Loss of 2 Warbirds in Texas

Citadelgrad

It's easy to armchair QB this, so I'll reserve final judgment until the NTSB and FAA release their final findings.  In watching several angles of the video, it really looks and feels like the P-63 pilot lost situational awareness and ended up with the B-17 in his blind spot under the nose.  He probably never saw the Fortress until his prop was chewing into it.  

Ugh.  Condolences to all involved.  What a tragedy.  

The sad thing is that people want answers right now. They are not prepared to wait a lengthy time for an official report. One need only to watch media after an airplane crash to be bombarded with "experts" giving their reasoning for the crash. This satisfies the need within the public sphere for an immediate cause. BTW, this isn't an anti-media rant, just my observation as a retired airline pilot. By the time the FAA/NTSB report is released, the news cycle will have moved on to some other horrific incident. However, as a professional, I understand the process and realize there are many causes to a crash, many not immediately obvious. The PROPER thing to do is let the investigators do their job so that we learn from this event and apply regulation as required to prevent it from happening again. The fact is that aviation has become safer in a large part because of the accidents of the past that we learned from.

For those interested in follow up of this - and other crashes - I can highly recommend YouTube channel Blancolirio

its run by a current 777 pilot who is ex US military fighter pilot and subsequently heavy transport

aviation experts will realise he knows his stuff, and those that don’t fly he will still explain things in terms that we can all understand 

Unlike mainstream media, his channel will follow through from crash, initial NTSB report and (often years later) final NTSB report

Blancolirio YT channel

Horrible and very sad.  A young man and member of our model club is a crew member on
that B-17G "Texas Raider" during the summer show months.  I have known him since he was
in grade school.  Luckily he was not a part of the crew for this show.  

Prayers and condolences to all the families of those who were lost.

Jerry  

When I became aware of the Confederate Air Force, as it was called in the early 80s, the B-17 "Texas Raiders" was the main warbird they had. It was in all the photos it seemed.

Beyond sad and no words to see this horrible accident...

Absolutely horrific news, and the videos are just as disturbing.  Thoughts to the families and witnesses.  We recently lost another aircraft and pilot at the Reno Air Races as well.  Turns out the pilot was a person I had met once and had dinner with as he was a good friend of a coworker.  Trying times for aviation for sure.  

Very, very sad event with dramatic consequences. However I cannot stop thinking it is crazy to put such rare and valuable old airframes in the sky. The terrible result would have probably been similar if two recent planes or replicas had been used but at least such old artefacts would have been preserved. I know that planes are built to fly but even if fully restored these ones have not been built to be used as warbirds more than 50 years after their service time. So this is debatable but personally I prefer seeing them well preserved in a museum and rolling on the ground rather than taking the risk to end in ashes...:(

4 hours ago, Tony T said:

Sad, and my condolences to the bereaved. 

However, it's about time these elderly aircraft just taxied about on the ground. 

Tony

Yup, I think that important historical artefacts are being destroyed because crowds want to see a spectacle.