I'm leaving......

Jack

No, it doesn't (and no, I'm not the moderator being slighted here). Unless you're privy to the behind-the-scenes activities involved with the situation, then casting aspersions and making demands is extremely unhelpful, unwarranted, and unwelcome.

Kev

There are two sides to every story; my reaction is emotional - given the fact I know Jack for almost 15 years ... it must be bad if he wants to leave. The loss or potential loss of any one member - either way (good or bad) affects all of us - membership + moderators and we should all strive to prevent these kind of situations at all costs... Moderators are not immune to failure and neither is the membership. Some transparency is in order to maintain credibility.... I mean, come on - it takes a lot to get Jack to the point he wants to leave...

Kevin, I'm not calling you or your management of the site into question. Many of us want to know why somebody feels he has to leave...

Cheers

Alan

I honestly think a 'time-out' to break the momentum of this is sensible.

Threads like this IMHO only exacerbate issues as would extrapolating in public.

I'm privy to the behind the scenes and honestly, if everyone took 24hours and chilled, pressed the reset button everything would be back to normal. No bridges being torched, no name calling...nothing frankly 'that' bad.

Mods make a call, just like a ref in a sporting game. Sometimes the teams are feistier than usual so the impact of refereeing increases. We see this all the time and often both teams end up unhappy but the ref is doing their best in a tricky spot where it's simply not possible to keep everyone happy.

Lets cut our mods some slack, trust that all they're about is keeping the peace and harmony on the site.

All they're after is members to get along as harmoniously as possible.

Matty

I think it is sad that a long term member has been frustrated to the point of bailing out, and hate to see anyone go, but I am sure he knows what is best for him and once he cools off and can think clearly will decide accordingly.

Beyond that, I think the less said about the incident the better.  Things take on a life of their own on the internet because the usual moderating influences of face-to-face contact are absent.  I know I have unintentionally offended and pissed off people, and others have certainly done the same to me.  I just drop it and move on...but that's just me.  It's hard to stay pissed off very long.

And I know online moderating is a thankless job.

Edited by Bryan

Jack! Please, no! Don't leave us. My beautiful Thunderbirds display would not have been possible without you! Chill for a while, get it out of your system, but a forum bailout hurts others more than one could imagine.

We'll miss you buddy!

Edited by ScottsGT

I have been on both sides of the desk (moderator and member) in too many fora to keep track. I agree with those who say "cut the mods some slack."

I don't know Jack, and don't know the issue(s). But I also know that this is a hobby. We all need to tone it down.

Remember the Revell "unbuidlable" Spitfire flame war? Some folks got tossed because they couldn't dial it back.

And I'm not implying anything about Jack, because as I said, I don't know him, and I don't know the issue.

Whatever the issue, sometimes those who are asked to police this place have to make a judgement call. If a member can't accept that call, then a time out (volunteer or enforced) will either give them a chance to cool down or confirm their decision to leave.

I hate to see a hobby dispute go so far, but I've seen it in modeling, Civil War reenacting, professional writing, and oh, yeah, politics. :innocent:

Edited by Bill Cross

I dont know what happened, but i'm sure it can be solved peacefully after a few days of reflection.

That would be very sad to lose Jack. Like many of us, i really like Jack. I cant ever realize what could  have happened, as every mods i know here are nice guys, too. There must be a huge misunderstanding.

I'm sure he'll be back after a while.

I've had a rest from the forum for a couple of weeks & I've benefitted from it. But I'm looking forward to catching up with what I've missed - I expect Rog has bought another couple of dozen kits whilst I was away?

It's always difficult when someone gets put out ... and rightly, or wrongly, decides to leave because of it.

It is never acceptable though, to 'air' a private grievance in a public forum ... or for third parties to become involved inside that public forum.

If I end up in situation where I'm getting increasingly frustrated with someone ... anyone (including moderators or admin) ...

I have no problem with taking it offscreen via PM with Admin or Mods ... this is done for a few reasons ...

1/ The issue is between two parties - no need to start some sort of gang war about it by including anyone else 

2/ I could end up making a complete Ar$ehole of myself in public by switching from heated discussion to outright attack - only to realise, once things have backed off, that perhaps I was over-reacting anyway.

3/ I tarnish the public perception of someone else, selfishly, because of my own view ... which may or may not be wrong ... which, in my humble opinion, is the worst of all the possible evils, as that mud can stick long after the issue is resolved between the originating antagonists.

4/ Reconciliation is made increasingly difficult because of the above.

It is important to remember, in this case a member is leaving of his own free will, not being axed! ... In every case I can recall where a member has been banned it has been with more than enough justification and after repeated attempts at communication by the site management.

In short ... I hope that whatever the situation is, it can be resolved to satisfy all parties involved ... I don't want or need to know what happened, is happening or what will ensue in what was (at least prior to this thread) a private matter ... and neither should anyone else unless it is to mediate off screen!

---------------------------

I'm sure he'll be back after a while.

I've had a rest from the forum for a couple of weeks & I've benefitted from it. But I'm looking forward to catching up with what I've missed - I expect Rog has bought another couple of dozen kits whilst I was away?

:D ... lol ... I can't quite remember when you started your holiday ... but you know the thread to look on ;)

I do have some more stuff on the way though ... I'm about to find out how good Brian Fawcetts Ju-87B correction set is and land another couple of Trumpeter Stukas.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

I had some time to think this over - we all need a break at some point and time to self reflect. At the end of the day we're all on the same team and all want the same things in life! Hope to see you back Jack! Hej, I kinda like the sound of that - it rhymes!!

Cheers

Alan