Border He 111 35th Scale

Mark P

11 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Can’t help but think Border could have added new energy to 1/32 modeling- maybe they still might.

Not likely. They don't care about 1/32nd modeling, it's a business decision for them. Sorry.

38 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

From the majority of the responses I've seen (myself included) it would seem that 1/32nd would have been the better business decision. 

Better? First off, I'm skeptical that many of the loudest complainers would actually purchase ANOTHER HE-111 if it were in 1/32nd scale and not 1/35th. I think we're in a sort of echo chamber here, and so it sounds like the majority of large scale modelers will demur (and I believe many will quietly purchase these kits rather than jump on a soapbox and debate).

Yet at the end of the day (as the Brits are fond of saying), it doesn't mean **** what we think or say because Chinese companies only care about the Asian market. Period.

They don't take our needs and wants into account. These companies are often part of larger firms, and their marching orders don't allow them room for market research or consumer testing. They shove **** out the front door and use these sales to pay for whatever **** they pushed out the front door last quarter. With a few exceptions like Takom, they don't really pay that much attention to the American market (and even Takom has scaled back their involvement with the US). In some cases, they don't even ship their products here (look at Gecko, for example, their kits are hard-to-find here).

Same with Europe: the Chinese modeling companies see sales in the EU as incremental business. They aren't focusing their efforts on pleasing consumers there.

I know it sucks to think we're unimportant in the eyes of the companies who produce the kits we love, but they really don't give a **** what you and I and the rest of LSP think. They have decided that the Asian consumer is going to go big for planes in 1/35th scale.

Edited by Bill Cross

I'm simply basing that statement on the number of responses from people on the Internet who would buy 1/35th fixed wing models VS those who wouldn't since they are selling in this, the Western market. 

I have 0 access or knowledge of how the Asian market does or will respond.

What I do see is more people who either don't care about and are ignoring the releases like they would with any other scale that they don't care about, or downright dislike 1/35th scale and consider it an abomination.

How I or this website looks in the eyes of the manufacturers was not part of that equation  in the least. 

Honestly, I never have even taken that into consideration in any of my thoughts on the subject.

Also, the He-111 doesn't have anything in particular to do with what I was saying, it's the 1/35th fixed wing models overall, not a single release.

LSPs, and LSP the site have and always will be more of a niche in the modeling world.

Im guessing you have insight into the Asian market that I don't. 

So far I see more dislike for it than like, but you seem much more in touch than I apparently am.

If Border, et al, are so focused on the Asian market they could, in theory, skip the Western hemisphere and not bat an eye. However, I think large markets such as the EU and the USA do make a difference in whatever business decisions are taken. They're just too big to ignore. Personally, I'm too late in life and out of F's to give one way or the other, but 1/35 still seems an odd business choice to me.

If they were interested in the 1/32 market in the rest of the world maybe they could just upscale and do 1/32 after the 1/35 release has been pushed out. Seems weird to have both but not really manufacturing does it all the time for different markets- though apples and oranges- if they can make a profit that way maybe they will? 
The computer graphics and kit releases so far tell a story of a company on the up. If they can improve their instructions that’s all really needed. Aftermarket will hopefully follow. 

where im more curious is on the subject, Revell made the he111 its been super hard to buy but I have only seen a handful built. the question is revelI quit producing them because of poor sale ? 

I really like this plane but not enough to commit to 1/32 or 1/35 i would maybe do a 1/48.  i will keep that kind of shelf space for b-25 or b-17

I'm not going to tackle the 1/32 vs 1/35, for me tbh i want my display case to reflect proportions, so I'm committed to keeping a common scale, 1/48 and 1/32. the only exceptions are Bandai Star Wars since you can compare a Millennium Falcon to a f-16 or a AT-AT to a german tiger, although i would defiantly buy large scale Star Wars kits if they didn't cost more than my mortgage payments

edit: 

Scale rant based on my above reply, I'm building a AT-ST atm, and its the Bandai 1/48 and I'm actually salty that it not the same scale as my At-AT for the same reason i wont buy 1/35 

Edited by Neo

I'm not sure I agree with the "better" business decision thought ...

When planning a release of anything into the market place, the ROI of a "1st run" should surpass the financial investment ... If the revenue projections come back to you in the black, you have a successful product ... for most producers, that 1st run is the make or break - anything else is gravy ...

I would have assumed that Border have done the math ... and I doubt that we would be seeing newer releases in that scale if it had done poorly with other subjects.

If they can create a new niche market with that scale that is profitable for them ... I say go for it!

I'll resist pulling the trigger until there are a lot more subjects in that scale though.

Rog :)

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

I'm not sure I agree with the "better" business decision thought ...

When planning a release of anything into the market place, the ROI of a "1st run" should surpass the financial investment ... If the revenue projections come back to you in the black, you have a successful product ... for most producers, that 1st run is the make or break - anything else is gravy ...

I would have assumed that Border have done the math ... and I doubt that we would be seeing newer releases in that scale if it had done poorly with other subjects.

If they can create a new niche market with that scale that is profitable for them ... I say go for it!

I'll resist pulling the trigger until there are a lot more subjects in that scale though.

Rog :)

It looks like they are carving out WW2 1/35, maybe that’s where the money is. So they’ll have to do better than Tamiya, Kotare,ZM to be equal best in show for Spits, Zeros, Mustangs etc which is a tall order. But maybe they are aiming to come a close second like  Great Wall, Meng, ICM etc. And then carve out a niche. I’ll consider them for sure but got more than enough for now. Another half dozen kit releases and a few that interest then maybe could become yes. 
Their He111 so far looks the best in any scale. 

Edited by Pup7309