Revell 1/32 Gloster Meteor F.3

KiwiZac

20 hours ago, MikeC said:

It ^^^ does, many thanks, although I'd just add one thing: some Mk 3s did have long nacelles.  I know this from photos, and from the fact that my Chemistry teacher at school had flown Meteor Mk 3s in the RAF as National Service pilot, then the R Aux AF.  The only sure way to tell a long-nacelle 3 from a 4, apart from the serial number, is that the 3 has an intake or "bump" of some description visible on top of the nacelle, the F4 does not.   If you look at it from the front, it can be seen in the 11 o/c position.  Long-Nacelle-F3-2.jpg

Nice picture.  In all, only 210 Mk.3's were built.  Yes, the last batch of 15 Mk.3's had the first version of the longer engine nacelle.  This had a smaller intake than the later Mk.4's and T.7's and I think was enlarged again during Mk.8 production.  Opening up the intakes gave more power.  A lot of aerodynamic advancement took place during Mk.3 production.  It's also possible that some Mk.3's were retrofitted.  Similarly, the Mk.4's with the longer wingspan were put straight into storage after a couple of wing shedding accidents and the wings clipped later at which time they were re-issued to squadrons.

I'm fascinated by these early jets as they developed so quickly thanks to the jet engine.  1935 to 1960 represents a very interesting period in aviation.  So many advances compared to the previous twenty five years.  The next quarter of a century was more about refining the concept and everything started to look the same.  A bit like cars today, really. :(

Cheers,

Michael

On 12/18/2022 at 12:17 AM, Kagemusha said:

I received the information it's an F.3 from a very reliable source.

Thanks Andy, I am just catching up on a reply to the thread.

so we now know what version we are getting I like many others am really surprised why the Mk.III, I personally like the Mk.III so will happily build one at the price that I think is right, will pay the price if it is a great model, but may think twice if it has a box filled with other bits and bobs that I do not like, want or need.

Now onto the price this really confuses me in comparison with other kits that Revell has in their catalog, well at least on Hannants as a BASE price list.

As has now been indicated the retail price will be say £145.00 I cannot really work out what will be in the box.

if it is going to be in the Technik range the Spitfire is £180.00, so why would this be cheaper, also in my memory, they release the Technik versions usually after their base type versions.

the fairly recent F/A-18 retails at £93.00, which is a larger and more complex aircraft / model, and even with the huge increases in costs I am not sure you could add another 50% to that price for a Meteor. Added to that fact they have just released the Hurricane at a very affordable price of £45.00, which is now cheaper than the now fairly old (in relative terms) P-51. So this does not quite weigh up.

last option well the new kit by itself for discussion sake costs what the F/A-18 costs so say £90.00 then we add say the V-1 which although is not a Revell tooling it is in their catalogue so that is £27.00, so then the bundle cost is say in the region of £120.00, so what else will come in the bundle…….

Anyway those are just my thoughts and ponderings, so for a nicely and well detailed kit that has been designed by a good team that may or may not include Radu then I would be quite happy to spend up to £100.00 on a Meteor Mk.III, there are lots of other 1/32 scale kits costing a lot more, so if this is in your line of interest at todays prices it is not way out of the ball park. However if it is still a good single KIT ( but it will have to be REALLY GOOD) I may push to the asking £150.00 but then it will be a one and only.

If it is crammed with extras and or lights and noise then I will just have to wait until they start selling them on sales at a reasonable price, and throw the tatty extras away. (my thoughts only as I know others love lights and noise)

LASTLY, I think this is a big miss from Revell as there is very little scope to develop future models or versions, but to be fair the likes of Airfix and Revell do not usually tool up to make major changes to airframes to cover various options in the family along the like of Eduard, Kinetic etc. where they go more for a wide spectrum of a ‘family’ in one type.

Looking forward to knowing what we get as and when Revell reveal more.

On 12/20/2022 at 8:38 AM, Ali62 said:

... I think this is a big miss from Revell as there is very little scope to develop future models or versions ...

I commend Revell for doing this kit but agree that choice of mark is a bit if a misfire.

The ongoing focus on WW2 is getting incredibly dull. 

If manufacturers firmly believe war sells, then fifty years ago Linebacker II was raging over Hanoi with jets battling MiGs and SAMs; seventy years ago Task Force 77 was conducting three carrier-strong strikes against Yuson-Dong and Kwangsuwon, braving layers of Triple-A; and fifty years ago next October Israel was fighting for its very existence againt an Arab coalition. Why not a Grumman F9F-2 Panther? A Dassault Super Mystère/Sa'ar? A MiG-21PF?  More to the point, why not a Meteor F.8? 

