in some DIY hell that I don;t want to do.

Thats good advice - Do something else you don´t want to do and modelling will suddenly look much more appealing :D

I am in a similar place at the moment but luckily I have other hobbies I can turn to.. it comes and goes for me but I have been modelling intensively for the past 4 years now so it is a little strange to have lost a little Mojo. I know I have a lot of projects I want to build but I just cannot seem to get started at the moment. 

/Niels

Build something weird, like a Heller insect  kit. Take a roller ball out of roll-on deodorant and build something with it. I heard about a model club doing this. One guy made a model of Sputnik. I think an old school diving helmet is feasible. One of the Japanese companies makes a kit of four types of Sushi. 

Personally I do several things. 

1/ Only build one model at a time.  Starting a new one is the reward for finishing one. 

2/ Keep a modest size stash, indeed I set a limit on it.  Finishing a model is the prompt to buy another one. My stash is currently 14 so I can buy one more kit, a position that awaits the Italeri Folgore. 

3/ Try out new tools and techniques and keep trying to improve on every model. 

4/ Once I have cut plastic on a kit I will select the next one to build and put the box visible on the shelf. I also start researching it and buying aftermarket.  It then sits to wait….

5/ There are points in a build where my motivation reduces, it happens to all of us, such as when there is a lot of filling and sanding to do, my least favourite modelling activity.  In which case I don’t force it but just sit at the bench and do something that progresses the build every day.  It might be at such times I only do 10 or 15 minutes work on it a day

or even less. The point is, the build is progressing and at some point I get on to a more motivating stage and I end up making progress again.  Such lulls only last a day or two.  

That’s it really,,,,

Edited by BarryWilliams