1/18 Hawker Fury

afternoon ladies :)

On 11/11/2020 at 1:53 AM, Alex said:

Wow wow wow.  Amazing precision and dedication to detail.  Even at 1/18 this is going above and beyond - it looks like the 1/1 aircraft!  I assume you are designing all these photoetch pieces yourself and then having them made?  Maybe the full DIY lithography setup can be next on your list ;-)

Thanks Alex - appreciated! Yes, the PE I design and have PPD in Scotland make them for me, I would like to do it myself, but they make magic happen in a way I don't think I could :)

On 11/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Jiminy Cricket that’s nice!  Well done Peter.  Did I miss the F-Wulf finally or perhaps it was shelved?   I really enjoy all your efforts including the Tigercat and Firefly!   

Thanks Troy! no the Fw190 was shelved, much like the others you mention - each one has a place in my history, but I am not great at going back to them, so once a decision is made, for now it seems it's terminal...

..mind you, I count them as collateral damage as I do them and then hit on one I really enjoy every day like the Spit, P51 and now the Fury :)

not so much a WIP as a status update... but I found I had got to the point I really needed a jig I could put the side frames in and out of so I could work up assemblies that go in them..

..this is just a sheet of perspex with a drawing I made from the plan stuck to it and then a bunch of hold points that hold the spar / brass front end, and then the side frames in the right place & orientation..

i had missed the side frames are canted inwards after the seat - I thought that was further back, so they were amended too...

o4t5RT.jpg

poREzMLkj

..then all the control assemblies were painted & further detailed - this is the control column..

0AKwOL.jpg

..the rudder bar - used painted masking rubber again for the covering on the hoops..

uxWItt.jpg

..the kickboard assembly was made up and this is the heart of this whole subassembly - also added some control cables & fittings from a bunch of microscopic bits..

FJ0uW5.jpg

..that lot is now cemented into this one assembly which was done while in the jig so all the reference & touchpoits align..

3kkpyH.jpg

WfsxGS.jpg

..and test fitted in the jig...

U5hTsT.jpg

4G9jKn.jpg

SmjHq1.jpg

8UQon4.jpg

..and thats it for now, going to make the triangular fuel tank and start detailing the sidewalls next :)

TTFN

Peter

1 hour ago, Sepp said:

I've looked through two dictionaries and a thesaurus, and I've found no words to adequately describe how good this is.

You could just go with English understatement - "nice"

Or if you want to add emphasis - "very nice indeed"

Hope that helps.

Peter, this build is the nicest I have seen since your last one. Thank you and keep up the splendid work.

LOL.  That is what I think/do, every time I see one of your updates Peter, because I could never replicate same in my current or former lifetime.  Like everyone else, I am in awe of your skills.

Having pointed out your threads to others, one of my modeling friends says that your work is from a "freak of modeling", which I think is one of the highest compliments possible.  According to the Cambridge Dictionary website (trying to stay close to your home), a freak is "a thing, person, animal, or event that is extremely unusual or unlikely, and not like any other of its type:"  The first is obviously you (which is not an animal!), while the rest of us are the usual "type" of our modeling species.  ;)

Model on Peter.  We all love your exacting, totally researched and perfectly executed creation of parts that no kit has ever made before.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Peter, you are truly a master craftsman. One of the most enjoyable parts of this hobby for me is to witness workmanship such as yours and the inspiration it gives me. As a young man, my modelling heroes were scratch-builders like Harry Woodman and George Lee, and later, Peter Cooke, Alan Clark, John Alcorn and a few others. In current times I can't think of any others that are in your league. Thank you for sharing your builds, and also for your commercial work that allows us mere modelers the opportunity to incorporate a fraction of that kind of detail into our efforts.

Sincerely,

Rockie