Granted, 1/32 suits WW2 fighters. We ain't gonna get no B-52!  But the scale also suits many relatively small jets from the 1950s-1960s and these deserve treatment by mainstream manufacturers like Revell. 

Hopefully the Meteor F.3 will sell well and encourage development of a 1/32 subject beyond or antecedent to WW2. 

Tony 

1 hour ago, ninjrk said:

I'm pretty happy about the F.3.  I know it limits what paint can be used I think having a 1/32 version of the only operational WW2 jet the allies fielded is pretty awesome.  

Exactly.

The F.3 is the ONLY version of this airplane that I might buy a kit of - but not at the apparent the price point. If I can get one down around $50, then maybe. 

D

17 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

Exactly.

The F.3 is the ONLY version of this airplane that I might buy a kit of - but not at the apparent the price point. If I can get one down around $50, then maybe. 

D

I have to agree.  I know they made MORE of the other versions, but the F.3 was the first allied jet in combat.  That warrants a model in my collection for sure. 

Just thinking out aloud, does anybody know if the Tamiya 1/48 Meteor F.3 was a marketing success? I don't recall too many appearing in the various RFI's so this would lead me to believe that it was not a success and WW2 fighter or not it's not a well known subject. I reckon a 1/32 F.3 would be a one way ticket to losing money. The F.8 on the other hand did partake in serious combat in Korea for starters and had more users and schemes and is more well known amongst modellers. Just to be clear I have two HKM F.4's, one of which I am trying to mate with an ID vacform back end to make an F.8 because I missed the Fisher conversion and I really want one. If Mr (Herr) Revell sees sense and does the F.8 then the hybrid will go to great plastic re-cycler in the sky.

TRF

Hi all.
The model is announced at Hannant "Gloster Meteor New Tool, October 2023"
But unless I am wrong, the illustration shows a Mk-IV, with long engine nacelle, not an end of production Mk-III ) Mystery, mystery.
Richard

RV3830.jpg?t=1671664411

On 12/20/2022 at 9:38 AM, Ali62 said:

Thanks Andy, I am just catching up on a reply to the thread.

so we now know what version we are getting I like many others am really surprised why the Mk.III, I personally like the Mk.III so will happily build one at the price that I think is right, will pay the price if it is a great model, but may think twice if it has a box filled with other bits and bobs that I do not like, want or need.

Now onto the price this really confuses me in comparison with other kits that Revell has in their catalog, well at least on Hannants as a BASE price list.

As has now been indicated the retail price will be say £145.00 I cannot really work out what will be in the box.

if it is going to be in the Technik range the Spitfire is £180.00, so why would this be cheaper, also in my memory, they release the Technik versions usually after their base type versions.

the fairly recent F/A-18 retails at £93.00, which is a larger and more complex aircraft / model, and even with the huge increases in costs I am not sure you could add another 50% to that price for a Meteor. Added to that fact they have just released the Hurricane at a very affordable price of £45.00, which is now cheaper than the now fairly old (in relative terms) P-51. So this does not quite weigh up.

last option well the new kit by itself for discussion sake costs what the F/A-18 costs so say £90.00 then we add say the V-1 which although is not a Revell tooling it is in their catalogue so that is £27.00, so then the bundle cost is say in the region of £120.00, so what else will come in the bundle…….

Anyway those are just my thoughts and ponderings, so for a nicely and well detailed kit that has been designed by a good team that may or may not include Radu then I would be quite happy to spend up to £100.00 on a Meteor Mk.III, there are lots of other 1/32 scale kits costing a lot more, so if this is in your line of interest at todays prices it is not way out of the ball park. However if it is still a good single KIT ( but it will have to be REALLY GOOD) I may push to the asking £150.00 but then it will be a one and only.

If it is crammed with extras and or lights and noise then I will just have to wait until they start selling them on sales at a reasonable price, and throw the tatty extras away. (my thoughts only as I know others love lights and noise)

LASTLY, I think this is a big miss from Revell as there is very little scope to develop future models or versions, but to be fair the likes of Airfix and Revell do not usually tool up to make major changes to airframes to cover various options in the family along the like of Eduard, Kinetic etc. where they go more for a wide spectrum of a ‘family’ in one type.

I would have loved this to be an F.8, like many. But no matter what Revell do, it's never going to satisfy us. Remember their Hunters everybody screamed for for decades? They were duds sales-wise. Who would have thought....