1/32 Short Stirling

tomprobert

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 10:38 AM, Derek B said:

Hi Tom,

I assume that you have some cunning plan to represent the moveable joints on your undercarriage legs? (structurally, they look really sound).

Cheers

Derek

Yes indeed, Derek - all the joints etc will be made from plastic card and bits of sprue and the like. Once the main structure is done, it’ll be a long process of adding the finer details. 

After a glorious week skiing in the Dolomites of Northern Italy, I returned and tentatively opened the attic to see if the Stirling was still standing on her new legs… 

52792433166_1c79a91b1e_b.jpg

52792878723_02d4ef1ec7_b.jpg

…and thankfully she was! The undercarriage hadn’t budged even a fraction of a millimetre so I’m calling it a success. 

I’ve added a few more bits of the main structure from more spare sprue: 

52792827850_b78afa9c06_b.jpg

Now it’ll be the long task of making and adding the many other details to really bring these to life. 

Saying that, I’m off to France for a week now so actually it’s heading back into the loft for the time being!

Tom

I have to say I admire hugely where you got to with the Sunderland and where you’ve got to so far with this build.  I just invested in the Gazelle and a donor Blue Thunder kit and to say it’s been an interesting experience thus far would be an under statement!  I’m toying with posting the build but I’ve got no idea if it will make it or end up in the bin.

Nice one.

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

I’ve not neglected this build but, as usual, I’ve been working on other projects whilst keeping this ticking along.

It’s been a long task, but I’ve more or less completed scratching the main landing gear - there’s the doors and their actuators to add as well as brake lines and the like, but these will go on when the gear is properly installed. 

I just thought I’d post a quick phone pic of them as they currently stand - I’ll get the decent camera out over the next week or two and take some more detailed shots. 

52920590529_dc9eea4c8e_b.jpg

Not too bad considering this started as some spare sprue from the HobbyBoss B-24! Happy days. 

All the best,

Tom

Here is some info on bomb loads that may be of use:

http://lancasterbombersinfo.ipage.com/Data/Manuals/Stirling/AP1660C-and-D/Section_4/4.html

pg 45 shows the station locations. Also in the file there is details on the water ballast containers that were carried at times on the bomb carriers. Plus fuel tanks that were carried in the wing cells, starting on pg 52.

Jari

Evening all,

After a glorious weekend away walking in The Lakes...

52938295041_68fb400151_b.jpg

52938295216_e1a66a981e_b.jpg

...I thought I'd have a proper test-fit of the gear as well as take some piccies using the decent camera set up. The undercarriage isn't attached yet as there's lots of detail still to be made and added to the bays - not to mention the painting of both the bays and legs - but a set of metal pins inserted into the spars as mounting points and holes of the correct size drilled into the upper-most past of the gear legs means they are a snug push-fit and support the model without glue. 

I've also made the basic twin-rear wheel set up by utilising Beaufighter tail wheels and legs, which with some mods have done the job. Not perfect replicas, but once the bays and doors are finished off not much will be seen anyway. 

DSC_0309

It all looks very gangly at the moment, but when the undercarriage doors are added as well as the bomb bay doors, it should look the part.

DSC_0307

DSC_0305

DSC_0303

DSC_0301

DSC_0299

DSC_0297

What to tackle next? The bomb bays or engines? Decisions, decisions. Onwards and upwards, as the old saying goes...

Until next time,

Tom

Oh look everyone, Tom's back again just casually creating a masterpiece between nature adventures. You really need to liven up buddy :P

It's looking mighty impressive!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA