Trumpeter AH-64A Announced

John1

Title says it all.   Question is - will it be designed by the folks who do Trumpy's armor kits (which in all honesty are pretty decent) or the teams that do their aircraft (which in all honesty usually suck)?     2nd question is whether they will follow Takom and Meng and replicate all the very pronounced rivets that cover this helo or just go with the divots they use in all their other models. 

378843542_6032684956831822_1611060216923

I find it amazing that we now have 3 outfits offering new tool Apaches and still, no one has been inclined to do a UH-1D/H, which is only the most produced western helo of all time. 

7 hours ago, John1 said:

Title says it all.   Question is - will it be designed by the folks who do Trumpy's armor kits (which in all honesty are pretty decent) or the teams that do their aircraft (which in all honesty usually suck)?     2nd question is whether they will follow Takom and Meng and replicate all the very pronounced rivets that cover this helo or just go with the divots they use in all their other models. 

378843542_6032684956831822_1611060216923

I find it amazing that we now have 3 outfits offering new tool Apaches and still, no one has been inclined to do a UH-1D/H, which is only the most produced western helo of all time. 

Agree with you 100%. Someone needs to come out with a 1/32nd scale UH-1D/H. Areas that need to be emphasized on accuracy; the main rotor mast, tail rotor w/gearbox, rivet detail (not bolts, or deep holes, and lastly, skids that will support the model with a noticeable squat.

Chris

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

It’s interesting that for a couple of decades there’s been no good big scale AH-64, and now in the space of 2 years or so, we’re getting four.

That seems to happen on an unusually regular basis in modeling for some reason.

Maybe not four at a time, but we seem to get our share of 0 to 2.

The more the merrier... However I would be a little concerned on their behalf. I have the vast majority of Trumpeter´s 1/32 scale kits either in my stash or built, and I have yet to see them come close to the surface detail of the Takom kit. I have not yet received the Meng kit but from photographs I would say the same concern applies..

I still hope it does well for them so they will put more kits out of stuff that is not already on the market..

/Niels

I really dont get it, what is it exactly that has triggered 4 companies to produce kits for the same airframe (caveats apply) . The market for AH 64's surely cant be that that huge? 

Anyhow, I've taken delivery of the Takom Guardian version and am extremely pleased with the quality of the kit. Im sure it will build into a perfectly passable Apache.  

Edited by Phartycr0c

4 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

I really dont get it, what is it exactly that has triggered 4 companies to produce kits for the same airframe (caveats apply) . The market for AH 64's surely cant be that that huge? 

Anyhow, I've taken delivery of the Takom Guardian version and am extremely pleased with the quality of the kit. Im sure it will build into a perfectly passable Apache.  

My gut feeling is telling me that someone is doing very deep measurement/analysis of specific airframe maybe even some cad work then selling this to multiple companies. To me this is the only explanation. We have had new F-4 in 1/48 all at once, new f-14, then new ah4, new p-51d ,mosquitos, ect

It got to be some ahared data somewhere making this happen

On 9/16/2023 at 5:51 PM, Dave Williams said:

Hopefully Academy’s kit would be new tool, not a rebox of the Kangnam/IMEX kit, like they did with the AH-64A.

That Academy Kangnam monstrosity of an abortion kit is on my bench right now….I almost trashed it when I realized what I had bought but persevering to the finish as a “whif”

Ukrainian markings, digital camouflaged with XM 200(?) rocket launchers and HARM missiles 

I wish I’d never bought it though…