Make the others jealous

LSP_K2

Ya know, a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, when there were 200 or so of the "In Action" books, I had one of each. But not anymore.

Including this one. Check out what #15 is, if you have one. It's not the Ju 88. Your Ju 88 book is probably #16. :rolleyes:

fuU7Hu.jpg

13 hours ago, denders said:

Ya know, a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, when there were 200 or so of the "In Action" books, I had one of each. But not anymore.

Including this one. Check out what #15 is, if you have one. It's not the Ju 88. Your Ju 88 book is probably #16. :rolleyes:

My #15 is on the F-106.

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

My #15 is on the F-106.

Yes, so is mine. In a way, I have two #15s. Back when I obtained that one, the fellow who owned Rosemont Hobby Shop in the Allentown, PA area explained it to me, but I don't recall the explanation well enough to be sure I'm repeating it correctly.

And yes, for those who may have done 1/72 WWI stuff back then (1990s) and bought Roseplane resin parts, it's the same hobby shop.

On 2/12/2023 at 6:24 PM, treker_ed said:

Do I go the whole hog and replace the case? Well, yes, I am thinking of doing just that, but for what I need size wise, and the amount of components I need to fit inside said case, I need a full tower case, I also need a case with 5.25inch drive bays to fit two optical drives. For that privilege, I'm looking at forking out another £290!!!!! And I could only find one case, from one manufacturer that is still making a case with 5.25 inch bays in a full tower case! I've asked the wife to buy it for my birthday later in the year (September....) We'll wait and see what happens. For now, I have a very quiet, working PC gaming rig. Here's praying that it stays that way!

Well, the case I wanted to buy has now gone the way of the Dodo:angry: The manufacturer has stopped making it and has decided to launch a replacement sometime in the 2nd quarter 2023. Have been in touch with them to query the 5.25" bays of the replacement, and there will be less that what I will need at present! So back to the drawing board. After a few hours of research (and it was a quite few hours) I managed to find another case that had 2x5.25" drive bays, and plenty of expansion room in the case. This time from a high-end case maker called Fractal Design. Decided on a Fractal Design Define 7 XL. Usual supplier was supposed to be getting it into stock on 28th Feb and was priced reasonably at £219.98 with free delivery. Knew it wouldn't go smoothly, and late in the day, the stock ETA got changed to 24th March! Plan C... Get it from secondary supplier, but for £40 more, and will be charged carriage:angry2:

Case is now on its way and will arrive tomorrow (02/03/2023) sometime. Sometimes I hate being a gamer/PC enthusiast due to the high costs, but it's my other passion hobby - so I should be used to these sorts of things! At least the damn case is not festooned with LED lights and RGB crap like most PC cases are these days. Hate the damn stuff - load of flashy rubbish that just wastes even more energy and is completely useless!

I will probably not be buying much if any modelling stuff this year due to what I've spent in the last month or so on computer components. probably in the region of £1800, really not chuffed about any of that. So the kits in the stash will have to suffice for a while! Apart from several of the 2023 Airfix releases, I haven't seen much that has interested me anyway!

Of course there's been a problem! Half way through the re-build and found some internal damage! 

A small metal bracket has been badly damaged and bent out of shape! Ordinarily I would not be too bothered, except in this instance, it has sheared quite badly, and has almost broken away, if I attempt to reshape it, it will brake off completely! I'm in touch with the suppliers to get it returned! 

I wouldn't mind, but I was almost at the point of getting everything wired up! nothing has gone smoothly with this build at all!

y4mK0WucKO-VjzXDNyavIwNTaW8DhydyU9wj5HNK

y4mv8M7GWgpchwH7QslakOTaWSXFhPWXTfPhv8Oj

Edited by treker_ed

On 3/2/2023 at 1:56 PM, treker_ed said:

Of course there's been a problem! Half way through the re-build and found some internal damage! 

A small metal bracket has been badly damaged and bent out of shape! Ordinarily I would not be too bothered, except in this instance, it has sheared quite badly, and has almost broken away, if I attempt to reshape it, it will brake off completely! I'm in touch with the suppliers to get it returned! 

I wouldn't mind, but I was almost at the point of getting everything wired up! nothing has gone smoothly with this build at all!

All credit to the supplier, they have collected the damaged case today, and have already sent out the replacement for a delivery to arrive on Saturday morning. They have been really good 8n getting things sorted out. For anyone in the UK it's Overclockers.co.uk that's been the supplier in this case. I think the damage happened in transit, as there was damage to the box, but no obvious damage to the pc case. It's only when I opened it up, and in the middle of the build I found it!

On 3/3/2023 at 7:34 PM, treker_ed said:

. I think the damage happened in transit, as there was damage to the box, but no obvious damage to the pc case. It's only when I opened it up, and in the middle of the build I found it!

I should have had an inkling something was up, when I took the drive cages out, they were not "squared off", but rather a bit trapezoidal in shape!!!! But didn't think much of it... When I put the case back together for shipping back, I noticed that the panels were not in alignment, something I had not spotted originally! 

New case arrived today. Had a massive scare though..  DPD driver decided he was going to be an idiot and lift a 40lb metal case (in a 3 ft tall cardboard box) by one handle of the box! The box ripped, and he dropped it:BANGHEAD2:. Luckily, no physical damage to the case, just the cardboard box. But what a Muppet!!!!!

System is up and running, finally! Took me several hours to get the thing rebuilt. By far the longest build I've ever done.

y4mSqy1NWBBFond_zuTlvKVHQh0ZsFt05NJoReC9

y4mXASm3V_ubzM6y1m27-JMiSP_wXbO52CIHZRCJ

y4mFCmRK52MnKeqp5KjrsYcVgORBgYBkhQ3Y8XC1

y4mxE-POs9SutXDXixeWwcwnBq4OnbPOExa8ucyp

(Thought I'd add the pics of the damage the driver caused to the packaging!)

Edited by treker_ed

• 2 weeks later...