Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


JayW last won the day on October 13 2020

JayW had the most liked content!


About JayW

  • Rank
    Senior Member
  • Birthday 06/05/1951

Profile Information

  • Gender

Recent Profile Visitors

1,708 profile views
  1. I here 'ya. Getting back to why I considered 3D print, recall I was struggling mightily with machining the wheel halves. I think the last failure on the lathe was just a bridge too far and I was no longer willing to invest so much time and effort into another machined part living in fear all along that it might self-destruct at any moment. To watch that nearly finished part, after hours of careful turning and milling, jam and fling itself across my garage was soul destroying. I still desire to 3D print the wheel details. I await a couple of test parts that are in the mail, to see how succ
  2. Thanks! I am very early into this process and am still not at all sure how far I am going to go. I have begun to work with a fellow in the UK who is sending me a couple of test parts. We'll see where we go from there. I like your idea, alot. Never thought of it! I'll get back to you if it comes to that. Again thanks.
  3. Awesome! I cannot tell - do you have the leading edge on there, or is that still to come?
  4. If other materials is not something Tim can provide, I need to look into this. Do you think Shapeways is a competitive outfit in which to explore? I am getting a feeling cost might be the biggest factor! OMG if each of these parts is going to be up to $25 to $50 each, why that will put a huge damper on my indiscriminate 3D modelling!
  5. Hi Craig. I used white metal aftermarket landing gear on past builds of a P-51B, and a P-47D. Both began to deform and sag with time, and I've heard of this issue from other modelers. I wonder if there is a material out there that doesn't do that, and can be cast as you describe. I believe my plan B is going to be good old fashion whittling and filing, and use printed parts in the less stressed areas (like the scissor link lugs).
  6. Geez Jay - what happened to the cockpit work? Good question. I have been kinda fixated on digital modelling of the landing gear components, trying (unsuccessfully?) to limit the modelling to items that cannot be scratch built in a convincing manner, or are just too hard to do (like my infamous outer wheel half machined part). I showed you the digital models for the tire, inner wheel and outer wheel. I await 3D prints of the tire and inner wheel - test parts to see how the process works with the level of detail I am providing. Can't wait! Thank s Peter and Tim for your help so
  7. Good Lord man - what a wonderful effort on the FW!
  8. Mighty clean! Man do I wish I could get some 1/18 scale switches and handles. I have to resort to cutting pieces of wire, etc.
  9. Wow Wow Wow!!!! Realism to the inth degree Peter. I love it!
  10. Always an easy decision for me. Screw-ups and repairs are better hidden in a war weary cockpit!
  11. Richard, I have this from the Erection & Maintenance Manual for F4U: Not sure if the F4U-4 specified the same tire pressure. Probably was about the same. I agree with you that an underinflated tire uses up precious energy. However when it comes to an aircraft tire, there would be a number of considerations that don't necessarily apply to a car. For instance, keep the tire size to a minimum - landing gear bays are big open inefficient structures, the smaller the better. Longevity would not be much of a consideration. Landing loads (sudden loading and rotation
  12. It is my opinion the tire shown is overinflated, and the aircraft is at or near empty weight. But who knows.... I did an experiment with tire bulge and my own car (a Honda Fit 2017). I wanted to see if the tire contact area and the tire pressure corresponded with the curb weight of the car. The tire contact area was tough to measure, but I got two pieces of paper and crammed them under the tires on either side of each tire in both directions and measured between the edges. Then I assumed the patch was elliptical and calculated areas for the front pair, and the back pair (the b
  13. Thanks all for comments on the tires and wheels! After brooding over the size of the tire bulge, I decided to decrease the width of the bulge from .58 inch to .53 inch. Unweighted tire width is .486 inch, so that is a substantial reduction. So I did some math for anyone interested (you know - a sanity check). The bulge shape you see defines a footprint that is a near ellipse with a major radius of about .28 inch and a minor radius of .165 inch. Ellipse area is major R x minor R x pi = .1454 sq in. Full size would be .1454 x 18 x 18 = 47 sq in. The Erection and Maintenance
  14. Major repairs of fragile paint jobs - you must have been on pins and needles. Looks great though Peter!
  • Create New...