New Kotare kit for late 2024 announced

Borsos

13 hours ago, Shoggz said:

It was in this thread

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/kotare-s-next-subject-speculation-p-51b-vs-p-51d-n-t540473.html

Long story short. After someone declared that they hoped Kotare's next model would be a P-51B/C, a major argument, errr, discussion developed as to whether the P-51B/C had the same nose shape as the P-51D and if it didn't what was the cause of the difference. Someone suggested that it was the firewall that changed the shape, but Mr Roadrunner quite stridently argued that it wasn't!

If that's no longer there, your hunch is probably correct and some judicious pruning has occurred!

I read all that and what a damn mess, with all the usual suspects involved. I found it "entertaining" on one hand and silly on the other. There didn't seem to be any adults in the room. That's why I enjoy this forum so much, it's got it's characters but it's all good !

That's a shame, but good news for those that haven't taken the Kotare plunge and snagged one of the initial kits yet.

I'm slightly tempted to get another one, but must resist - I've built one and got two more in the stash already - and that's before I get the 'early' version!

The 20% off deal is tempting me into finally having a Kotare prrofile.

On the codes, Mr J seems to be blue-blind. I had a friendly discussion where he similarly insisted FS 16473 was merely grey. Having asked officialdom about the paint mix in my writing days they confirmed it includes blue pigment. 

The Spitfire codes are more subtly blue but I like Kotare's artistic interpretation. Kinda fün.

Tony 

One of the endearing features of Wingnut Wings was its pragmatic, elastic understanding of aircraft colours. Wise. Also, colour perception is not fixed between persons, nor is it necessarily constant for anyone over time, regardless of their involvement with model aircraft in any role or capacity. 

Perhaps a white Spitfire adorned with yellow polka dots would be interesting - large orange code letters, of course!

11 minutes ago, Christa said:

One of the endearing features of Wingnut Wings was its pragmatic, elastic understanding of aircraft colours. Wise. Also, colour perception is not fixed between persons, nor is it necessarily constant for anyone over time, regardless of their involvement with model aircraft in any role or capacity. 

Perhaps a white Spitfire adorned with yellow polka dots would be interesting - large orange code letters, of course!

I agree they I believe started with an open mind, some of which I suspect is they did not have near the self reinforced bias we have around WWII subjects.  Many in the WWII area, consider themselves to be experts, the WWI field was a bit more fertile ground for a fresh open minded look.  As such I think they have a culture of looking at things from scratch and not starting with assumptions.  There is also here and there a real color photo from the time to go to.  I really enjoy what they bring to the modeling world.

1 hour ago, Christa said:

All good points.

I think WnW also had some of the best overall instructions and documentation that were to be had anywhere.

The gold guilded boxes also were a trivial but cool WnW addition.

18 hours ago, rsanz said:

large-000000.jpg

This photo shows some good features of these Spitfires. Note the nose has a slight sheen and appears slightly darker? The Merlin was a very leaky engine and ground crew were continually wiping over the cowl panels which became quite oily, hence the sheen and darker appearance of the colours. Ground crew testimony post war also mentions grabbing pots of paint and touching up scratches and wear on the aircraft. This may explain the appearance of the wing leading edges. The wing root wear looks grey to my eyes - the Spitfire was given a coat of grey primer before the camouflage was applied. I’m not sure ground crew would let wear and tear get through to bare metal.

The Official colour for code letters at this time was Medium Sea Grey. This was a paint prepared to service specifications. Some have suggested variations due to differences in mixing diligence. I’m not sure of that. This was brush painted on the aircraft. 

TnoV4Wy.jpg

There are inumerable factors involved in color perception.  One that is rarely mentioned is light/lighting

which itself is subject to inumerable factors. Source, direction, atmospherics, etc. It's an interesting

subject and one that has me more confused when I'm finished than when I started.  W8t0S0k.gif

Edited by MikeMaben

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

TnoV4Wy.jpg

There are inumerable factors involved in color perception.  One that is rarely mentioned is light/lighting

which itself is subject to inumerable factors. Source, direction, atmospherics, etc. It's an interesting

subject and one that has me more confused when I'm finished than when I started.  W8t0S0k.gif

Oh how right you are, some colors are more prone to metamerism than others , whereas the same color looks different under different types of light. 2 that readily come to mind are Sky type S[ s meaning smooth or satin finish]and ww2 IJN J3 grey. It most definitely can get very confusing. I just get it in as close as I can and it d..u..n.. done. It helps to have an authentic color sample but again we're dealing with 75 -80 year old paint so there's that.