Jump to content
acresearcher

Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

I have exchanged a few messages with Profimodeller about replacement turrets for the Lib.

 

I got the idea on seeing their H-22 (V-1) conversion for the Heinkel He111 H-6, which includes a new dorsal turret.

 

They didn't know about the B-24 turret but seemed receptive, depending on demand etc

 

So, feel free to message them on Facebook and chime in asking for turrets!

 

 

Excellent news! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 6:00 AM, EvilCarrot said:

Even with the aforementioned flaws...

Don't have the Sitzfleisch to go through over 40 pages to find out what these are. Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes version of the boogers on this windshield?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bill Cross said:

Don't have the Sitzfleisch to go through over 40 pages to find out what these are. Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes version of the boogers on this windshield?

 

All plastic gear, big heavy model

turrets on nose and tail all wrong with ugly glue joints where it is supposed to be smooth glass.

wing airfoil all wrong

engines lacking detail.  

Rubber tires

Edited by ScottsGT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

 

All plastic gear, big heavy model

turrets on nose and tail all wrong with ugly glue joints where it is supposed to be smooth glass.

wing airfoil all wrong

engines lacking detail.  

Rubber tires

Cowl shapes off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

 

All plastic gear, big heavy model

turrets on nose and tail all wrong with ugly glue joints where it is supposed to be smooth glass.

wing airfoil all wrong

engines lacking detail.  

Rubber tires

The engines not the correct diameter they are  43.232" (1,098.092 8mm)  the actual P&W R-1830 should measure 48.062.5' (1,220.7875mm) which leaves a difference of 4.8350" (122 809mm) thats 2.4175" (61.4025mm) off in radius. In 1/32 scale thats 1.92mm!!! Ouch! Which means the cowls and the nacelles are off also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

The engines not the correct diameter they are  43.232" (1,098.092 8mm)  the actual P&W R-1830 should measure 48.062.5' (1,220.7875mm) which leaves a difference of 4.8350" (122 809mm) thats 2.4175" (61.4025mm) off in radius. In 1/32 scale thats 1.92mm!!! Ouch! Which means the cowls and the nacelles are off also.

 

It's more likely to mean that the engines are underscale in order to accommodate the thickness of the cowl plastic. This is a common problem with aircraft models that feature exposed (or exposable) engines.

 

Kev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a shape issue with the cowls that someone brought up earlier - with regards to a slight flattening at the sides when viewed from the front.

 

However - I'll wait until I have dimensions to work from before doing any corrective work - still a way off as I'm still working through the wings on my build.

 

You can't assume anything from the diameter of the engines as moulded IMHO.

 

Blue skies!

 

Iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's a lot of boogers. :P Thanks, Gents, much obliged.

 

Still, if I wait long enough, I assume some of you perfectionist pit bulls will come up with workarounds that don't involve scratching. Pastor John??? I'm definitely intrigued, though like with the B-17, would prefer an earlier version. I assume if this baby sells, we'll get one without a nose turret?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

There is a shape issue with the cowls that someone brought up earlier - with regards to a slight flattening at the sides when viewed from the front.

 

However - I'll wait until I have dimensions to work from before doing any corrective work - still a way off as I'm still working through the wings on my build.

 

You can't assume anything from the diameter of the engines as moulded IMHO.

 

Blue skies!

 

Iain

Hi lian

 I was only stating the difference between the real thing and the kit. Sorry if I stated something wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at all Ron - really useful input on engine diameters - just a little wary of extrapolating to the rest of the nacelles just yet!  :)

 

Iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the thread is called Initial Observations, I will share my opinion on the B-24J from my initial observations and impressions.

My box was faulty /or maybe all of them are/ it takes me around 60-90 seconds to remove the lid without damaging. So tight.

Boxart - ridiculous

Sprues and their contents - standard HB quality. Chunky details overall. This statement have nothing to do with the size of the kit too.

Decals - nothing serious.

Wheel struts - ridiculous. 

Wheels - ridiculous.

Engravings on the kit - scaled down to 72nd scale those might do. For that scale - ridiculous. 

PE parts - thick.

As for accuracy, the thread is enough as a source.

My conclusion: 

Mediocre kit at any level. Chunky in appearance. Beats the idea of scale modeling - having a decent miniature. Only a master can make this look realistic. Even without the corrections of the wrong shapes, it requires a lot of works on surface details, rivets mostly. 

Just the regular Joe /modeler/ will most likely fail creating decent representation. That includes me. Respectively - many will try, larger part of those will fail, due to the reasons stated above.

However, still an LSP and at a very affordable price. Cool subject for 32nd scale.

I still like it overall, but it isn't a serious kit nor a serious investment. Rather something to play with when bored.

But who do I try to fool? This is Hobby Boss. 

 

Edited by Eagle Driver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it’s a shame.  This is it. The only choice and chance to own it.

 

I guess if someone else did think of doing a 32nd B24 and read this thread, they would be wiser for it?

But who else would do it? Not a Japanese or European company. I don’t know much about HK but they did a B17 and Lancaster, so unless they do a more correct version, TrumpyBoss’s it is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...