1/18 Hawker Fury

airscale

Peter,

Your work never ceases to amaze me! I am just really catching up with this awesome scratch build; building a bi-plane is so different to anything else you could imagine and presents all sorts of unexpected new challenges to solve (you very quickly appreciate the very different engineering and design philosophies compared to later monocoque structures and just how important angles are!).

One great thing for me, looking at your assembled and installed seat assembly, is how immediately clear it is to understand exactly how the seat raising mechanism operates and functions.

You may already have explained this elsewhere, but what have you used for the fuselage frame tube members? (and how were they attached?) and what adhesive do you use to attach the litho plate (and PE) parts together?

Many thanks

Derek

9 hours ago, Derek B said:

what adhesive do you use to attach the litho plate (and PE) parts together?

+1..... although I thought you just used super glue? Is there anything different to attach those PE brackets to the carbon rod frame? 

Amazing work on a) starting again and b) lining everything up between the fuselage sides.... still don't know how you manage that, even in a jig!

Awesome update as usual Peter!

Craig

Hi again chaps :)

On 11/8/2020 at 1:06 AM, KiwiZac said:

Can we get a video of the seat height adjustment mechanism in action, Peter? :blink:

I'm so excited to follow along with this build. What an inspired choice of subject! I hope a 1/18 Charlie Brown is part of the plan, to recreate the photo which triggered this project.

A 1/18 Charlie Brown eh, I have never done a figure (can't paint...), but I would like to try one day :)

On 11/9/2020 at 10:53 AM, Derek B said:

Peter,

Your work never ceases to amaze me! I am just really catching up with this awesome scratch build; building a bi-plane is so different to anything else you could imagine and presents all sorts of unexpected new challenges to solve (you very quickly appreciate the very different engineering and design philosophies compared to later monocoque structures and just how important angles are!).

One great thing for me, looking at your assembled and installed seat assembly, is how immediately clear it is to understand exactly how the seat raising mechanism operates and functions.

You may already have explained this elsewhere, but what have you used for the fuselage frame tube members? (and how were they attached?) and what adhesive do you use to attach the litho plate (and PE) parts together?

Many thanks

Derek

Thanks Derek & great to hear from you again :)  Yes, it seems this is very much more an engineering subject than my previous builds, but that said I am really enjoying myself :)

..as far as cements go, I pretty much use Zap CA thin and medium for absolutely everything... sometimes, very rarely JB Weld for super strong structural joints but all teh brass, carbon rod, plastic etc is all CA.. seems to work if used with care..

On 11/9/2020 at 8:48 PM, Thomas Lund said:

This is SO inspiring !!! And I respect and envy your skills very much, but that just mean I'll have to work harder :evil_laugh:

I recently got my hands on some this alu plate - kinda feels like a soda can, only flat - is that the same as your litho plate ??

Hi Thomas - certainly sounds like it - should be ultra thin and quite stiff & resistant to bending unless you heat it..

so, only a few pics, but this has been a lot of work...

..the rudder pedals & control assembly seen here in a lovely old ink drawing...

notice the pedestal assembly, the star control wheel assembly, the pedals & pistons... all need to be made..

VNsZtZ.jpg

..started at the bottom with the pedestal - this is just tube and tiny litho bits to look like a casting..

H310a8.jpg

..then the star wheel assembly with a PE star and some bits - the threaded rod is a watch part..

EkLRYM.jpg

..and the pedals and bar - the bar was pretty difficult - you can't see it well here but it is a complex casting I tried to copy in brass & solder... the pedals & hoops are a few PE bits but largely scratched..

NPkUhp.jpg

..and the whole lot stacked..

4r5tuM.jpg

R5ELss.jpg

E6vpIS.jpg

..starting to get closer to having the main control parts completed..

h0ph4l.jpg

..getting this into the fuselage frames and knowing when the right time to put all that together is becoming increasingly hard to determine...

until next time..

TTFN
Peter

Wow wow wow.  Amazing precision and dedication to detail.  Even at 1/18 this is going above and beyond - it looks like the 1/1 aircraft!  I assume you are designing all these photoetch pieces yourself and then having them made?  Maybe the full DIY lithography setup can be next on your list ;-)

afternoon ladies :)

On 11/11/2020 at 1:53 AM, Alex said:

Wow wow wow.  Amazing precision and dedication to detail.  Even at 1/18 this is going above and beyond - it looks like the 1/1 aircraft!  I assume you are designing all these photoetch pieces yourself and then having them made?  Maybe the full DIY lithography setup can be next on your list ;-)

Thanks Alex - appreciated! Yes, the PE I design and have PPD in Scotland make them for me, I would like to do it myself, but they make magic happen in a way I don't think I could :)

On 11/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Jiminy Cricket that’s nice!  Well done Peter.  Did I miss the F-Wulf finally or perhaps it was shelved?   I really enjoy all your efforts including the Tigercat and Firefly!   

Thanks Troy! no the Fw190 was shelved, much like the others you mention - each one has a place in my history, but I am not great at going back to them, so once a decision is made, for now it seems it's terminal...

..mind you, I count them as collateral damage as I do them and then hit on one I really enjoy every day like the Spit, P51 and now the Fury :)

not so much a WIP as a status update... but I found I had got to the point I really needed a jig I could put the side frames in and out of so I could work up assemblies that go in them..

..this is just a sheet of perspex with a drawing I made from the plan stuck to it and then a bunch of hold points that hold the spar / brass front end, and then the side frames in the right place & orientation..

i had missed the side frames are canted inwards after the seat - I thought that was further back, so they were amended too...

o4t5RT.jpg

poREzMLkj

..then all the control assemblies were painted & further detailed - this is the control column..

0AKwOL.jpg

..the rudder bar - used painted masking rubber again for the covering on the hoops..

uxWItt.jpg

..the kickboard assembly was made up and this is the heart of this whole subassembly - also added some control cables & fittings from a bunch of microscopic bits..

FJ0uW5.jpg

..that lot is now cemented into this one assembly which was done while in the jig so all the reference & touchpoits align..

3kkpyH.jpg

WfsxGS.jpg

..and test fitted in the jig...

U5hTsT.jpg

4G9jKn.jpg

SmjHq1.jpg

8UQon4.jpg

..and thats it for now, going to make the triangular fuel tank and start detailing the sidewalls next :)

TTFN

Peter