1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Looking good, do you know what the wing root fillet bulge is for on the leading edge panel? as i cant see it on this?

http://spitfiresite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/9085352047_87000bcccc_o.jpg

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/22725/vickers-supermarine-spitfire-xiv-nh799

The MKX1X had one on the other side as the engine breathers on those ran down the right wing root and back into the aircraft eventually breathing aft of the camera ports, this was to stop oil smearing on the windows in flight. I wonder if there was a loom there? I know the 19 had one put on the stb side during the rebuild that was simply to aid clearance over the spar..

Stunning so far..

Edited by TonyT

Awesome!.....

....Again!!!!  :coolio:

After every post Peter does here, I think "Now, how's he going to tackle the next bit" and then he comes along and makes it look all so easy. I'm sure it isn't, but skinning some of those compound curves is amazing to watch. I wish I had the nerve to try.

Ready and waiting for the next installment!  :popcorn:

Best regards;
Steve

Awesome- as usual! 

Just a thought Peter, but if this was my model and I was able to accomplish what you have (and will), I would go out of my way to paint as little as possible, even at the expense of accuracy.  The beauty of this model IS THE METAL FINISH, along with your spectacular skill at making it come alive.  Your subject says "Edmonton" on it anyway and everyone here in Calgary (300 km south of Edmonton) knows that the only thing positive that came out of Edmonton is Wayne Gretzky- and even he left to live in Arizona!  :P

Edited by chuck540z3

Peter,

How well you pulled off that wing fillet panel gives me hope that I might be able to do the same for the '17, but then I remember that you are a modelling prodigy, and I am not. Not even close :) it's been a while since I've been able to catch up with your work, and you certainly haven't disappointed!

Craig

thanks for dropping in folks :)

Epic, how are you going to clean up the trailing edge of the wing and the fairing?

Hi Cees - well the wing skins themselves are a couple of mm too long for now - they end where the double row of rivets is, so once I have the lower skin I can work them together like the ailerons - it actuall cleans up to a nice sharp edge. The fillet has a separate edge panel that wraps around the apex so will do this when the bottom panel is there too

..I have been taping slitted clear plaictic tube on all the edges as they get easily damaged so have to be pretty careful..

WIP888_zpsvpbd70vk.jpg

Looking good, do you know what the wing root fillet bulge is for on the leading edge panel? as i cant see it on this?

http://spitfiresite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/9085352047_87000bcccc_o.jpg

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/22725/vickers-supermarine-spitfire-xiv-nh799

The MKX1X had one on the other side as the engine breathers on those ran down the right wing root and back into the aircraft eventually breathing aft of the camera ports, this was to stop oil smearing on the windows in flight. I wonder if there was a loom there? I know the 19 had one put on the stb side during the rebuild that was simply to aid clearance over the spar..

Stunning so far..

Thanks Tony - alweays welcome your expertise - looks like you are right - I got the idea from this XIV in Palm Springs..

WIP886_zps4qxabwkp.jpg

WIP887_zpslephfrgy.jpg

..but now you mention it, I can't see it on Race #80 - goes to show there were so many subtle differences all over the place, I don't think any 2 Spits of the same Mark are the same anywhere..

I will take it off I think as its only stuck on..

Awesome- as usual! 

Just a thought Peter, but if this was my model and I was able to accomplish what you have (and will), I would go out of my way to paint as little as possible, even at the expense of accuracy.  The beauty of this model IS THE METAL FINISH, along with your spectacular skill at making it come alive.  Your subject says "Edmonton" on it anyway and everyone here in Calgary (300 km south of Edmonton) knows that the only thing positive that came out of Edmonton is Wayne Gretzky- and even he left to live in Arizona!  :P

Hi Chuck - there will only be the race markings - a cheatline, a couple of numbers and logos and thats it - the rest will be natural metal - the more pics I find, the more I see she was polished so have been experimenting with that finish,,

the only danger in all of this is I don't know how decals will react, or paint on this surface and have them stick - I better to speak to someone who does it for real, on real warbirds!

WIP891_zpsfyeedfjj.jpg

WIP889_zpskjlheaup.jpg

WIP890_zpsmzzbaqgy.jpg

TTFN

Peter

With my limited experiments of decals onto aluminium foil, I think you will see the decal film around each design even if you clearcoat the model.  That you may have to do anyway to prevent oxidation.  Considering the scale, it might be worth cutting masks and painting the markings on instead.  Or perhaps making rubdown transfers?  The other alternative I can think of would be HGW's method of wet transfer with a film that you then peel off so no carrier film remains on the model.

Jens

Awesome!

Id have to say after dinking around with foil, and paint/decals for so long, Id probably say Jens is correct. However, I have also found that if the metal surface is grained properly, lacquer and enamel paint do VERY well on foil, and probably even better on a thicker grained stable surface like litho. 

If this were mine I would skip the decals altogether, and considering its 1/18th, Id go for paint and paint masks for everything. Ive got lettering paint masks for my "Happy Jacks Go Buggy" in 1/32nd that turned out pretty nice, and Id venture to say that doing it in 1/18th would come out even better

Hells bells,

Im sure you already have sources for paint masks, but with my mask cutter and upgraded software I can import vectors and would gladly cut you out anything you needed if you needed. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

I hand painted all the markings on my metal skinned planes. Enamels stick well, although you might consider using metal primer underneath. I'd go for custom masks and hand-painting if I were you...

looking awesome as always by the way!

If this was a MkIX Spit, I would say the bulges at the wing root fillets were to give room for the cooling pipes to bend round and run to the radiators. My guess is it is the same for your Spit but don't hold me to it. Not sure if the cooling pipes had the same configuration with a Griffon power plant.

Good job BTW.

Cheers

Don