1:32 Boeing P-8A Poseidon?

Iain

It's funny, I'm in quite a few 3D print groups on Facebook now - and you often see people pop up and ask what type of printer they should get for scale models.

Almost without fail the answer from the assembled experts is - get a resin/LCD printer.

However, they are missing something...

As I said at the beginning of the thread, I owe @wunwinglow a big thank you for the grounding he's given me in recent years - he's frequently brought test pieces down to our club meetings at Chippenham and demonstrated what can be done.

All I've done is taken those building blocks of advice, experience and expertise from Tim - and applied them to my own equipment.

But the really big lesson from Tim is that FDM printers have their place alongside resin printers in the modelling armoury - the two types actually complement each other.

Properly dialed-in, an FDM printer gives really good results - but will never match the resin printers for finesse and definition.

For large parts that require strength, with lightness, but don't need detailed surfaces - the FDM process is ideal, especially when using HIPS as the print material.  And it's cheaper!

For the smaller, more detailed components, resin/LCD is the modellers' friend - and the plan is to produce such parts for this model on my Sonic Mini 4K LCD Resin printer.

But, like all 3d printing, I've learned it's part science/tech - and part dark art: lot's of testing with the particular printers and materials, as well as local environment, you are working with.

This project is still a bit of a 'test-piece' - I just need to fully get to grips with the CAD modelling side of things now...  :)

Iain

Next part of "My First Boeing" rolls off the 'production line'.

Tempest and scale for, er, well, scale I guess...  :rolleyes:

48b427_561015773d054efdb8f52f004c884121~

Definitely a 'blue period' at present...

Next section, between this and the main gear bay, is on the printer now - that should be 'cooked' by Friday afternoon.  :deadhorse:

Iain

Looking good! I started printing my one last night too. Had been waiting until. Got a new (read: not warped) build plate for my Cr-10 but I said stuff it and started doing parts on my Prusa Mini.

if I end up making any parts in cad before you do, I’ll send you the print files 

That's brilliant Mike!  :thumbsup:

I've been chopping out sections for the gear bays and weapons bay - and I've broken up the front fuselage into upper and lower halves that will join at floor level - that should make the interior easier to do.

I'll only be detailing inside from just behind the observers side windows through to the cockpit.

Will post some images of the breakdown drawings at the weekend.

Iain

22 hours ago, Iain said:

Another 8(ish) hours to run for the next section, which includes part of the Weapons Bay.

I've removed the doors in the 3D model to make it easier to model this area later - just support material in the photo...

48b427_becedd1f70b84ad69fd9e07caac55024~

Iain

Beats watching television...:)

Derek

7 minutes ago, IvanVasili said:

Great work. Is there any guess how heavy the finished model will be?

I am sure that Iain will provide a definitive answer, but my understanding is that it will be very light, as it has a hollow matrix core.

Regards

Derek