Sir Sean Connery Dead at Age 90

ringleheim

"Shaken, not stirred" or in the worst case SNL "S-Words or Swords?"

He was the best Bond that could be.... even though Ian Fleming said he (Bond, not Connery) "is no Riley". Check out Sam Neil in that really old BBC/PBS series.

What an amazing guy with a great legacy of work. Red October makes me believe all Russians could have an English accent.

Tnarg

Just now, Uncarina said:

“The Man Who Would Be King” is one of my top 10 movies, maybe top five. Miss him alreay.

Tom

That was such an awesome movie!! Connery and Michael Caine were an excellent team! 

His films are always been the only ones I can binge watch.  (Star Wars for my young Nephews).  One of my better plane flights to Paris was wine and three 007 films.  That was the first time I saw Gold Finger since I was 12yo.  It may be time to watch his films from his beginnings.  

4 hours ago, Tnarg said:

"Shaken, not stirred" or in the worst case SNL "S-Words or Swords?"

He was the best Bond that could be.... even though Ian Fleming said he (Bond, not Connery) "is no Riley". Check out Sam Neil in that really old BBC/PBS series.

What an amazing guy with a great legacy of work. Red October makes me believe all Russians could have an English accent.

Tnarg

But he wasn't Russian.  He was Lithuanian....

I was sorry to hear of this.  I'm not a fan of Bond (I prefer my spies by Le Carre or Deighton), but that character was only a small part of his canon.  MrsC and I have 7 DVDs with him in our collection, and had a bit of a binge-fest yesterday as a sort of tribute.  Started with A Bridge too Far, followed by The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Hunt for Red October.  That leaves The Longest Day, Last Crusade, The Russia House (from the book by the great John Le Carre), and The First Great Train Robbery.  The latter contains a wonderful scene between Sean Connery and Pamela Salem: "Tight fitting jointsh".  Maybe we'll see one or more of those today.

But in Longest Day, who on earth thought of giving a well-known supporter of the Scottish Nationalist cause the line "It takes an Irishman to play the pipes"??? 

RIP.

Edited by MikeC