1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

Apologies as usual for lack of photos - but had some time today, so here goes...

As I've probably mentioned earlier, the cock[pit area was printed as a separate section - and single skinned with no infil, so that I could cut out the window sections. That was pretty straightforward with a fresh scalpel, and some files.

Section then primed - first with Halfords Grey Primer, followed by a coat of Halfords Filler Primer, and here's where we are:

48b427_05fd555c1ca14c099bacb2cdac3ddc6c~

Next item was to join the front two fuselage sections so that I could make a floor.

The mating surfaces are pretty chunky (4mm wall thickness) - and faces perfectly 'true' - but a 20 thou styrene strap was added behind the joint to aid alignment and strength:

48b427_0901224e47df4369bb372058f29289b5~

After allowing a day for everything to dry, the floor and bulkhead were marked up on a sheet of 2mm thick styrene sheet using the 3D printed sections as a guide and a technical pencil to mark out:

48b427_9ef666e5369c4026a2f1088dd02dc91b~

Back in a mo, there's more...

Iain

So today I've mostly been test fitting - and tweaking - the floor and bulkhead sections on the forward fuselage.

Only this section will be detailed - the fuselage behind this is curtained off where the operator stations are and nothing would be visible of the final model.

Here are the components dry fitted - a few gaps where everything needs strapping together after gluing:

48b427_a7c59b0407ff4e20a9664bbfa060c773~

48b427_0e78dd0806444b77be8b298ccfa7ecd3~

And with the cockpit section loosley placed to give an idea of my thinking:

48b427_1ec81b051c1145b68802e4789e775a3b~

These parts are now bonded together with Revell Contacta (the stuff in the bottle with the needle applicator) and strapped up to dry overnight. Should be a *really* strong assembly!

Also sanded back and primed the nose - ready for a little minor re-shaping and surface detailing:

48b427_1ece321d3b3543ddbcf88d167fdbcc67~

And primed with Halfords Primer:

48b427_88276e99b09e440fb98de9a1baab2b87~

Blue skies!

Iain

I'm not sure I'd use the term beautiful - it's certainly interesting (or should that be challenging) as a project though...  :D

As said before, this is very much my 'apprentice test piece' - I'm using it to play with 3D Modelling and Printing techniques, so it's more a learning canvas than a means to a finished model - but we'll see.

It's certainly been enjoyable so far - and I enjoy problem solving, which is most of the work.

I will say though, HIPS prints are far easier to work with and prepare than ABS ones.

Just removed the tape from the floor and it's all hardened off nicely.

May get some more done later today and post some more pix.

Iain

Brilliant progress, Iain. I got too carried away with other projects to continue with the P-8... regarding the main panel, do yourself a favour and overemphasize the thickness of the instruments, screens and the other raised parts of the panel - this will hugely ease painting. Your photos make me want to continue working on my Poseidon for sure! 

Thanks for the interest everyone - appreciated!  :)

I'm on a hugely steep learning curve at present - and will probably back-track a few times as I find new ways to do things.

The panels are a case in point - having a play to see how they turn out - and things like the undercarriage will be challenging - but the exciting thing about having the printers is that you suddenly realise anything is possible.

Made a bit more progress - will try and photograph at the weekend.

Have fun!

Iain

Last weekend I managed to get some of the fuselage sections glued together - and some filling and smoothing done.

Now down to three major sections, rather than 6:

48b427_0d84d33680e44ae6b15e19c98260d563~

And lesson learned - the rear section fell off the table and a section around the open bomb bay broke off. Luckily the split was along print layer lines - so relatively easy to re-bond. It was also a demonstration that the process that I'd used on other sections - of flooding the surface with MEK before sanding greatly enhances the shear strength of components, as it helps provide additional fusion between the layers - the broken section hadn't been treated yet!

A section of 6mm clear acrylic I ordered last week arrived this morning - this will be cut into 6 x 4cm 'pegs' to locate the three fuselage sections - after reinforcing all accessible internal joints with styrene sheet.

Have fun!

Iain