1/32 Short Stirling

tomprobert

On 5/30/2023 at 8:39 PM, tomprobert said:

What to tackle next? The bomb bays or engines? Decisions, decisions. Onwards and upwards, as the old saying goes...

Until next time,

Tom

OMFG...

just a legendary, wonderful, inspiring, ambitious masterclass in modelling..

Oh, and I will have engines as the next course please :wub:

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

The engines have been my recent focus, and considering the Stirling shared the same ‘power-egg’ as the Beaufighter, I utilised the cowls and engines (from the Revell Beau) which has made work much easier - considering all you get in the kit are these bumps in plastic: 

52988719614_27472cc1c2_b.jpg

First up, I assembled the cowls themselves, tarting them up a bit with some Evergreen and plastic card:

52989035683_68bf6e598a_b.jpg

The engines from Revell are actually quite good out of the box, and considering everything is black and very little will be visible, I built them OOB, painted them satin black and weathered them lightly with some oils. 

52989035773_95806289cc_b.jpg

Atop the engine nacelles are big carb and supercharger intakes. The MkIII Stirling had a longer intake than the earlier MkI, and handily the Revell Beau gives a good starting point to use. These were sliced and then extended with Evergreen:

52988949645_b5d7f67d36_b.jpg

And then blended with filler:

52989036303_b02503ca2f_b.jpg

Next, the finished power-eggs were mounted to the plastic card firewalls I’d made previously when constructing the wings, the intakes added to the 12 o’clock position on the cowlings, and viola!

52999653766_b382467a1d_b.jpg

A lot of this work has taken place al fresco as it’s been so warm of late:

53000027910_083f22788e_b.jpg

So, here we are as of now:

52999806589_b509ce7574_b.jpg

53000027625_b66e0f4eff_b.jpg

52999055957_6429cf19d2_b.jpg

I need to have a think about the oil coolers which hang low under the nacelles, but that’s a job for another day. 

All the best,

Tom

You must be a rare soul, Tom, to be able to mix wine and modeling.  I can’t even imagine my results after a glass or two:  “Of course SR-71s had a main rotor, my dear.  How else could it land?  Do we have any more Pinot I wonder?  Oh my.  I believe I just sat upon my hobby knife!”

Not a wine drinker, more a ale drinker myself!

As usual, what needs saying, has already been said but I’ll go with ‘bloody fantastic’!

As usual though, I do have a question which is from memory, the kit instructions don’t give an awful lot of information regarding the internal build, engine and landing gear mods, leaving that to the modeller to discover this information themselves, what information have you got and if drawings, are this readily available?

Cheers