Make the others jealous

LSP_K2

On 1/25/2023 at 7:19 PM, dutik said:

Nope. I've checked this. Both types of radiators are on sprue D, one radiator per sprue (and one wheel). That's why we get two D sprues: two wheels (good idea :D ) and two full side radiators.

BTW, I am thinking about a small dio with the unlucky one from the instructions image gallery that got partially submerged in the ditch... :piliot:

While talking about the DFW: Did you use some/or buy AM parts? F. e. HGWs seatbelts and the cockpit interior with the wooden parts?

I've at hand a 08/15 MG and a anemometer from Gaspatch (not to mention different rigging buckles) and a PE cooling jacket (slim) for the 14/17 Parabellum but no idea about the need for (better?) seatbelts and interior parts. I think I'll not order the HGW MG, engine and exterior parts. Adding some wires to the engine by youself is not complicted and Gaspatchs MGs are much better than HGWs. Not to mention that the cooling jackets from Gaspatch are ready to use without any rolling/bending.

Regards

- dutik

Sorry, forgot to reply earlier!

I've dug up my kit and indeed you are correct, the only thing you might need to make yourself is the radiator water tank on top of the engine that is on the early sprue.

As for aftermarket, the only thing I have bought are the new Copper State Models uncovered spoke wheels (3D printed, and they are gorgeous!!), as the Dutch ones are photographed with only the internal covers still in place, or have no covers at all. And besides, they look awesome! :)

The forward gun is pretty much hidden unless you leave all the cowlings off (I'll put them on as it looks better IMHO) and the rear gun was seldom fitted in Dutch service so not really needed as well. Might also be true for the forward gun but as it is so hidden it's hard to tell.

For belts I'm not sure yet, the kit ones are OK-ish except for the spring part, but I'll try to cut them and replace the round spring with wire wrapped with  with Ushi strech wire first before buying aftermarket ones. I'm limited by budget (the kit was expensive enough back then...) and also like to fix kit stuff myself, even if it doesn't look as great as aftermarket items. Although even I am not crazy enough to make my own exposed spoke wheels! :D  I also prefer to paint my own wood with oil paints rather than use decals.

The orange circles are easy enough to make, I just need to figure out how to do the tail registration and have a guess at the colour used for the fuselage with it's overpainted markings. :) (the tail is orange)

8e4ec5ed-a3f1-1382-54de-496c31f8277a.jpg

Originally it looked like this:

dfw-c5-la46-lvk-1.jpg

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S

Latest addition to the bookshelf (sort of):

KLP publishings AEG G.IV book.

Splendid! Better than Windsocks "Building the..." books, because KLP has larger photos (and you can enlarge them even more) and a lot of extra tips and tricks.

The Windsock books are good too, pointing also out where to add missing details, which steps you might skip because invisible in the end and giving nice painting advices, but KLP is just a tad ahead of them. OK, to be fair: The KLP books are written by nobody less than Karim Bibi :speak_cool:

Regards

- dutik

BTW, the KLP books are not as expensive as you might think: Price ist Australian $, not USD, so a third cheaper! :D

Edited by dutik

The latest haul:

52684395629_7c17f47828_b.jpg

Jadlam had a special offer price on the Revell Hurricane, so I snapped up another. With my loyalty points and the special offer I got it for less than £35 delivered, so pretty sharp.

I have also put my toe into the airbrushing world, with the purchase of Neat and Handy's Mini wireless airbrush. Let's see how I get on with it!

I've also got (and too big for the photo) a portable paint-booth to go with it.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:29 PM, treker_ed said:

Not been buying anything plastic related of late, although did renew my Airfix Club membership last week, and the new club package arrive last Friday. And the FR.9 Meteor that's a part of it, is a beautiful little kit that will come straight to the top of the build pile (when I get some modelling mojo back.....but that's another story!)

Anyway, the other major time eating hobby I have is PC Gaming! And for that back in Jan 2020 I built a reasonably decent, well appointed, gaming rig.  16gb of memory, dedicated sound card, plenty of storage, fairly ok CPU, an ok GPU and plenty of headroom for expansion down the road if needed. I was finally looking at the end of 2022 and during this year to upgrading a few components. Already done the storage - 2 x NVME SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD, 1x1TB SSD, and the original 240GB SSD along with 2 x optical drives (1xBD-RW, and 1 x DVD-RW). Picked up a new Graphics card, RTX 3070, and a new CPU cooler, on the basis of needing something a bit beefier to handle a newer CPU, which would have been saved up for along with some extra RAM. All ok so far.

However... New CPU cooler went faulty within a month and had to go back to the supplier. No longer stocked and has reached EOL (End Of Life) ... Therefore, cannot be replaced like for like. Replacement they suggested - full of lights and RGB which I'm not a great fan of (!), original was called a stealth cooler for the simple reason it had none of those stupid lighting effects. It seems that these days, as soon as anything is noted as "gaming" or "High End" for PC's it automatically has to have RGB lighting and LED, and all sorts of 'cool' lighting effects built in. Anyway, as I said, not a fan, so the replacement was not suitable, asked for a refund, and purchased a different one. All they had without lighting, was one almost twice the price of what I originally paid!

