Trumpeter F-35C at Sprue Brothers

Dave Williams

59 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

That is a lot of dollar for a kit of a not-that-big airframe. I really don't see these flying off the shelves at that price... 

Chris. 

Not that big? The F-35C is about the same size as the F/A-18F. Regarding the price, does everyone not realize that pretty much everything is expensive today? In many cases, items are more expensive now than they were a year or two ago. One small example......when Spruebrothers first got the Tamiya lacquers, they were $2.50 a bottle. They're now $2.90 a bottle. 

Several shops in Europe just postponed the release until mid-end september..  Guess the container got re-routed to US ;)

I must admit I dont measure my kits by Weight of plastic pr. dollar so I will be getting this.  I am However glad that I will not have to pay $250 for it... Damn.  "Over here" It's priced around eur 125. That is just about $130

It’s over $200, so free shipping, and I’ve never paid sales tax for shipping to FL.  Also, it’s $200 over at Squadron, and I think free shipping there too.  Don’t know about what locations Squadron charges sales tax to or doesn’t.  As Dave said, prices are going up, especially for shipping, so getting these things over here from China probably costs more than a year or two ago.  SB is now charging $160 for the Italeri kit that’s a couple of years old.  This kit was never going to be cheaper.  Also, this version is probably the least popular F-35 version (IMHO).  If this was a F-35B, think people wouldn’t be griping as much.  But, it is what it is.  Buy, or don’t buy, or wait for a sale.

Back to the kit itself, here are the instructions.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/5/2/1404952-42-instructions.pdf

Curious whether the LE and TE flaps can actually be drooped.  The LE flaps look like they might be able to, but not sure about the TE ones.  The pictures I’ve seen of -Cs with wings folded seem to show the flaps dropped.

I bet half the wholesale cost is just shipping across the ocean and freight terminal costs.  All that has skyrocketed in the past year or two. 

I just wish a mega Hobby would get it.  I have a $250 gift certificate but they don’t have a whole lot in stock I’m really want. 

On 8/17/2022 at 10:24 PM, Dave Roof said:

Not that big? The F-35C is about the same size as the F/A-18F. Regarding the price, does everyone not realize that pretty much everything is expensive today? In many cases, items are more expensive now than they were a year or two ago. One small example......when Spruebrothers first got the Tamiya lacquers, they were $2.50 a bottle. They're now $2.90 a bottle. 

18.3 vs 15.7m is a 16.5% larger length… the relationship of the square of the difference (i.e. more surface area i.e. more plastic) is 32%…  surface area of the Hornet is 1/3 larger… surprisingly the Super doesnt even weigh that much more.

The company I'm working at is often importing things from all over the world. We used to pay about $2.000 for a 40ft container from China in 2020. We had to pay $16.250 (yes, sixteen thousand two hundred and fifty) for the very same size and weight of a container two weeks ago. No, not for the contents, that is the freight cost only! 

The contents is another story because there is another 80% spike of price there as well in one year. And the shipment was about two months delayed due to how they handle things in China nowadays.

No intention to spread pessimism, just ringing a bell that "cheap kits" period may be over. Post-covid prices are fueled even further up with inflation now. I am collecting the kits I  can find and afford because every new kit will be coming with a higher price tag in the next few years.