1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

24 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I don't think Iain scaled up any physical parts, but rather, he had the CAD designs to hand (done by somebody else), and modified those to suit, prior to printing the parts.

Kev

Makes sense. I wonder, is there a way to 3D scan a part into CAD, and then scale it up? Is anyone doing this?

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

1 hour ago, Dennis7423 said:

Makes sense. I wonder, is there a way to 3D scan a part into CAD, and then scale it up? Is anyone doing this?

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Dennis, I have asked that question myself. And I hope to do just that in the coming weeks. The tail on my Vigilante is mocking my attempts to draw it in a cad program. Perhaps it will be as simple as a scan and a resize?

I would think that there would be a market for scanned and printed models. However a few ethical questions would arise.

Dan

On 11/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, airscale said:

Wow Iain - amazing stuff

I really need to develop my skills - I can do bits and bobs in 3D, but the idea of making complex shapes like these is just beyond me..

I have spent 2 days trying to model one prop blade - ultimately an epic fail - any advice on youtube vids or anything that helps turn known outlines / cross sections into such buttery smooth shapes?

brilliant model - loving seeing it get realised bit by bit

Peter

Ah-hemm!  :)

3 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Scanning parts is not "easy" - all you get from a scan is a cloud of points which first have to be converted into real surfaces. Then, you have to add material thickness as well. In addition, high-resolution 3D scanners are still super expensive at the moment. 

True story! I work as a CSI, and we have 3 FARO scanners that we use to 3D scan crime scenes for court documentation. They are super accurate, down to .3mm, however they are roughly $25k a piece. I'm sure they make something smaller, and "more affordable", but if we're talking about scanning two belly pieces from a Me-410 and and He-111 and scaling them from 1/48 to 1/32, I'm not sure that's feasible yet :-p

All this thread drift aside, Iain, you're making a wonderful model, and I look forward to more progress!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Just came across this topic and thought I'd give you all a 'heads up'. I worked with the CAD designers to convert the 737-800 model into the P.8A, it's a two stage process, the first was to make a 1/100 scale display model, the second stage is to modify the design to be more like a kit with 1/72 in mind. The new CAD files will hopefully have better detail, thinner trailing edges, a seperate cockpit section (to make a clear part), wing pylons with weapons and an open weapons bay.

If anyone has any suggestions, I can pass them on and hopefully get them incorporated into the design.

I'm also trying to convince him to convert his -700 into the E-7

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thank you for chipping in - really appreciated!

Now, I'm really intrigued with your comments regarding new CAD files.

Is this for an eventual model kit, or CAD files that will be available to purchase and download?

The cheeky question is: is it worth parking some of what I'm doing now and waiting?  :rolleyes:

Regards,

Iain

23 hours ago, Iain said:

Hi Tony,

Thank you for chipping in - really appreciated!

Now, I'm really intrigued with your comments regarding new CAD files.

Is this for an eventual model kit, or CAD files that will be available to purchase and download?

The cheeky question is: is it worth parking some of what I'm doing now and waiting?  :rolleyes:

Regards,

Iain

Hi Ian,

Sorry I didn't spot your build earlier! When done, the improved kit version will be available as a download, alongside his other models.

Looking at how far you have got with your build, I would say the only advantage in waiting would be for the weapons bay and of cause the wing mounted weapons, which could be added later.

I have to point out, I'm not responsible for any of the CAD work, just information and suggestions for improvements.

The only problem is that the CAD designer is only interested in civil airliners and despite the P-8A having the highest number of downloads so far, he has no interest in military aircrafut. I think I have convinced him to do a VC-10, along it's military derivatives!

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for the reply - appreciated.

Understood - I haven't printed the wings yet, so will see what happens with the CAD model.

A VC-10 would be superb - an absolute 'must have' for me and I'd want to print that at 1:32 too!  :wub:

We live fairly close to Brize and that beautiful shape was often to be seen over the house...

Iain

On 11/4/2021 at 11:26 AM, Zola25 said:

I am just loving the "craziness" of this build :) - Can´t wait to see the finished model.

- Every update brings me one step closer to getting a 3D Printer.. 

Funnily enough it's the "craziness" of this project that's helping with my sanity at the moment!  :frantic:

It's a thoroughly absorbing project - and hugely rewarding so far...

Get that printer! My FDM and Resin printers are the best modelling 'investments' I've ever made - hugely liberating and a learning challenge that has great rewards.

Of course, the next big 'investment' is learning the CAD side - which I'm currently working on. That will provide the ultimate in modelling liberation and reward!!  :)

Blue skies,

Iain

Today I have mostly been doing some surface prep and sanding on the fuselage - followed by a coat of grey primer.

It's highlighted a few surface cracks - all easily sorted - but I'm quite pleased with the result at this stage.

Remember the front fuselage is still a number of separate sections - and the tail feathers are just placed in their slots for now...

48b427_bbd53d3298604f5dba6409773d34fd8a~

Oh - and 'meet' Tim, the frog - the very firstest thing I printed!  :)

This little fella is named after the evil Doctor Tim (aka @wunwinglowof this parish), who's well and truly led me astray with this 3D print nonsense.

You have to watch him, he's very persuasive...

48b427_f1ed29f0a1144e6aa808e605246c4ab8~

Apologies for inflicting this on you lot - and I look really miserable to boot - but gives an idea of the size we're dealing with here:

48b427_6623319b647741c88cdb3f36a83fb363~

More when there's more...

Blue skies,

Iain