My graphics card had to be replaced a couple of weeks ago, as the one I had was overheating:( Hence the RTX 3070. Paid way more than I wanted to do so, but thankfully not as much as I would have done last year, this is one area where prices have come down at least (sort of!) No way getting the current crop of cards (RTX 4000 series) way overpriced and uses way too much energy - I would have to get a power supply that uses 1KW, which is just crazy.

Fast forward to today, and over the last week or so, my PC has developed a rather annoying 'ticking' or 'clacking' noise. I've tracked it down to a little 40mm sized fan on the motherboard. Super annoyingly, its described as being a "non-user replaceable item (!!!!)" Which really means, we don't to replace it - we would rather you just buy a new board if it goes. Sadly, it's failed, and even after a complete system strip down, and clean of the fan, and greasing of the fan shaft, it's not remedied the problem.

I have done a lot of research, and it seems motherboard makers know about the problem, it's widely known about with my particular type of board, and no-one has been able to get a replacement fan. Well, except that is one You-Tube tech channel, but that's more about that particular manufacturer not wanting any adverse publicity... My only solution - to send a few hundred quid and get new components - thankfully only new Motherboard, CPU, Memory. The rest can still be used.

So what have i bought:

• AMD Ryzen 5 7600X Processor
  • ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi Motherboard
  • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 Memory

Here's hoping that this lot will last a bit longer than the 3 yeas that the stuff above lasted! The system that my Jan 2020 rebuild replaced, lasted for 9 years! With only the replacement of a few bits, GPU, extra memory, sound card, extra storage. 

(Apologies for long post, lots of info to get down!)

Didn't stop there either:BANGHEAD2:

Several days later, another very loud "clacking" noise started coming out of the case - what the hell this time! Well, not the motherboard, no fan, not the fans on the CPU cooler they are brand new. Can't be the case fans, I've already spent hours and hours diagnosing them... The only flaming component left this time is the power supply. So more diagnostics. Side panels off, lay computer on side, switch on.... Nothing:huh: What the dickens is going on? Stood the case on it's feet, and.... there it is, a blooming, rhythmic, clacking noise, as if something is hitting against something else!

Time to take it apart again! Out comes the PSU, and be damned if it's in or out of warranty, this sucker is coming apart to see if I cant see anything obvious. 

Short while later..

Clouds of dust being blown everywhere as the internals are filthy from 3 years of usage (yep, that's all it is, 3 years old, bought in Jan 2020!). All blown out using the airbrush (has multiple uses and not just for painting:P). Check it over, nothing obvious. Now I know what you're thinking, all this over some little noise! Yep, and you would be right if I was not autistic, and realised over the last few years that I have a certain amount of sensory issues. If I hear a "new noise" coming from somewhere it should not, or a regular, constant noise, my brain will lock onto it, and concentrate on it, even if I'm listening to music, or playing a game on my PC. And it can drive me to distraction. I have to solve where it's coming from, and remove it. I cannot have a ticking clock in the bedroom for example, I would not be able to sleep, my brain would just concentrate fully on it and not relax. Anyway, once cleaned up the PSU was put back in my rig and rewired in. Did it work? :shrug:

Nah of course it flaming well didn't! I've had to fork out another £100+ to get a replacement PSU for the blooming thing. I've played safe, and got one that's slightly more power, and a better power efficiency as well. I'm sat here typing this and what's the loudest thing I can hear? The boiler from the heating system kicking in, and me typing on the keyboard! The system is now quiet as a church mouse :party: Do I go the whole hog and replace the case? Well, yes, I am thinking of doing just that, but for what I need size wise, and the amount of components I need to fit inside said case, I need a full tower case, I also need a case with 5.25inch drive bays to fit two optical drives. For that privilege, I'm looking at forking out another £290!!!!! And I could only find one case, from one manufacturer that is still making a case with 5.25 inch bays in a full tower case! I've asked the wife to buy it for my birthday later in the year (September....) We'll wait and see what happens. For now, I have a very quiet, working PC gaming rig. Here's praying that it stays that way!

10 hours ago, panzerrob said:

Hi Kevin

What is your opinion about the Deathride of the Panzers book?

With regards,

Rob

What I've seen so far is excellent. A few photos that I've already seen (naturally), but lots of new stuff, at least to me. It's a heavy volume too, at almost 200 pages. Hardbound, very nice.

11 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

@LSP_K2Have actually been looking round the site for a few ideas, and using the sliders to filter the cases. Sadly there is one massive drawback..... Newegg is based in the US, and ship from the US to the UK. They have a UK Newegg site, but still ship US to UK. Shipping for those cases is just as much as for the case itself!

As a test I placed a case in online basket to see what the shipping was, £118, case was £108, VAT & Duty (estimated...) £38. The total was just under what I would be paying for the case in the UK which I can get shipped with no carriage, and next working day. Apart from the fact Newegg would be shipping from the US, I would have no idea how long it would take, and if I would get hit by additional import fees when it hit the UK, which seem to be fairly random judging by some of the comments when people have order kits from overseas!

OMG OMG OMG

After hunting for so long i finally managed to get a Revell 1/72 Razor crest !!!! 

omg-wow.gif

for some reason, they are super hard to find in Canada(at a reasonable price)  we just started to get the AMT kit, which I was going to get until I saw side by side compare... not even a battle Revell nailed it 

Edited by Neo