1/32 Short Stirling

tomprobert

On 8/11/2023 at 1:00 PM, JayW said:

I have spent a fortune on Evergreen products of all kinds.  Useful stuff for us polystyrene guys!  Well done Tom.

I honestly think that the amount I spend on Evergreen and sheet plastic ends up being more than I paid for the kit in the first place. But, as you say, it’s so useful for scratch work and I’d be lost without it. 

8 hours ago, Supersonic said:

Tom is without any doubts our Vacu-Master !

Outstanding Model so far . Can't wait to see it finished .

Greetings Stefan

Many thanks, Stefan. Vac-master? That’s very kind but I just bumble my way through and hope for the best!!

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, partners…

I’ve now completed the main bomb bay structure as well as the wing bomb cells on the Stirling. 250+ pieces of individually cut Evergreen has got the job done - quite tedious but the results are worth it. There will still be some more to add when the bomb load goes in such as racks and some piping, plus the doors of course. 

On the real aircraft the divider between the gear bays and the outermost bomb cell is actually open with the truss work exposed, but I’ve gone for strength over accuracy as beefy card is needed for the wheel bays and general wing structure to give it enough strength to support the model. 

53138683419_328fd32e01_b.jpg

53137887927_67587f6f28_b.jpg

53138894015_c9a782e60d_b.jpg

53138956863_4a50c2e9ca_b.jpg

53138893905_3e6d40e804_b.jpg

53138484156_9e3baff62b_b.jpg

I need to finish off the main gear bays but I’ve had enough if cutting plastic strip for the time being so will focus on something else!

All the best,

Tom

I just spent a pleasant lunch going through your thread. This is one of the most remarkable builds I've ever seen...well, since your Sunderland. Full marks to you and your creativity and engineering. You must love the aircraft to devote that much time to getting it right, and from a vacuform kit. 

I just dumped a bunch of "likes" in your account too.

Looking forward to following this one.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

16 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

I just spent a pleasant lunch going through your thread. This is one of the most remarkable builds I've ever seen...well, since your Sunderland. Full marks to you and your creativity and engineering. You must love the aircraft to devote that much time to getting it right, and from a vacuform kit. 

I just dumped a bunch of "likes" in your account too.

Looking forward to following this one.

Richard

Very kind, Richard - thank you!

3 hours ago, Jaro said:

Simply outstanding!

I can remeber your Sunderland very well - so this one will be a perfect companion.

How many big guys  have you in your collection?

Many thanks! The 1/32 collection is fairly large. So far I have a B-29, B-17, B-24, Sunderland, Halifax, Shackleton (stalled scratch-build) and this. I’ve also got the HK Lanc to do as well. Room, as you can imagine, is running out fast!!

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Frankly Tom, I think you're a nutcase   W8t0S0k.gif  a very talented nutcase.  

;)

Thanks - I’ll take that as a compliment!

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Frankly I’m disappointed that your joints aren’t mitred, perhaps even dovetailed for strength! Butt joints only!!? :P

Fantastic work young Tom, I feel like a bodger in comparison. :bow::bow:

My humble apologies - I’ll try to do better next time :D

WOW but that's impressive work.  And talk about running out of space!  I've never started building multi-engine bombers because I can't decide if I should settle on 1/72 or 1/144 for them.  Doing them in 1/32 is just a whole 'nother dimension....