Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like this guy is buckling in in prep for launch.  Realizing he had a bent airplane on his hands, the squadron CO probably grabbed his youngest Nugget and told him to fly the thing to beach for a quick strip and repaint.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2020 at 9:00 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like this guy is buckling in in prep for launch.  Realizing he had a bent airplane on his hands, the squadron CO probably grabbed his youngest Nugget and told him to fly the thing to beach for a quick strip and repaint.  Wouldn't be the first time.

I can assure you that airplane is not being prepared for a flight!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chad Veich said:

I can assure you that airplane is not being prepared for a flight!

I wouldn't be so sure.  I have a friend, whose brother said he overheard the barista at his local Starbucks say that she found a website that referenced that the USN often launched beaten up, barely flyable Hellcats back into combat.  I guess it's just what they did back then.

 

I think that pretty much seals the deal on this issue, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John1 said:

I wouldn't be so sure.  I have a friend, whose brother said he overheard the barista at his local Starbucks say that she found a website that referenced that the USN often launched beaten up, barely flyable Hellcats back into combat.  I guess it's just what they did back then.

 

I think that pretty much seals the deal on this issue, right?

There's a difference between "beat up" and "structurally unsound".  The only place that airplane was likely to be headed was over the side - beyond the capability to repair on board and replacements were readily available.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...