Infinity Models Aichi D3A Val

Jan_G

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

Hmmm, I will think hard about the folding wingtips option.

I usually build my navy types with wings folded, but with this ,it's not really worth it . Won't save much space like other navy types and not wanting to pay for it is another motivator. It would be nice if they would just include everything with the kit, like most do. I'll just get the kit and build it straight out of the box. But that's just me.

I always imagined this type of subject with spatted undercart, and in 1/32, was the kind of kit built just by old men — Whoops! Dotage beckons!

I used to think the same thing about 1/32 MiG-17s and the like. I should have realised what was happening. These things just happen all of a sudden.

Tony

For me I just need the basic kit I think.  This year is going to be expensive in time to get builds moving along and in buying subjects I never thought I would see come along and have appeared as a bolus of nicely done LSP kits. 

Kind regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

just read on Britmodeller this will most likely be the last IM kit, too few staff, complex to deliver, too much other work and not enough sales of their current IM kits. Unless we buy what people produce they won't continue in the market, there are so many people that knock these kits, personally I'd much rather have them with flaws than not have the opportunity to build them.  Such a shame if true.

neil

On 4/13/2023 at 6:59 PM, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Re thinking things a bit , I might just go with the wing fold add on. The rest ? I don't know yet , probably not.

The wings folds are a big part of the presentation of this completed model. I will break down and buy a set. 

57 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

The wings folds are a big part of the presentation of this completed model. I will break down and buy a set. 

Oh I hear you, I almost always display my naval types with wings folded . It just seems right to do so[ wish I didn't have to pay extra for this feature]. W2hen or if the 'Kate " comes out , will most definitely have to fold it's wings.

Actually too many people misunderstand the complexity to produce a plastic scale model and think Tamiya, GWH or Zoukei-Mura models are the current 'standard'! How wrong they are! It is not because this is possible than this is feasible for all companies! All cars are not built like Rolls Royce's and Bugattis even if they can still be very expensive. I have two Helldiver and two Vampire kits. I built most of a Vampire and the challenges were not worse than the ones I had to solve with many other short run kits... So, yes it is possible to avoid short run companies and kits with nasty building challenges but in that case do not complain if you just have less than twenty large scale kit options that can enter in your stash...! It is not funny but this is the actual situation of LSP building.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:14 AM, thierry laurent said:

Actually too many people misunderstand the complexity to produce a plastic scale model and think Tamiya, GWH or Zoukei-Mura models are the current 'standard'! How wrong they are! It is not because this is possible than this is feasible for all companies!

Well . . . ICM seems to have managed it.  Their Gladiators, I-16s, and I-153s (to name just three) have been very well received as quite accurate, well-designed, fit like a dream, and so on.

And ICM is small, compared to Tamiya.

1 hour ago, Mark_C said:

Well . . . ICM seems to have managed it.  Their Gladiators, I-16s, and I-153s (to name just three) have been very well received as quite accurate, well-designed, fit like a dream, and so on.

And ICM is small, compared to Tamiya.

True but all ICM LSP kits are small and quite simple trainers/fighters. For whatever reason ICM waited a loooonng time before releasing a really large scale complex model. They just did it with the CH-54 helicopter whereas they were already producing plastic kits for... twenty years? In comparison, Infinity just started producing plastic kits... three years ago? Very probably, they should have started first with simpler models.

I don't know if you already touched the initial ICM kits but their first AFV and 1/48 plane kits were far from being good. Assembly was so-so and molding quality was questionable... So, they managed to be one of the best actors on the scene but this took more than ten years!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is absolutely impossible to release a TOP quality product very quickly. Wingnuts Wings demonstrated this is possible. However, this is not surprisingly a matter of money as you need the best available tooling, the best researchers, the best CAD designers, etc. etc.